Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Highboost73 - 3.16.10, 5:04 am Post #11: | Reply With Quote
WannaTRDsc, I have a set on the way.

Animal, yes those are the OFNA wheels, They come in 3 colors that i have found, no chrome. just black, that gray and white. and yeah they will fit any 2.2 3.0 SC tire. They have and extra rib that makes getting the foam to lay right a pain, but they sure look nice.
Slash VXL,2x Rustler SC VXL, SCX10, Team C TS2, RC8BE FT, Circuit, 1/10 Losi Slider, S107G,Warhawk,Volitation, Chinook.
"Experienced user"
svs - 3.16.10, 7:21 am Post #12: | Reply With Quote
Highboost73 said
SVS, where at in ND? I am near Minot. I will let you know as some I find my top 3 but as of now with no snow use they all are pretty good. They all shine in different places or for different styles of driving. My wife loves a set that I hate (switch) as they are more forgiving as she learns. I will let you know though buddy. Enjoy the warm up, and I hope you are not in flood country!
I am near Bismarck, so we're pretty close! I'm on the safe side though and I'm not by any rivers or lakes or anything. I'll be watching this thread, this is great info and I'm very new to this hobby, and know very little about tires/wheels. You enjoy the warm up too!
"Experienced user"
Highboost73 - 3.16.10, 4:26 pm Post #13: | Reply With Quote
SVS, we will have to hook and bash when the weather is good. You know about the racing in Surrey and Mandan right?

OK, well I had a chance to run a set today and boy have things changed. I will not put a number to it because I am only grading against the other tires I have... like a boxing match.
Anyways. I ran the Dirt Diggers from RC4WD and they blew me away! As bad as they were on snow and ice and slush, the are really good on warmish (46.7F) and amazed me in the mud and wet gravel. I tried like heck to get the truck stuck in the slimy mud but couldn't. I would still stick on high centers and such. They were also pretty good in the wet leafy grass in my yard. I am not going to count thins in my "spring terrain" review but I was amazed at the change they made. When I get a chance to run them all the same day/place I will have it up for y'all. I also have 3 or 4 new set on the way that I am wait to include.
Slash VXL,2x Rustler SC VXL, SCX10, Team C TS2, RC8BE FT, Circuit, 1/10 Losi Slider, S107G,Warhawk,Volitation, Chinook.
"Experienced user"
svs - 3.17.10, 6:59 am Post #14: | Reply With Quote
Highboost73 said
SVS, we will have to hook and bash when the weather is good. You know about the racing in Surrey and Mandan right?
I agree, that would be fun! I didn't know about the racing in Surrey, but I knew they had an indoor and outdoor track in Mandan, I just don't know any of the details and have only watched 1 indoor race.

*edit* I was wondering why you didn't review the Geolanders? I've been told on another thread that those are pretty much the best tires you can get for off road use...
(Last edited by svs : 3.18.10 at 7:36 am)
"Experienced user"
Highboost73 - 3.19.10, 9:51 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
SVS, right now I am I am only going through the SC tires. I have had Geolanders and I really did like them. For 2.2 under my trucks I have found that up here the Geolander and Gladiators work awesome, but my favorite tire is the Academy WildTrac. It is cheap on Amain, and I could believe how well it worked.

OK, I got out the other day to do some non-snow testing. I went to a dirt parking lot the was wet to damp, bordered by a grassy field, a dry gravel road and a paved road. It was cold (28-33 id say). I didn't have all the tires out but I did get to test the HPI ATTK, the Proline Bowtie, and the JConcepts Goosebumps. I did not set up timed tests this time but I did run then in a circuit consisting of all terrains in one lap. Each set got a full pack 5000mah+ run through so I could get a good feel for them. I will rate them Overall as well as in each terrain separately

HPI ATTK: Overall 8 Wet/Damp 8 Grass 8 Gravel 6 Asphalt 9

This set was the best overall of the three. I had consistent take off, turning and line holding on all surfaces except the dry gravel. The truck was very controllable, and could drive very aggressively. You could steer through the damp corners with the front tires or the throttle or both. they also stayed clean in the wet sticky stuff. They had tons of traction on the asphalt, and could get through the layer of dirt where the gravel met the asphalt. They were not the best on every surface but were the best when going from one to the next like I was.

JConcepts Goosebumps: Overall 8 Wet/Damp 8 Grass 7 Gravel 9 Asphalt 7

This tire was great... kinda. They had an incredible amount of forward bite, but that caused them to be more of a handful in the corners. They would not slide corners consistently. This tire would slide the first part of the corner in the damp/wet sandy loam parking lot well. Midway through the corner the truck would stop sliding and start pushing. If you got out of the throttle, and back in before you wanted to go straight... to bad you are going straight. They were similar in the grass. They had a ton of grip on the asphalt and would turn well, but the soft foams leaned pretty bad. A firmer foam would help here. The soft foam mad this tire shine in the gravel. This is THE MOST controllable tire I have ever run in the gravel up here. Not just SC tires, out of ALL the tires I have ever had! They were awesome. Everything I wanted them to do they did. They held a line at high speed and would turn on a dime, by pitching into a beautiful very controllable slide. If I needed to turn in faster left off and tap the brake and around it came. The rears do balloon up really bad with brushless and 2s, so some tape inside the rears may help that.

Proline Bowtie: Overall 7 Wet/Damp 6 Grass 8 Gravel 6 Asphalt 8

On the asphalt these things were hooked up. They also held their own in the grass. On the dry gravel road they were awful, But I did not expect them to be good here. Now, in the damp/wet gravel it was a toss up. They turned really well but lacked forward bite. It was also easy to over turn with them, and loop out if not careful. They also did not clean out very well. It is hard to explain but I will try. On the damp gravel the fronts were awesome, and the rears had great side bite. Once under power in the corner, or if you were sliding a corner a lower throttle levels and grab a handful of throttle you would spin out. In the same situation, if you didn't get enough throttle the side bite would over come and not really traction roll but lighten up the inside enough to make it hard to be consistent. They did well in the short layed down grass i was running and were the only tire to have the side bite to roll the truck. they were 3rd of the three because of the gravel, and the inconsistency on the damp/wet surface.

I wanted to try the Goosebumps out back with the Bowties in the front and see how that was but I got cold and went home. I hope to try some more tires tomorrow and will try to get some video of them running.
(Last edited by Highboost73 : 3.19.10 at 9:57 pm)
"Experienced user"
Highboost73 - 3.22.10, 2:35 am Post #16: | Reply With Quote
OK, I got in 3 of the 4 new tires I will be testing. Newcomers are Ofna Hyper 10sc tires, HPI Trepador S compound, and Traxxas S1 2wd tires.

So far I have run the Hyper's and the Trepadors. They both seem to be great all around tires up here in ND. Neither like wet grass, but no worse then any other tires. The hypers did real well in wet grass, where the HPI's would spin. In damp/wet sandy loam the Hyper's and HPI;s were pretty even. When wet on pavement and concrete the HPI;s had the edge but on the dry the Hyper's were better. I have not run the S1 compounds yet. I hope one day to be able to get all 11 out in one place at one time. here are some pick of the new once to compare height and width to a 2.2 Proline Gladiator, as well as other SC tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newthree1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	18449  Click image for larger version

Name:	newthree.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	18450  
"Experienced user"
mountaingoatboy - 3.25.10, 8:56 am Post #17: | Reply With Quote
thanks for the info!!!!
"Experienced user"
BrushlessWonder - 3.26.10, 6:11 pm Post #18: | Reply With Quote
Yeah Highboost - this is really a GREAT contribution to the forum (and mankind) - thanks for your time in all this, not to mention the all money in tire sets ;-)
Brushless - When it absolutely positively has to get there upside down...
"Experienced user"
Highboost73 - 3.27.10, 12:19 am Post #19: | Reply With Quote
I got a quick run on the traxxas S1 tires and they are amazing compared to the stock slash tires. I could not believe it. I have yet to find the right terrain to run these as they are to soft for pavement and traction roll real bad, but they dont hook up in grass like I want. I hope this weekend will be nice so I can get them all out on the dirt. I won't be track type dirt but the spot I have my eye on is a mix of loose, wet, dry and hard all in one, and it's sandy in some spot and more clay in others and every thing in between. ND really needs this warm front to come in and melt the snow off and dry all the mud up! I will let y'all know what I get done, as it will be something
"Experienced user"
Lonnz - 9.08.16, 6:13 pm Post #20: | Reply With Quote
Very informative thanks
J.E.T.S