Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
FireFrenzy - 10.30.10, 9:26 am Post #11: | Reply With Quote
well i can prolly afford the few bucks for the shock mounts... I have a line on some RC8be shocks...
Here's to hoping the dude didnt already sell them off when he was telling people to "pm me if you see somethign you want" with a pic of an RC8be roller and a box of spares for sale...
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 10.30.10, 9:23 pm Post #12: | Reply With Quote
Went to the #55 pistons with 20wt at all four corners. The #56 pistons were way too slow on 20wt, I would have had to go to 15wt or even 10wt, or up a good pound in spring rate... and I'm just too lazy for that. I want 20wt all the way around, just for ease of tuning and rebuilding.

For springs, Green (3.1 rate) in the rear, Silver (2.8 rate) in the front. Did some rough-terrain testing today, but no jumps yet. It's sooooooo smooth and fluid. Tomorrow's tests will be off of the modest jumps on my home track, and some time on the pavement to see if the plushness of the suspension action leads to too much body roll.

I still can't get over how awesome these shocks are. My Slash ain't no lightweight. RTR with my bashing body, it's 6lbs 14.5oz, a good pound more than a stock Slash-- and these shocks make it feel like a 1/10th scale buggy. Everyone should have 8ight shocks on their Slash. They're just that good.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"Experienced user"
FireFrenzy - 11.01.10, 12:31 am Post #13: | Reply With Quote
Hey i havent been able to find this but just how long are those shocks? I have aftermarket front and rear shock towers and i want to try and find out if i can use the truggy shocks all around or if i need buggy fronts...
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 11.01.10, 1:18 am Post #14: | Reply With Quote
Roughly 4.4" eye to eye.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"Experienced user"
LamoraK - 11.01.10, 10:42 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
Dr. Isotope,

What thickness Alu was used for the front tower?
"Tic-Tac, sir?"
randomletterz - 11.01.10, 10:53 pm Post #16: | Reply With Quote
looks like 1/8 inch or maybe 4mm.
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 11.02.10, 7:15 am Post #17: | Reply With Quote
It's .193", which converts to 4.9mm.
"Experienced user"
FireFrenzy - 11.08.10, 11:31 pm Post #18: | Reply With Quote
So 2H-MD, you said something about mounting these shocks with a piece of fuel tubing, could you elaborate on that some more? ie "how did you do it and how do i know if i did it right?"
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 11.08.10, 11:39 pm Post #19: | Reply With Quote
Run a screw through the back of the shock tower, so it sticks out of the front about 3/4". Put on a few washers, then a piece of fuel tubing (I actually used weed-whacker fuel line during my testing) and use that section of tubing as a bushing for the shock. Then put a washer in front of it, and tighten it down with a 3mm locknut.
"Experienced user"
FireFrenzy - 11.09.10, 1:41 am Post #20: | Reply With Quote
thnx man... Wonder what 2" of fuel tubing is going to cost me:P think my LHS only sells it by the yard or there abouts