ok i have some time this morning so i did one of my favorite things in life, tranny tear down!
despite outward appearances the internals were more then satisfactory, the diff was in great shape though i rebuilt it anyway since i have a preferred lubricant and method, the top gear was the steel unit, that will be swapped out for a machined plastic trx team gear, the idler has been worn down a bit but is still totally usable. im going to try a cut down on it too. way way back in the days of brushed motors racers and mfg's would sell and make gears that were thinner to reduce driveline drag. since im running a 19dbl this ought to be totally fine and should give me a bit more gearing wiggle room.
diff all reassembled
the lubricant i use for the diff, its lithium based (and long since discontinued) grease but i dont use much of it and ive got plenty
as i said this is going to be an asphalt car so i need asphalt tires
mounting the fronts will be somewhat tricky but ive got some plans
the other issue with these is their size, they are tiny! about 2 3/4 inches in diameter. im going to need to gear way way up, probably 78/25 if not taller still. i may need to find a smaller spur like in the 65-75 range
(compared to a gladiator 2.2 truck)
Florida Oval Racer | Vintage traxxas collector | Mad Scientist