Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
turducken34 - 11.02.15, 11:55 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I picked up a T-Maxx 3.3 in a trade and the gears in the steering servo were stripped. I bought a new one which promptly suffered the same fate. I pulled a servo from an HPI mt 1/8th scale and that servo won't even turn the wheels when the truck sits on the ground. I'm assuming it keeps going through servos b/c everything had been upgraded to metal parts with the exception of the rear bumper. Can anyone recommend a servo that can handle the job? Thank you.
"Experienced user"
mudbug85603 - 11.02.15, 1:32 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
The alloy parts should have no ill effects on the steering. First thing you need to do is look for potential binding or bent parts. That the servo saver is working properly. Be sure the end points for what ever servo you end up with are set properly.

You mentioned no budget so I'll start with a Solar D772 for a budget servo. Then move on to the Hitec 7954 or 7955 for a top end unit. I run both the 772 and the 7954 in 2 of my 100% alloy Maxx's with no problems what-so-ever.

No matter what brand servo you end up with, as long as it has the specs of the above mentioned servo's you should be alright.
If it ain't broke...... Don't fix it
SCX10 Honcho and Rubicon Vanquish, Beef Tubes, Locked up, Level3, Junfac
1/10 Summit DeWalt 820
Basher - Modified FLM LCG Maxx Leopard 4292 1480Kv HW Max 8
Road/Track - FLM Extended Maxx KD 4282 2000Kv HW Max 8
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 11.18.15, 12:28 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
The alloy parts are almost certainly weighing-down the vehicle, putting more pressure on the tires and making it harder for the steering servo to steer them. Steering when the wheels aren't rolling is called "dry steering", and throughout history it's been the most common cause of steering-system failure on anything with wheels. Dry steering grinds the tires into the ground, and that adds a ton of resistance that isn't there when the wheels are rolling. Increasing the caster on the front wheels by sliding the upper A-arms backwards as far as possible will make it a little easier to steer when the wheels aren't rolling, but ultimately you'll need a better servo because your T-Maxx is overweight. The Hitec HS-7955TG is a great servo; I've never managed to break one even on my rock crawler. Buy one of those and save yourself some money in the long run.
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.
"Experienced user"
mudbug85603 - 11.18.15, 5:11 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
fyrstormer said
The alloy parts are almost certainly weighing-down the vehicle, ultimately you'll need a better servo because your T-Maxx is overweight. .
Getting off topic here but, just gotta ask this question.
Fyrstormer, have you ever built or run an all alloy vehicle?
Both my Maxx's are 100% alloy, one weighing in at 10.8 Lbs and the other at 11.0 Lbs. A stock 3908 weighs in at 10 Lbs.
Not a real big weight difference there.
Through all my years of running and building custom R/C's So many people condemn the use of alloy, when most times they themselves have never used it. If they have it's been in very limited applications.
Myself not being a fan of Traxxas servos or the dual setup. If one was inclined to do so the twin 2075's would handle a 100% alloy Maxx with no problem. That being said I would once again recommend the Solar D771 or D772 or the Hitec 7954 or 7955. But any quality servo with the specs of those a fore mentioned servos will work just fine.
Would also like to add that those same servos would be my recommendation for an all plastic Maxx also.
(Last edited by mudbug85603 : 11.18.15 at 11:27 am)
If it ain't broke...... Don't fix it
SCX10 Honcho and Rubicon Vanquish, Beef Tubes, Locked up, Level3, Junfac
1/10 Summit DeWalt 820
Basher - Modified FLM LCG Maxx Leopard 4292 1480Kv HW Max 8
Road/Track - FLM Extended Maxx KD 4282 2000Kv HW Max 8
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 11.18.15, 1:41 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Your alloy T-Maxxes are a couple pounds lighter than the reported weights of other people's alloy T-Maxxes. But even so, yours weighs 10% more than stock, which is significant from the perspective of the tiny engine and the tiny motor in the steering servo, even if it doesn't feel like much when you lift it in your hands.
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.