Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
John Smith - 11.24.15, 2:26 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 10); line-height: 120%; text-align: left; }p.western { font-family: "Liberation Serif",serif; font-size: 12pt; }p.cjk { font-family: "Droid Sans Fallback"; font-size: 12pt; }p.ctl { font-family: "FreeSans"; font-size: 12pt; }a:link { } Hello everyone,

We are looking to find an RC 4x4 truck for our son.

Up to know, we bought multiples cheap (20 30 $) crawler that broke and we have to throw them away at one point.

We are investigating the option we have for higher end RC model and we found Traxxas and LaTrax (From Traxxas).

Can someone explain us the big differences there is between Traxxas and LaTrax?

I know that Traxxas after market is huge what about LaTrax?

At that point I guess that Traxxas is much more superior RC but this is just based on the price. I would like to make a more educated decision but I cannot find anybody who talk about the distinction between Traxass and LaTrax RC.

If anyone can bring any details I will really appreciated.
Quality, upgradeable , fixable and fun factor how can we measure those two?
On a track, one vs. the other is this a night and day comparison?

Thank you very much,

John
"Vacationing user"
jimbo74 - 11.26.15, 3:25 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
LaTrax is still toy grade.... I wouldn't have a LaTrax if someone gave it to me.. if you leave it stock, it is fine, but other than that... there really isn't an aftermarket for them, and they just aren't as good. Also, they are mini - mini is not good for beginners, not matter how cute they are

get them a 1/10th slash - more $ - but a lot more durable, with tons of aftermarket support

the difference is supposed to be LaTrax is the budget version...... Also, they only have the 1/18th scale.... (well, I guess they do have air vehicles too)
(Last edited by jimbo74 : 11.26.15 at 3:54 am)
"Experienced user"
Heeelmooi - 11.26.15, 5:29 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
LaTrax is just Traxxas' brand for youngsters. To me they're absolutely the same. The Teton actually has quite a lot of after market support and most of the parts are the same on the others:

(watch this on YouTube for more options)

also this:

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219413

As far recommendations go I agree with Jimbo: If you want the most pain free experience get a 2wd Stampede, Rustler, Bandit or Slash. They're great to drive, you can get parts everywhere and the after market is unmatched. Also it comes with everything you need.

here's Jang's reviews:

(Last edited by Heeelmooi : 11.29.15 at 11:51 am)
Check out my youtube channel: HeeelMooi

Mad Force VE, Bear Hawk, Wild Willy 2, MT4 G3, Losi 8ight-T 2.0, Vorza, HK Monster Beatle, RC8e, Shoterned D8T, p2de, NC MT 1/16 NC SCT, P4de, Traxxas X-Maxx
"Experienced user"
John Smith - 11.26.15, 9:12 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Thank you for those details.
In the mean time I went to my local hobby shop.

They sales traxxas.

I have to admit that just on the stampede this is not the option that are missing.

Stampede XL-5
Stampede 4x4 XL-5

Stamped VXL
Stampede 4X4 VXL

For bashing for a 6 year old what will be the best for fun and why?

We do not plan to race.

Thank you again.
"Vacationing user"
jimbo74 - 11.28.15, 11:49 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
They will all be equally fun, however, in stock form, the vxl stampede 4x4 is the best out of those
"sweet n power chicken things"
wheelin71 - 11.29.15, 12:35 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
I would have to agree with jimbo too. Bear in mind the 4x4s are a little harder to work on when needed, and have a little more maintenance involved. But can be run in areas that are frustrating with the other models. Your son could keep this truck for many years if he chooses to. That's the beauty of good hobby grade rcs. I've had my stampede 4x4 Vxl since they first came out, going on five years now I believe.
ERBE, LNC, 2x Summit, 4pede, Trail Trekker, Savage Flux HP XL, X Maxx, Ascender k5 and k10
"Experienced user"
Newbie101 - 11.29.15, 1:11 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
I cant keep one truck for over 2 years! I always trade my cars. first I traded my TT-01 for a p2de. than the p2de for a p4de. than the p4de for a Savage XL 5.9 I have kept my slash 4x4 though. a stampede 4x4 would be a good choice for your son
Hpi Savage XL Electric with Castle Creations MMX ESC/2200kv motor and Savox SB-2274-SG and Spektrum DX4C with AVC Receiver

If I knew what I was doing, I'd be done a long time ago...
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 11.29.15, 5:31 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
If cost is not an issue, I'd go Stampede4x4. Truck can grow with him. 6year old can catch on quickly. Especially if they have a good space to drive in.
Can start him on the stock nimh batteries. Then move up to Lipo.
I'm also on year 5 with mine. Plus bought one for my nephew 4 months ago. Have also helped hobby store sell around 30+ over past 5 years. Most of these are still used and in mostly stock form. While most of us here like messing with are vehicles. Average owner doesn't.
"Professional Goon"
RustyRC - 12.15.15, 5:15 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
At least the latrax cars have a metal drivetrain. hahhaha
I win 9 times outa 10, every time
Slash 4x4 Ultimate LCG
MERV
Slayer Pro 4x4
HONDA CR250- FMF Gnarly Pipe
"Experienced user"
pbodyjel - 12.27.15, 4:24 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
so after owning the p2de xl5 and the p4de vxl and summit merv and latrax teton i can say hands down my cheapest and easiest to maintain in my gravedigger p2de. for about 300 dollars you can make that almost indestructible as long as you stay brushed. (this rc has and always will be brushed for me) that will still allow you enough speed to have a blast. i have had for it 3 years now and only ever replaced one drive shaft and the motors. and i can say i have driven it the most as well. the teton is also an amazing rc. in stock form its fantastic. just have to drop in some rc mt 18 ball diffs.and as long as you stay brushed. it should hold up a long time. also the teton design is so simple that even with the most intrusive tear down you can have it up and running in an hour if that. really you can go wrong with either of those options. but if there was a winner for fun and durability i say p2de.

also do not rule out brushed rcs. they can be just as fun as brushless. it depends on what you are after. my teton and my p4de 4x4 are brushless and both upgraded an can rip around at about 40mph. but i still love bashing my gravedigger p2de. i suggest watching rc reviews and pay attention to how they preform and drive. not to what the reviewer is saying.. if it looks fun on the screen to you and your son. then chances are you will have a blast driving them.
i love.. not like... love my summit. not as much as my si though.