Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Certified Music Junkie"
JesterTheJoker - 9.28.16, 3:16 pm Post #21: | Reply With Quote
phildogg said
Hey duhjun: so when we reverse the shaft leave the eclip off? and just tighten the grub screws down is all? lmk bro just ordered a motor. lol
thats it, on my motor the e-clip wasnt doing anything anyways
"My garden is life itself, in the sense that every aspect of it should be taken care of and tended to as you would a rose, trimming off dead leaves and excess, being left with raw beauty, and perfection in my own mind. " - Jester
"Experienced user"
phildogg - 9.28.16, 5:12 pm Post #22: | Reply With Quote
cool thanks bro. what kind of motor did you use?
Mugen mgt7E 6s 134mph
slash 4x4 163mph 8s
Arrma typhon 140 and climbing.
castle powered
Youtube: philip jolley
"Certified Music Junkie"
JesterTheJoker - 9.28.16, 5:20 pm Post #23: | Reply With Quote
phildogg said
cool thanks bro. what kind of motor did you use?
Blitz rc 3715-01c 820KV motor
"My garden is life itself, in the sense that every aspect of it should be taken care of and tended to as you would a rose, trimming off dead leaves and excess, being left with raw beauty, and perfection in my own mind. " - Jester
"Experienced user"
duhjun - 9.30.16, 9:30 pm Post #24: | Reply With Quote
Yeah, the grub screw is what matters the most, in this type of application. Look forward to hearing your all's experiences.

I believe the motor you see in the picture below would work well, if anyone wanted to buy one that had the proper shaft position. Only ships from HK's Int'l warehouse, but not bad for $25.
I bought it to try out in my short wheelbase SCX10 Telluride, after it struggled to get up a rocky, mountain trail, running a 2-pole Turnigy TrackStar 17.5T brushless inrunner, earlier this summer.
Pretty much all outrunners have no flat spots on their shaft, for those who are unfamiliar with them, so you have to grind one yourself, in order to tighten down a pinion grub screw.

A.K.A. rcdabbler on other social media platforms, and johnnyluv on rccrawler forums.
"Experienced user"
phildogg - 10.01.16, 4:56 am Post #25: | Reply With Quote
nice looking little motor, I ended up buying a turnigy 3542 1100kv, i tried it in my senton sct 4x4. i believe the truck is alittle heavy because after some 4s runs it was heating up so i stopped running. I will move it to the rusty later prob. more suited there. where can i find a good larger outrunner?
Mugen mgt7E 6s 134mph
slash 4x4 163mph 8s
Arrma typhon 140 and climbing.
castle powered
Youtube: philip jolley
"Experienced user"
duhjun - 10.01.16, 5:13 pm Post #26: | Reply With Quote
Yeah, I was thinking it wouldn't be so great for a 4x4 SCT, because of the heavier load. I've measured 144 on my 3542 1250kv, and that's on a lighter 2WD, doing speeds up to about 40mph, I'm guessing. You have to hunt & peck to find the ideal outrunner for this application, because in many cases it'll be a big, but too low of a KV, or the shaft will be 4mm.
A.K.A. rcdabbler on other social media platforms, and johnnyluv on rccrawler forums.
"Certified Music Junkie"
JesterTheJoker - 10.02.16, 8:24 am Post #27: | Reply With Quote
duhjun said
Yeah, I was thinking it wouldn't be so great for a 4x4 SCT, because of the heavier load. I've measured 144 on my 3542 1250kv, and that's on a lighter 2WD, doing speeds up to about 40mph, I'm guessing. You have to hunt & peck to find the ideal outrunner for this application, because in many cases it'll be a big, but too low of a KV, or the shaft will be 4mm.
i have one with a 4MM shaft, and ive got a feeling its "big. but to low of a KV". Mine is also 6 or 8 poles ._.
"Experienced user"
duhjun - 10.12.16, 4:06 pm Post #28: | Reply With Quote
Goodness, me! It's only been a few weeks and already I intend to make a major change to my Slash.

Perhaps inspired by the Autumn/Halloween season, I thought some green RPM A-arms would match that fluorescent orange "Gordini" body quite well. While I was shopping in the RPM section on Tower, I espied the Hybrid Gearbox Housing, which was also available in green, and I greatly desired it, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to keep the brushless outrunner motor, because I wouldn't want to drill or dremel that nice housing, just to make one motor fit. At the same time, I had just done all this work to get such a cool setup.

Well, I went ahead and ordered it, along with the A-arms, figuring I could use one of my standard brushless inrunners, and later on, I could swap it all back over. Earlier today, as I thought about this whole idea, it gnawed at me, because I didn't want to undo all the work I'd done on my current gearbox, and then the light bulb came on! Why not get a set of transmission internals and make a completely separate tranny, with its own motor? That way, I could easily switch from one setup to another, only by disconnecting the drive shafts and motor wires. I quickly jumped on eBay and found a complete tranny (last one!) with the spur & slipper intact (which was a bonus, since most of them were missing the spur & slipper, and that costs about $30 or so, to buy separately).

I know that this is not some brilliant breakthrough, but I'm excited about it, because I really think this green RPM gearbox will look great, especially with the purple colored motor I intend to mount to it. After the holidays, or perhaps much later, like in the spring time, I'll switch back to the outrunner setup. After all, an outrunner is more vulnerable to debris, which there'll be more of, during the fall & winter months.

(Last edited by duhjun : 10.12.16 at 4:09 pm)
"Experienced user"
duhjun - 11.15.16, 2:38 pm Post #29: | Reply With Quote
Alright, a little update.

My Slash has officially been RPM'ized. This is the first RC I've ever put so many RPM parts on, and I have to say that I am pretty fond of the quality of them all. The green really enhanced the orange Gordini Edition body. Something else I did was go ahead and upgrade the bulkhead, hinge pins, hub carriers, caster blocks, and shock towers with STRC aluminum parts (w/exception of the steel hinge pins) which I bought when I was planning out this build.

"Experienced user"
neoneo1neo - 12.22.16, 1:35 pm Post #30: | Reply With Quote
awesome build, just got myself a slash VXL LCG pre-roller like yours. and gonna start my simple build very soon.