Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
ser3100 - 9.09.16, 4:18 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
hey all new to the boards here. Got a quick question. Which castle system should i get for my slash 2wd project? Ive been hearing different things about thier sytems. My choices are the sidewinder SV3 4600 or thier SCT 3800 system. I originally wanted to run the sv3 4600 or 5700 but was steered away from the castle tech himself. Since most if not all my batts are 3s 5000mah 30 or higher C rating, he said ill fry up the motor so he directed me to the SCT version. He said that with the longer can and lower KV rating i should be ok. gearing plays into this as well. But then i see some of you guys running the sv3 4600 or even 5700kv systems and now im confused.

It will be used mostly for bashing around but im entertaining the idea of racing one day. I know i will have to run 2s for that and ill eventually get those when the time comes. What do you all thnk?

Will i still have tons of speed on the sct 3800 system? Im new to this so please go easy.

Thanks.
"Experienced user"
jdiwatts - 9.09.16, 5:35 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
You will have enough power and speed with 3s lipos on that 3800 sct system to make driving the 2wd chassis a challenge. You should probably get a few different pinions to play with the gearing a bit.
This hobby keeps me pleasantly distracted from my more expensive projects... (1:1 cars, house, wife, kids, etc...)
"Certified Music Junkie"
JesterTheJoker - 9.09.16, 5:40 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
i got the 4600 and it ran fine on 20C 2S lipo's But it does wake up like crazy on my 60C 2S SPC pack. But i would run 2S, not 3S. Reports of the ESC frying on 3S with the 4600KV are everywhere, but on the 3800 you'll be fine. That and the 4600 is a bit cheaper most of the time because it doesnt come with fans, which i would reccomend for the ESC.
"My garden is life itself, in the sense that every aspect of it should be taken care of and tended to as you would a rose, trimming off dead leaves and excess, being left with raw beauty, and perfection in my own mind. " - Jester
"Experienced user"
ser3100 - 9.09.16, 5:53 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Thanks! This is the info im looking for. I guess ill stay with the SCT version. It comes with both fans although the motor fan will be a challenge since the stock slash gearbox gets in the way. Ill find a way to mount it though.
"Experienced user"
Gramps50 - 9.11.16, 6:43 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
ser3100 said
Thanks! This is the info im looking for. I guess ill stay with the SCT version. It comes with both fans although the motor fan will be a challenge since the stock slash gearbox gets in the way. Ill find a way to mount it though.
I don't think the fan would be an issue with the RPM gearbox.
-- Gramps
"Experienced user"
MooseKnuckle72 - 9.12.16, 10:57 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Tower Hobbies has Castle systems on sale all month. 3800kv w/5mm shaft and the SCT ESC for 106.99? Not too shabby a price.
Traxxas slash 2WD, Axial Exo-Terra buggy, Racers Edge Pro-Trek2, Axial Yeti
"Certified Music Junkie"
JesterTheJoker - 9.12.16, 3:05 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
i wouldnt do 5MM shaft, 48P pinions are few and far between with that shaft size.
"My garden is life itself, in the sense that every aspect of it should be taken care of and tended to as you would a rose, trimming off dead leaves and excess, being left with raw beauty, and perfection in my own mind. " - Jester
"Experienced user"
Maikumizu - 9.13.16, 11:10 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
JesterTheJoker said
i wouldnt do 5MM shaft, 48P pinions are few and far between with that shaft size.
Sounds like a good time to go up to 32p
SCT410.3: Hobbystar 150a & 4300kv Sensored, Savox SC-1258TG
D413: Hobbystar Turbo 120a & Tenshock 5100kv 4-pole Sensored, Savox 1252MG
ERevo Dynamite Fuze 130a, Castle 1515 2200kv
Slash 4x4 LGC: MM2 & Hobbystar 2650kv
"Experienced user"
Miltdoggie - 9.14.16, 1:38 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Sidewinder 8 is a great system for the 2wd slash and so is the 3800kv with the mmp sct esc.
IG- @original.ofcrplz
"Certified Music Junkie"
JesterTheJoker - 9.14.16, 2:46 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Maikumizu said
Sounds like a good time to go up to 32p
true, i run 32P on my slash