Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
ser3100 - 9.14.16, 7:00 pm Post #11: | Reply With Quote
I ended up getting the sidewinder SCT 3800. No 5mm pinion though. I hope i made the right choice.
"Experienced user"
MooseKnuckle72 - 9.15.16, 6:26 am Post #12: | Reply With Quote
ser3100 said
I ended up getting the sidewinder SCT 3800. No 5mm pinion though. I hope i made the right choice.
I think you'll be happy with it. It's a good combo.
Traxxas slash 2WD, Axial Exo-Terra buggy, Racers Edge Pro-Trek2, Axial Yeti
"Experienced user"
vintage - 9.15.16, 7:50 am Post #13: | Reply With Quote
The 3800kV has significantly more power than the 4600, so it's a win all around, you can gear low and run cooler or higher and run faster.
"Certified Music Junkie"
JesterTheJoker - 9.15.16, 2:35 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
vintage said
The 3800kV has significantly more torque than the 4600, so it's a win all around, you can gear low and run cooler or higher and run faster.
fixed it for ya, the 4600 has much more power, yet less torque. The 3800 is the opposite, less power more torque
"My garden is life itself, in the sense that every aspect of it should be taken care of and tended to as you would a rose, trimming off dead leaves and excess, being left with raw beauty, and perfection in my own mind. " - Jester
"Experienced user"
vintage - 9.16.16, 6:53 am Post #15: | Reply With Quote
JesterTheJoker said
fixed it for ya, the 4600 has much more power, yet less torque. The 3800 is the opposite, less power more torque
Not trying to be confrontational, but the 3800kV has more of each, power is measured in watts (or torque x rpm or current x volts) and the 3800kV can easily produce more watts or suck more current at a given voltage without overheating than the 4600 (which is why the sidewinder is rated for only 2S on the 3800kV but 3S on the 4600 and 5700kV). The 3800kV is also a slightly bigger motor, so comparing it to the 4600 is not the same as comparing the 4600 to the 5700.
(Last edited by vintage : 9.16.16 at 6:57 am)
"Experienced user"
ser3100 - 9.16.16, 9:45 am Post #16: | Reply With Quote
I will mainly be running 3s batts though.
"Experienced user"
vintage - 9.16.16, 10:10 am Post #17: | Reply With Quote
ser3100 said
I will mainly be running 3s batts though.
Just gear the motor slow enough that the speed control doesn't get too hot (you'll still be able to gear this combo high enough without overheating that a 2wd slash flips over from air trapped under the body).
Though the sidewinder is not technically rated for 3s on the 3800, I've heard of people doing it successfully. Electric motors produce however much power (and draw however much current) is required to spin at their designed kV(within reason), so the trick is just gearing properly. Since the 3800kV spins slower, you can gear it for a slower speed than the 4600, in which case it will draw less current and run cooler (because going slower requires less power).

What you loose out on with the sidewinder/3800 is the ability to gear the 3800 to the motor's reasonable limit (usually identified by temperature, the faster you gear the truck, the hotter the motor, esc, and battery will get), since the speed control will run too hot (presumably, since castle doesn't rate it for 3S with the 3800 but does rate the mmp for 3S with the 3800) before the motor starts to run too hot. You can still gear the sidewinder/3800kV combo to go as fast or faster before the ESC gets too hot than you can gear the sidewinder/4600kV combo to go before the motor or ESC gets too hot. With the 3800kV on 3S, I'm confident that's faster than a 2wd slash can handle, it's probably right at the limit of what a 2wd slash can handle with the 4600kV on 3S, but with the 3800kV you have a much better chance of being able to gear it low enough to be controllable even on 3S than you do with the 4600kV. Even with the velineon motor, most people find 3S to be uncontrollable in this truck, however, and I suspect you'll ultimately end up driving it on 2S most of the time. SMC, SPC, and other brands recommended on hear sell good lipos at lower prices than you'll find in stores, so if you do find 3S to be uncontrollable, you can get a 2S for a reasonable price.
(Last edited by vintage : 9.16.16 at 10:16 am)
"Experienced user"
ser3100 - 9.16.16, 10:15 am Post #18: | Reply With Quote
Well i need to buy 2s batts then. All of my batts are 3s 5000mah 30 or 35c
"Experienced user"
vintage - 9.16.16, 10:51 am Post #19: | Reply With Quote
ser3100 said
Well i need to buy 2s batts then. All of my batts are 3s 5000mah 30 or 35c
You'll have to check, since you have 3s, I'd start with those and the smallest pinion/largest spur you can fit. If it the front end takes flight, you can try venting the body to see if that helps, if it doesn't, you'll need to go to 2s, or a different body, or a lower kV motor.
"Experienced user"
vintage - 9.16.16, 11:21 am Post #20: | Reply With Quote
vintage said
You'll have to check, since you have 3s, I'd start with those and the smallest pinion/largest spur you can fit. If it the front end takes flight, you can try venting the body to see if that helps, if it doesn't, you'll need to go to 2s, or a different body, or a lower kV motor.
It looks like you can gear down to 14/86 or so, which would result in the truck running in the low 30 mph range on 3s with the 3800kV, which would be plenty controllable, so I don't think you'll need 2s (assuming what I found about 14/86 is correct).
(Last edited by vintage : 9.16.16 at 11:32 am)