Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
MooseKnuckle72 - 9.29.16, 1:42 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
So, I have about 75% of a stock HCG slash on my bench which I've slowly been putting back together. I don't really want/need another short course truck though so I was thinking of going the MT route.

Is there anything I need to be aware of to make this work? I read that using protrac arms front and rear is necessary. I also know I'll have to upgrade the hex's to 17mm for the wheels.

Any input from anyone who's done this would be appreciated.
Traxxas slash 2WD, Axial Exo-Terra buggy, Racers Edge Pro-Trek2, Axial Yeti
"Traxxas 2wd expert"
Dirty sasquatch - 9.29.16, 5:23 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
No you don't need protrac or 17mm hex I'm running a mamba monster x esc with a 1/10 3800kv motor with 6.5 bullet soldered to it I'm running high gears 2s 5000mah lipo 50c 2.8 stampede tires from proline on deperado wheels no stripped hexes driving on asphalt my foams last 7 months though I'm running stampede 2wd arms in the rear with modded stock slash axles and longer toe links . I do recomend a waterproof servo like a savox or the xpert Rc brushless waterproof metal gear my servos didn't last when I used stock traxxas . Pay attention to your slipper setting and driving or you will twist axles . I built my fist 2wd slash monster for 75$ plus my old slash this one has 300$ in castle power aluminum st racing front tower traxxas aluminum casters and hardened shock shafts the rest is rpm skies and arms . You can build one out of old spare parts and have a blast all 2wd traxxas trucks share parts except the bandit wich has a few one off bandit parts.
No method to the madness.
"Experienced user"
twomicros - 2.01.17, 12:13 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
I made a 2wd monster slash and it was awesome. I think I got the rpm arms for durability and so that I could use the same offset wheels on front and back. I did end up going with 17mm hexes but I don't think you necessarily have to. I just wanted to be able to run 1/8 buggy/truggy tires because they were cheap.

before that I ran monster jam tires on stock 12mm hexes and those were actually pretty sweet. you can definitely run stock motor and esc (mine was brushless velineon, I'm not sure if stock brushed would work) but just make sure that you're not geared too high so you don't burn anything out.

other than that, just use your imagination and have fun. monster slashes are awesome!!!!
"Experienced user"
slick2500 - 2.01.17, 3:28 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
twomicros said
I made a 2wd monster slash and it was awesome. I think I got the rpm arms for durability and so that I could use the same offset wheels on front and back. I did end up going with 17mm hexes but I don't think you necessarily have to. I just wanted to be able to run 1/8 buggy/truggy tires because they were cheap.

before that I ran monster jam tires on stock 12mm hexes and those were actually pretty sweet. you can definitely run stock motor and esc (mine was brushless velineon, I'm not sure if stock brushed would work) but just make sure that you're not geared too high so you don't burn anything out.

other than that, just use your imagination and have fun. monster slashes are awesome!!!!
I see no reason why the brushed setup wouldn't work, look at the Ecx Ruckus mine ran just fine off the XL-5 Esc and 12T Titan 550.
Ecx 2wd Ruckus
Traxxas Stampede XL-5
Traxxas Summit 1/10
Team Associated Apex
Team Associated RC10B2
"Experienced user"
twomicros - 2.02.17, 10:50 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I'm not saying that it wouldn't work. I just meant that I've only had experience running a brushless system on 2s lipo so I'm not sure how speed/torque would work out with larger and heavier wheels and stock gearing.
"Certified Music Junkie"
JesterTheJoker - 2.02.17, 5:01 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
The monster jam wheels/tires are amazing, but they have almost 0 lateral grip, meaning it understeers for a mile and a half if you are going at any speed, i tried every single setting and couldnt get them to grip in the turns... But on the note of a monster slash they are really just bigger stampedes, though the extra weight and size makes it handle much better! Nothing to look out for, its an easy job. Though the body might be annoying to find one that clears the massive stock chassis, and looks right
"My garden is life itself, in the sense that every aspect of it should be taken care of and tended to as you would a rose, trimming off dead leaves and excess, being left with raw beauty, and perfection in my own mind. " - Jester
"Experienced user"
slick2500 - 2.03.17, 7:40 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
twomicros said
I'm not saying that it wouldn't work. I just meant that I've only had experience running a brushless system on 2s lipo so I'm not sure how speed/torque would work out with larger and heavier wheels and stock gearing.
Probably about the same as a brushed Ecx Torment, watch Jangs review video to get an idea of how "fast' it is. By that I mean I think it would perform very similar to that.
Ecx 2wd Ruckus
Traxxas Stampede XL-5
Traxxas Summit 1/10
Team Associated Apex
Team Associated RC10B2
"Traxxas 2wd expert"
Dirty sasquatch - 2.03.17, 11:30 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
I'm running modified stock plastic axles from a 4x4 slash and a loose slipper . I have a mamba monster x esc with a 1/10 3800kv motor my slash is about 3 pounds but it still goes about 40 on 2s but I've only manged somewhere in the 30s on 2.8 tires on regular 2. 2 tires it goes 40 no problem . For stability I have rpm long a arms in the front it makes its wider and makes the truck handle significantly better. I have to trim the wheel wells bigger . On a Traxxas body I have to trim less to make it fit but , my proline raptor yeti body fits perfect on it .
(Last edited by Dirty sasquatch : 2.03.17 at 11:34 am) Reason: More detail
No method to the madness.
"Experienced user"
twomicros - 2.10.17, 11:48 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
have you gone ahead and done this? If you do post some pictures. I'll see if I can dig up any pictures of the one I used to have.
"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 2.10.17, 1:03 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
I have one that's been sitting for a while, but I went with the Jato wide mod up front and Protrac rear arms. Really fun to blast around the yard with, good battery life on 3S geared 19/90, and pretty smooth over rough stuff, but I just end up using my 4x4s a bit more. The Jato mod is nice but requires more work than the Protrac arms. Really no other mods but aluminum shock caps, springs, Protrac Rear arms, and the Jato mod up front.

(Last edited by Sneetches : 2.10.17 at 1:07 pm)
Youtube: MegaSneetch - RC videos whenever I can make them!