Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"The Interceptors"
ebasher219 - 12.06.10, 10:39 pm Post #11: | Reply With Quote
just as a pointer i found a really good tool for smoothing the shafts after doing this maintenance.

i found it in my parents bathroom (its my moms) and i realized it would be perfect for this application

a 4 way nail file/buffer!!!

like this one:

now my shafts are as smooth as butter.. (*giggle*)
(Last edited by ebasher219 : 12.06.10 at 10:41 pm)
Employee at HobbyTownUSA North Charlotte
DP micro rally, SSC \slash 4x4, LCG mini revo!, Sprint 2, Mugen Eco w/ BCE chassis
RCD3vil on youtube ::: ebasher219 on xbox live
"Experienced user"
Sparkz - 12.12.10, 2:25 am Post #12: | Reply With Quote
Are there any tricks to reversing them, or do you just carefully pry the joints
"Experienced user"
Sparkz - 12.12.10, 12:28 pm Post #13: | Reply With Quote
Sparkz said
Are there any tricks to reversing them, or do you just carefully pry the joints
That post was supposed to quote this one:

TheJANG said
Running the female side inside is a common and old trick folks do with slider shafts to help reduce the buildup of dirt & dust inside. It's a gravity thing.
Probably wouldn't hurt to finish my sentence either.
What I was trying to ask was if there is a trick to reversing the slider shafts, or do you just carefully pry open the joints and put them back togheter the other way around?
"Vacationing user"
traxxasslash26 - 12.12.10, 1:19 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
just carefully pry the joints apart..
"Experienced user"
Mud Puppy - 1.07.11, 2:42 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
After you have done all that - Now raid the spare parts from a rock-crawler buddy for Dust Boots!

Integy makes some impressively useless driveshafts for the Axial AX10 rock crawler that weigh a ton, bind up, and flop all over the place. The good news, however, is that they come with nice rubber dirt shields.

With the small end over the outer slider and the open end tucked up against the end of the shaft they fit nicely and should keep 99% of dirt off the slider. Note that as per earlier instructions I run my shafts reversed from stock so water drains down and out.

"Experienced user"
03FairladyZ - 1.27.11, 5:50 am Post #16: | Reply With Quote
Good info! Thanks!
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson
"Experienced user"
doublestrike - 1.28.11, 3:42 pm Post #17: | Reply With Quote
That is a really good tip, and reversing the shafts is unique. Thanks
Do you really believe that what you believe is really real?
"Experienced user"
richbear2 - 3.12.11, 12:09 pm Post #18: | Reply With Quote
I got the rpm a-arms and found they were binding up on the bulk head. When I cleaned my shafts I shaved the inside of the a-arms. WOW what a differences!!! Just ran it today and was like I was driving a different car!!!
"Experienced user"
d00mz - 3.14.11, 12:38 pm Post #19: | Reply With Quote
I just did this maintenance on my truck today. I also used a 4 way nail buffer that was my wife's. (I'll have to hide that so she doesn't see it). I also reversed the order of the axle pieces, putting the male end on the wheel side. It just makes sense to me, wish Traxxas would just do that from the factory.

One addition though: I also used a very small flat head screwdriver to get any plastic burs out of the flat channels on the male side of the axle assembly. That seemed to make everything nice and clean and slide perfectly.
Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate

RPM A-Arms at all 4 corners, Integy red springs on rear shocks, RPM front shock tower, King Headz Aluminum Motor Mount, Integy C23139 heatsink w/dual fans
"I am the Traxxas Man"
Slash4x4 Man - 6.10.11, 3:32 am Post #20: | Reply With Quote
Thank you Jang for the video. I did this and it makes a huge difference.
Slash 4x4, Slash
Check out my youtube channel TheTraxxasRCGuy's