Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
rcpython59 - 1.14.13, 5:57 am Post #11: | Reply With Quote
trashyrich said
rcpython59,
How are the shocks? I know you arent running it yet. But over all build quality?
They look decent so far, I'm hoping the anodizatiom will help because there is only the schlock body and waft that aren't anodized. I'm hoping the anodizatiom will give it enough xtra strength.

Once I get some body clips I can run but I until then its sittin on a workbench.
ugh,im sorry for what happenned to my account guys....
"きりと"
hazardouschurch - 1.14.13, 8:50 am Post #12: | Reply With Quote
I have venom front castors, rear carriers and front bulkhead. First off rpm doesn't really count there are places where you want aluminum and places you dont so rpm for everything else. As far as quality they are not quite as good as strc and i have yet to try anza but they look good. They are however still good enough.

To answer your first post it ranks like this FLM/STRC-traxxas aluminum-Anza/Dynamite-atomik/venom/rpm-integy/stock-proline.

They are ranked this way for a reason I put anza where i would expect it to be although i dont have one of there parts. Rpm once again depends on the part. Proline i think is garbage that is too brittle to do anything with and will break very soon aka not reliable.

These are the parts that you want aluminum. Castors,rear carriers, front bulkhead,transmission, shock towers, and shocks
CARNAGE
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 1.14.13, 9:27 am Post #13: | Reply With Quote
aluminum is aluminum is aluminum

kinda hard to screw that up provided the aluminum is of the same thickness.

STRC is known to make 5mm thick shock towers for many brands of cars which usually come stock with 3mm thick shock towers.

A more cost effective solution is to double up two stock shock towers effectively making the tower 6mm thick and using 3mm longer screws to fasten the doubled up shock tower in place which would then be stronger than a 5mm thick STRC tower
eTruggy + eBuggy + 4WD Mod SC + 4WD Mod ST + 2WD Mod ST + 4WD 13.5T Buggy + 2WD 17.5T Buggy + Spec Slash
"Experienced user"
n_d_fox - 1.14.13, 9:31 am Post #14: | Reply With Quote
hazardouschurch said
To answer your first post it ranks like this FLM/STRC-traxxas aluminum-Anza/Dynamite-atomik/venom/rpm-integy/stock-proline.

They are ranked this way for a reason I put anza where i would expect it to be although i dont have one of there parts. Rpm once again depends on the part. Proline i think is garbage that is too brittle to do anything with and will break very soon aka not reliable.

These are the parts that you want aluminum. Castors,rear carriers, front bulkhead,transmission, shock towers, and shocks
Thanks for the reply... its nice to see experienced RC'ers that still dont mind covering what is probably old ground every time another newbie like me joins the forum and starts asking questions.

Cheers, Nige
"Surprisingly Informative"
ntp - 1.14.13, 9:39 am Post #15: | Reply With Quote
BillDeLong said

kinda hard to screw that up provided the aluminum is of the same thickness.

STRC is known to make 5mm thick shock towers for many brands of cars which usually come stock with 3mm thick shock towers.

A more cost effective solution is to double up two stock shock towers effectively making the tower 6mm thick and using 3mm longer screws to fasten the doubled up shock tower in place which would then be stronger than a 5mm thick STRC tower
^I like this.
I may look into doing it for my 2wd Slash as it's shock towers seem awfully flimsy.
Thanks Bill.
+1
Axial AX-10 Scorpion Modified a tad.
Summit vxl the "Tink Tank"
Stampede 4x4 vxl.
Cadillac RC10 GoldTub minor mods.
Slash 2wd
"Experienced user"
rcpython59 - 1.14.13, 11:43 am Post #16: | Reply With Quote
n_d_fox said
Thanks for the reply... its nice to see experienced RC'ers that still dont mind covering what is probably old ground every time another newbie like me joins the forum and starts asking questions.

Cheers, Nige
I'm pretty sure that only happens when it comes to lipos. Even then not that much though.
ugh,im sorry for what happenned to my account guys....
"Experienced user"
uberDoward - 1.14.13, 11:52 am Post #17: | Reply With Quote
Bill, gotta disagree. Cast vs forged, proper treatment post-machining, even the aluminum alloy used ALL play a part in how they work.

If aluminum was aluminum was aluminum, Traxxas and Integy would be on the same page, and they CLEARLY are not!
"Because Racecar"
thestug - 1.14.13, 12:30 pm Post #18: | Reply With Quote
BillDeLong said
Sorry, this simply isn't true. There are many different types and grades of aluminum. The machining process and how much heat is generated during machining is also important to the strength of the material. I can't however comment on the quality of the parts in question because I have no experience with them.

The post above me explains it pretty well also.
A problem well stated is a problem half solved.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 1.14.13, 1:11 pm Post #19: | Reply With Quote
uberDoward said
Bill, gotta disagree. Cast vs forged, proper treatment post-machining, even the aluminum alloy used ALL play a part in how they work.

If aluminum was aluminum was aluminum, Traxxas and Integy would be on the same page, and they CLEARLY are not!
Good call, I stand corrected

Okay, so which manufacturer (if any) sells wrought aluminum?

I suspect the majority are using Cast Aluminum for cost effectiveness.

The range of tensile strength ranges anywhere from 117 to 414 MPa for cast aluminum, but what does that mean?

From what I understand the difference is whether you want your aluminum to bend, go with the lighter tensile strength, if you prefer your aluminum to snap, then go with the higher tensile strength, ha!

I searched all over the STRC website and couldn't find any mention of the type of alloy they are using in their products, and chances are I bet their alloys change as they shop from one supplier to the next.

I did find an interesting article here comparing different tensile strengths between various compounds:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_tensile_strength

Again, what good does all this information do for us if the manufactures don't provide the alloy used?

All I know is this, Aluminum is stronger than Plastic so any aluminum part is going to typically be stronger than any respective plastic part of the same thickness.

Very rarely do I buy aluminum upgrade parts, but when I do, I usually go the least expensive option available and that hasn't been a problem for me yet.
eTruggy + eBuggy + 4WD Mod SC + 4WD Mod ST + 2WD Mod ST + 4WD 13.5T Buggy + 2WD 17.5T Buggy + Spec Slash
"Experienced user"
uberDoward - 1.14.13, 1:20 pm Post #20: | Reply With Quote
Yes, pretty much any Al constructed part will be stronger than plastic - but plastic has a much higher elasticity than Al, meaning that where aluminum would 'break', plastic would 'bend'

Nobody's going to mention their alloys - I guarantee they don't stay the same. RPM is the only manufacturer I know of that actually PRODUCES their product in-house, meaning they have that information.

But hey, once my foundry is done, I'll be casting parts myself - so I hope to change that. I'll tell you exactly how the part is built, with what composition alloy, and how I treat the metals.

And I don't plan on only doing aluminum