Since I had taken this truck to the beach as a basher before this whole transformation, the motor needed to be replaced. After driving at the beach, the motor got sand in it and scored the rotor and magnets (see pics). This Viper motor was great before and at the beach, but now itís damaged and I canít send it out to viper for a replacement.
Since I didnít want to blow wads of cash on a whole new system, I decided to keep the esc and just buy a new motor. Besides, I had already painted a Viper logo on the hood! I had been thinking of the castle 1410 motor but decided to try a new option: the Neewer 4300kv 4 pole motor.
I have heard good things about Neewer and wanted a cheap replacement for my old Viper. It is comparable to the Viper 3900kv motor, only a few mm shorter. Same sized motor shaft (1/8th) and of similar construction.
I decided to open it up and check out the internals. The rotor is balanced (Blue clay in pics) and much larger than the viper rotor. It checks out as a 4 pole system, four individual magnets.
The only thing that worried me was this strange brownish-red dust that was all over the rotor and in the can. What is this stuff?! I didnít think it was a lubricant, and it didnít have a funny blown-motor smell. Itís too fine to be rust. Should I be worried? Let me know what you guys think this could be.
So aside from the red dust, the motor looked great so I threw it back together and mounted it up. I went with different motor mount screws because I didnít want to keep stripping out the stock 1.5mm hex screws. So I looked for an alternative like Lunsfordís ďfat boyĒ motor mount screws. I went with Traxxasís TRA 4859 which are 10mm long with a 2.5mm hex. I just shortened them with a dremel cut-off wheel so that they wonít stick into the motor windings, even though the Neewer motor has a cardstock shield between the screw holes and the windings. No more stripped hex heads!
(Left to right: stock motor mount screw, shortened TRA4859, stock length TRA4859)
Unfortunately these screws cause gouging in the RPM motor mount plate caused by their shoulder underneath the screw head. This helps the screw bite into the stock plastic transmission case, but on the metal motor plate it can cause ruts. This makes it hard to have a precise gear mesh where a millimeters movement of the motor can cause disaster. So to counter this I just used TRA1985 fiber washers to cancel out that shoulder bump, two did the trick.
Gouge from stock motor mount screws:
Since the original viper motor had really long motor wires, I needed to make extensions for the Neewer motor. I think they turned out pretty cool, sheathed in black wire mesh.
Also got the rear bumper installed with the RPM bumper mount.
Thatís it for Now, let me know what you think! Comments/questions are welcome!
(Previously Machine-_Man. Cannot retrieve old account)
Savage Flux -- Slash 2wd LCG -- RC18t