Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 6.25.17, 4:34 pm Post #91: | Reply With Quote
no cutting anything, using stock springs, just have no pre-load on front and 1 large pre-load on rear... the old track we ran on had inconsistent traction and varied depending on temps and moisture in the air... hot summer months offered the best traction, and cool winter months required VERY aggressive tire sauce, ha!
eTruggy + eBuggy + 4WD Mod SC + 4WD Mod ST + 2WD Mod ST + 4WD 13.5T Buggy + 2WD 17.5T Buggy + Spec Slash
"In the mirror you'll see a dog"
Rodarbal - 6.25.17, 6:06 pm Post #92: | Reply With Quote
LOL... we've learned that repeated soaking and saucing makes for a good and sticky Spec Slash tire!
RJ Labrador
On Road: Tamiya & XRay
Off Road 1/10: Losi & XRay
Off Road 1/8: Mugen
"Experienced user"
tsair - 6.25.17, 7:25 pm Post #93: | Reply With Quote
BillDeLong said
no cutting anything, using stock springs, just have no pre-load on front and 1 large pre-load on rear... the old track we ran on had inconsistent traction and varied depending on temps and moisture in the air... hot summer months offered the best traction, and cool winter months required VERY aggressive tire sauce, ha!
Interesting. Stock springs must sag over time, because mine are nowhere near 27mm front.

Around here, winter is the stickiest and we can run slicks (cooler and wetter weather keeps the clay damp and sticky). In the summer, the track tends to dry out and get a little dusty/dirty and Electrons/Positrons seem to work best.

I didn't sauce yesterday, but am going to use some Liquid Wrench tomorrow to test it out, as well as some gearing and shock oil changes.

I was a little surprised at how well the truck drives even with minor setup changes. I was about 2.5 seconds off my fast 17.5 buggy times (low 18's vs 20.6).
(Last edited by tsair : 6.25.17 at 7:29 pm)
razorrcblog.blogspot.com
youtube.com/c/RazorRC
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 6.25.17, 8:10 pm Post #94: | Reply With Quote
Yeah, my Spec Slash used to turn lap times with the fastest sportsman 17.5 buggy drivers... gonna be interesting to see how things progress with the turf track!

The springs on my Slash are probably 8 years old, I bought it used from another local racer, Todd Cook, who would ironically get back into racing Spec Slash many years later, go figure?
eTruggy + eBuggy + 4WD Mod SC + 4WD Mod ST + 2WD Mod ST + 4WD 13.5T Buggy + 2WD 17.5T Buggy + Spec Slash
"Experienced user"
tsair - 6.26.17, 11:33 am Post #95: | Reply With Quote
8 years old!?!

GTR springs sag badly after 4 months, so I suspect the ultrashock springs do as well. But in this case, maybe that's a good thing!
razorrcblog.blogspot.com
youtube.com/c/RazorRC
"In the mirror you'll see a dog"
Rodarbal - 6.26.17, 11:41 am Post #96: | Reply With Quote
tsair said
8 years old!?!
Haha! Yeah, the truck has some history, for sure. Bill even has the original body that has a big "I ❤ boobies!" sticker on the hood. I forget who Todd got that truck from, but it's been in local hands since the dawn of SC truck racing.
RJ Labrador
On Road: Tamiya & XRay
Off Road 1/10: Losi & XRay
Off Road 1/8: Mugen
"Experienced user"
tsair - 6.26.17, 12:07 pm Post #97: | Reply With Quote
Does the truck have plastic transmission gears? IIRC, they switched to steel at some point, but the plastics should be an advantage. Maybe worth sourcing!
razorrcblog.blogspot.com
youtube.com/c/RazorRC
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 6.26.17, 6:49 pm Post #98: | Reply With Quote
no it has metal gears... Todd sold it to one of my son's friends and I traded it for a brushless 4WD MT that was collecting dust on my shelf. My son's friend was the one one who placed the "I ❤ boobies!" sticker on it... and Todd's daughter Gabby used to race it for a while too!
"Experienced user"
tsair - 6.26.17, 9:13 pm Post #99: | Reply With Quote
Bill, question on the 1-hole piston + 30wt oil up front -- was this to get more pack landing jumps? I'm running 2-hole + 35wt Associated oil, but feel like I could use a little more pack.
razorrcblog.blogspot.com
youtube.com/c/RazorRC
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 6.27.17, 6:15 pm Post #100: | Reply With Quote
Yeah, I tried to keep it simple so I didn't have to remember what weight oil went where and 30W did the trick with 1 hole pistons up front and 3 hole pistons on the rear, I probably have to go back to square one on turf, ha!