Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 2.16.16, 11:25 pm Post #31: | Reply With Quote
Ew. Traxxas vehicles don't come with many tuning options out of the box.
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.
"Experienced user"
Ryan_D - 2.16.16, 11:26 pm Post #32: | Reply With Quote
having run both hcg and lcg for a couple years of local shops parking lot races I can assure you that an lcg chassis is a complete game changer, actually makes the slash 2wd driveable, ie stock shocked lcg with a 55 chev sc body on it runs smoother and much faster vs a lowered (+5mm limiter inside each shock) nitro rustler bodied hcg chassis slash. best thing traxxas could do is throw the old hcg chassis 2wd and 4wd both in the recycling chipper and sell nothing but LCG from this point on. On the durability end get your org to ok the ti-ni shock shafts for rear, no real performance change other than they don't bend every 5min, same for front caster blocks, go alum or go home, freaking kingpin eating heaps, other than that I guess shock caps if you start popping them (only popped 3 and each time it was well beyond any reasonable expectation of durability), and rpm rear carriers.
a stock or stockish with base durability upgrades class would def be fun but zero chance I would ever do again with hcg chassis, the lcg is that much better.
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 2.16.16, 11:28 pm Post #33: | Reply With Quote
Yeah, stock Traxxas shock shafts are garbage. I can't believe they won't even let you swap those out.
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.
"Certified Music Junkie"
JesterTheJoker - 2.17.16, 3:54 am Post #34: | Reply With Quote
fyrstormer said
well, camber links are the one and only on the slash, the rest i agree (minus some of the nitro's) but i agree, the shock shafts are utter utter garbage. i got so done with them im swapping in e-revo GTR shocks XD
"My garden is life itself, in the sense that every aspect of it should be taken care of and tended to as you would a rose, trimming off dead leaves and excess, being left with raw beauty, and perfection in my own mind. " - Jester
"Experienced user"
MaX-D - 2.17.16, 7:15 am Post #35: | Reply With Quote
BillDeLong said
Honestly, I don't think the LCG chassis would be THAT much faster, my guess is probably a couple tenths of a second per lap at most, I'm already hitting the corners pretty hard as it is and turning lap times faster than most of the B-Main drivers in stock buggy, where that class has a faster motor, lighter car, better tires and LCG with a rear wing, here's the B-Main results to see what I'm talking about:

vs same race day same track conditions:

So no, I don't think we'd switch over to the LCG chassis unless Traxxas decides to discontinue selling the original release. There is a charm about running a grossly disadvantaged chassis, I didn't appreciate it when the class was open to more competitive designs, but have grown to love this class as my favorite since everyone shares the same disadvantage, arguably far more closer racing than you can get in Stock Buggy

Fast Lap for Spec Slash ranges from 17.0 to 20.0 = 3.0 sec variance
Fast Lap for Stock Buggy ranges from 14.9 to 18.5 = 3.6 sec variance

*** both of these lowest fast lap times were turned by the same driver = me this also helps give perspective on how much faster Stock Buggy is compared to Spec Slash on an indoor high traction track

Here's the A Main results for Stock Buggy, we started out with a B Main for Slash but lost a few drivers by the end of the day and filled everyone into a single A Main for Slash

I wish other racing classes were like this, stock set up so to speak, (like 4x4 SCT) to make it more competitive. Man I would love to race Stock Spec Slash. I prefer 2wd to 4x4 anyways. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Maximum Destruction
VIKINGS fan
GO BIG or GO HOME!!!
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 2.17.16, 4:45 pm Post #36: | Reply With Quote
fyrstormer said
You might want to double check the setup sheets I've posted on the OP, way more tuning options than you'd think

For an 8 y/o design, it's hard to complain and I've grown fond of it, folks have talked about vintage racing classes, but I think this is about as close as it gets for finding some middle ground.
eTruggy + eBuggy + 4WD Mod SC + 4WD Mod ST + 2WD Mod ST + 4WD 13.5T Buggy + 2WD 17.5T Buggy + Spec Slash
"In the mirror you'll see a dog"
Rodarbal - 2.17.16, 10:14 pm Post #37: | Reply With Quote
There's really no chance of changing the class to LCG. Yes, I agree there's a performance advantage (all of us in the class have run LCG SC trucks over the years), but we're all having a blast racing these cheap, HCG, lumbering turds. As for changing out other parts, no one has really complained about them. I think Bill had a bent shock shaft and we've all broken rear hubs, but those parts are cheap and stocked in the local hobby shop. It's such an easy and affordable class for people to get into, there's no reason to mess with simplicity.
RJ Labrador
On Road: Tamiya & XRay
Off Road 1/10: Losi & XRay
Off Road 1/8: Mugen
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 2.18.16, 6:14 am Post #38: | Reply With Quote
Rodarbal said
there's no reason to mess with simplicity.
^dat
eTruggy + eBuggy + 4WD Mod SC + 4WD Mod ST + 2WD Mod ST + 4WD 13.5T Buggy + 2WD 17.5T Buggy + Spec Slash
"Certified Music Junkie"
JesterTheJoker - 2.18.16, 6:57 am Post #39: | Reply With Quote
Agreed with rodarbal, but I messed with it a lot XD. Once bill's stuff arrives the only stock stuff left is arms, bulkhead, and hexes. (And Trans gears but you can't really upgrade those)
"My garden is life itself, in the sense that every aspect of it should be taken care of and tended to as you would a rose, trimming off dead leaves and excess, being left with raw beauty, and perfection in my own mind. " - Jester
"Experienced user"
Unimog123 - 2.21.16, 9:16 am Post #40: | Reply With Quote
I don't know exactly if this is the place to ask this but I didn't think it was worth to make a thread about. Anyway I put my Slash 2wd tranny back together after some maintenance and just a general look around. Reapplied some grease and I put the slipper clutch back on and I don't often mess with the slipper but this piece is two years old now. So I drive it and it was slipping very badly so I tried setting it watched some vids but no matter what I do it seems too loose completely as in I can't even get up to full speed or it's so tight that it made an indent into the plastic gearbox at the metal plate behind the spur. It gets so tight that it would drive and then stop immediately after letting go of the throttle almost like drag brake. I drove it like this for a couple minutes trying to find the happy medium and afterwards the slipper was at 170 degrees! But the motor was around a 100 and ESC was around 85 if I remember correctly.

So I looked at the tranny again and it all seemed fine, I put it back together and tried again and it didn't get so hot but the slipper was at 107 and ESC and motor around 80. But it went it like thermal shutdown...it would shut down completely and then I just unplugged the battery and replugged it and it worked again. I'm super confused. Should I just replace the whole slipper assembly since it's so old? It was used on my Science Olympiad car which crashed quite horribly into a wall at full speed (15 mph or so) but it doesn't have any noticeable damage and I'm using a brand new slipper.
Arrma Kraton, Vaterra Twin Hammers, Traxxas Slash 2WD, Estes ProtoZ