Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
MaX-D - 3.11.16, 2:30 pm Post #21: | Reply With Quote
What about a Stampede 4x4 rear bumper? Would that work?
Maximum Destruction
VIKINGS fan
GO BIG or GO HOME!!!
"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 3.11.16, 3:05 pm Post #22: | Reply With Quote
It technically does but I don't like the look and it isn't wide enough for me. Like I said I'm a bit picky in this case so I'll try my own and if that doesn't work, I'll just have to see.

The front bumper is perfect, it basically gives me the best approach angle with the Badlands tires. The truck actually did really well on my quick incline test, so I have high hopes for the hill climbs that I'll try tomorrow.
Youtube: MegaSneetch - RC videos whenever I can make them!
"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 3.12.16, 1:48 am Post #23: | Reply With Quote
Mounted the front body posts today. I'll get some pics tomorrow but basically an ABS piece that mount to the top of the shock tower and then has arms for the body posts to come out, very simple.

Test run tomorrow. Can't run my 3S packs until the tall LCG hold down comes so I can only do 2S...hoping all goes well though.
"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 3.12.16, 11:05 am Post #24: | Reply With Quote
I went ahead and ordered the "tall" Rally LCG hold down, apparently it's way taller to accommodate 3S packs. Also decided to get a Yeti interior to cover the center.

Otherwise, I ran the truck on 2S for some testing. It's a drag only because 2800kv and geared 11/54, obviously the truck is not supposed to shine here. Despite that, I put a pack through it and I'd say it's pretty fun. I do not intend for this to be a serious rock crawler, but rather a trail truck that can navigate some obstacles if needed.

First note - LCG of course gets hung up on obstacles, but majority of the time I can still throttle out of it. If it keeps happening then I'll switch back to the HCG chassis, however I love the "on rails" feeling the LCG has when handling.

2nd - 500k diff oil feels lighter than expected in this truck. I may have to switch to 1 million in the rear to get that extra push over obstacles, but I may switch to the HCG first to test.

3rd - My rear body mount actually held up so far. I purposefully lawn darted / roof landed several times from my jump and so far so good. The rear is styrene but I'll just remake it in ABS that I used for the front body plate, since when doubled up it's pretty strong but slightly flexible.

"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 3.14.16, 9:04 am Post #25: | Reply With Quote
Well I have very good news in that both the Slash and my Rear body mount held up despite some hard abuse in the worst way for a body: repeated rollovers and roof smacks. The thing also flies up my test hills like a bullet until something stops it, and is capable of going super far, despite the LCG chassis.

If you've seen my Yeti XL / Slash 4x4 video, then you'll see the exact same climbs I was trying out. There is a 2nd smaller hill that I think the ticket to making will be 3S simply for the speed to jump the lip near the end, but the big hill here is a different story. I got to the same spot pictured with the YXL and was also stumped several times with some harsh rollovers.

The rig (and my body mount in this case) also survived a couple dozen rollovers over the course of 3 battery packs. I geared up to 15/54 to give myself a chance on the climbs on 2S. The crashes are pretty violent, which I hope to get some video of soon, so for now just imagine the thing rolling over starting at that arrow on the 50 incline. I've tried to count the cartwheels but there's too many and it simply does them so fast that it's a blur lol. For reference, I was hitting the rocks so hard at the bottom of one climb (not pictured) that it was putting small dents in the aluminum panels themselves. I also think the panels help brace the cage in the case of flat roof landings/smacks while rolling.

Either way, I'm very impressed with the performance so far. I will probably get another differential or two and fill one with "diff-lock" putty and the other with 1-2 mill oil, and then experiment. I may also try the HCG chassis out as well, but will probably pick up sway bars to go with that. Either way, expect a video here sometime soon detailing the mount and some hill climb carnage...
"Experienced user"
2WheelFlyer - 3.14.16, 10:11 am Post #26: | Reply With Quote
That rig is looking super Sneetches! love the look, I've been considering for a while to do the same thing to my Redcat Shredder 1/6; I want to mount a Yeti XL cage and homemade aluminum body panels. Good build!
When the day comes that the Human race finally thinks in a logical way and realizes only technology and science can solve problems and make discoveries, all of today's religious hatred will seem as ignorant as the Middle Ages.
"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 3.14.16, 10:23 am Post #27: | Reply With Quote
My interior came in today along with the rear light buckets so I can tidy it up a bit. I'll have to paint my rear body mount black so they aren't as obtrusive, or just remake them in black ABS since I know the design works now.
"Experienced user"
twisted - 3.14.16, 6:08 pm Post #28: | Reply With Quote
i started doing something like this last year but gave up as i realized i was heading in the wrong direction. your build has me wanting to get mine out and re work it.

"Professional Amateur"
Sneetches - 3.15.16, 10:46 am Post #29: | Reply With Quote
Yeah I remember seeing yours on RCC and it was lingering for a while before I realized my Stampede 4x4 was becoming unused. I still have a couple things to do:

-Paint Yeti interior
-Redo rear body mount in delrin or abs
-Fix Front LEDs
-Install Rear LEDs
-Inner fenders to hide chassis
-Lock diffs?

One thing I'm still unsure of is whether to try the shortcourse tire w/ 5.5" tire or not. It will give me extra clearance but I'll have to figure out the foams and also the tires will rub on the Yeti cage at full lock. The 5" Badlands are essentially the perfect size and I don't mind since they perform just as well as I'd hope.

I also still have yet to try the HCG chassis, but I will wait until my diff lock comes in for that. Right now crawling is not a priority and hill climbs are. I will not rest until I make this hill for now:

(Last edited by Sneetches : 3.15.16 at 11:09 am)
"Experienced user"
twisted - 3.15.16, 12:26 pm Post #30: | Reply With Quote
i locked the diffs on mine with putty and it made the truck handle like poo