Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Mustanglad - 4.29.17, 11:19 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I keep braking the pinion in the slash. I set it up like Traxxas says to and it keeps striping the pinion gear the slipper is fine.
I put a traxxas speed gear in there went out and bashed it and the pinion was fine, but i cant keep running the gear because the motor overheats. It has a Velineon 3800 Kv 4 pole motor.
Any help is good thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18197213_10207204620908502_39359401_n.jpg (83.6 KB, 27 views)
"Experienced User"
guys2nv - 4.29.17, 2:56 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Robinson Racing Xtra hard pinion is what you want. Traxxas pinions are pretty low quality.

http://www.robinsonracing.com/
(Last edited by guys2nv : 4.29.17 at 2:58 pm)
| Cen Colossus GST-E |
| Stampede 4x4 | Stampede |
| Shelfers - Lunchbox & Blackfoot |
| Futaba 4PLS |
"Certified Music Junkie"
JesterTheJoker - 4.29.17, 4:03 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
guys2nv said
Robinson Racing Xtra hard pinion is what you want. Traxxas pinions are pretty low quality.

http://www.robinsonracing.com/
Jang had issues with his pinion on the Funny Car. Big power and big grip equals more stress on the gears.
"My garden is life itself, in the sense that every aspect of it should be taken care of and tended to as you would a rose, trimming off dead leaves and excess, being left with raw beauty, and perfection in my own mind. " - Jester
"Experienced user"
slick2500 - 4.29.17, 4:39 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Whatever you do not buy an aluminum pinion, I'm not even sure why they make these, I bought one back in my nooby days and destroyed it in one pack with the Hot Racing spur gear I was using.
Ecx 2wd Ruckus
Traxxas Stampede XL-5
Traxxas Summit 1/10
Team Associated Apex
Team Associated RC10B2
"Certified Music Junkie"
JesterTheJoker - 4.29.17, 4:56 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
slick2500 said
Whatever you do not buy an aluminum pinion, I'm not even sure why they make these, I bought one back in my nooby days and destroyed it in one pack with the Hot Racing spur gear I was using.
Ive had good luck with ~5 different aluminum pinions, in 64 and 38 Pitch
"My garden is life itself, in the sense that every aspect of it should be taken care of and tended to as you would a rose, trimming off dead leaves and excess, being left with raw beauty, and perfection in my own mind. " - Jester
"Experienced user"
slick2500 - 4.30.17, 5:14 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
JesterTheJoker said
Ive had good luck with ~5 different aluminum pinions, in 64 and 38 Pitch
The one I had was 48p and I was using a steel spur gear.
Ecx 2wd Ruckus
Traxxas Stampede XL-5
Traxxas Summit 1/10
Team Associated Apex
Team Associated RC10B2
"Certified Music Junkie"
JesterTheJoker - 4.30.17, 5:15 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
slick2500 said
The one I had was 48p and I was using a steel spur gear.
See, i run plastic spurs on all my RC's, steel is much harder than aluminum and will wear it down instantly
"Experienced user"
Mustanglad - 4.30.17, 5:35 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
The funny thing is the traxxas one is the only one that last in the truck the Robinson Racing pinions i had got chewed up. They were not the extra hard ones
"Experienced User"
guys2nv - 4.30.17, 7:05 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
I've cracked numerous traxxas pinions over the years just from tightening the set screw down.

I only run the stock plastic traxxas 32p spurs in my slash 4x4/ pede 4x4 to keep them the weak point since they're much cheaper and easier to replace over differential gears. The RRP extra hard pinions and plastic spur with properly set mesh is a combo that hasn't given me any issues.

The RRP extra hard pinions are designed for their own metal spur gear kits.
| Cen Colossus GST-E |
| Stampede 4x4 | Stampede |
| Shelfers - Lunchbox & Blackfoot |
| Futaba 4PLS |
"Experienced user"
slick2500 - 5.01.17, 12:26 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
JesterTheJoker said
See, i run plastic spurs on all my RC's, steel is much harder than aluminum and will wear it down instantly
Yup lesson learned lol.

guys2nv said
I've cracked numerous traxxas pinions over the years just from tightening the set screw down.

I only run the stock plastic traxxas 32p spurs in my slash 4x4/ pede 4x4 to keep them the weak point since they're much cheaper and easier to replace over differential gears. The RRP extra hard pinions and plastic spur with properly set mesh is a combo that hasn't given me any issues.

The RRP extra hard pinions are designed for their own metal spur gear kits.
It took me forever to figure out why the pinion kept coming loose on my Stampede until I saw that it had a crack that ran from the grub screw hole all the way to the hole on top of it then down the other side about halfway to the grub screw hole.
Ecx 2wd Ruckus
Traxxas Stampede XL-5
Traxxas Summit 1/10
Team Associated Apex
Team Associated RC10B2