Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Regular user"
CADM0NK3Y - Yesterday, 11:35 am Post #2281: | Reply With Quote
Cheers Boomfish, any advice is good advice mate, just a newbie at the moment, trying to find what is right for general messing around.

you are right about resting, the back is a little high since I put the stiffer shock springs on (even with one of the spacers removed) I am currently running 50 in the rear and 40 in the front. Went high as I was constantly slapping the rear end hard on landing and dislodged the motor a few times.

Weather is not hot here in North of England (not even warm most of the time, lol), so I might step down to 40R & 35F??
Will also look into your advice on the camber (any tips on getting them close on both sides or is it just by eye?)

Not sure what you mean by front offset?

LOL, after your last post I went and looked at the wheels again Boom . . . . it looks as though I have mixed them up and put the rears on the front and vice versa!! Like I said, total newbie ;-) Good catch Boom
(Last edited by CADM0NK3Y : Yesterday at 12:00 pm)
"coulombs into bedlam since '13"
theboomfish - Yesterday, 1:32 pm Post #2282: | Reply With Quote
Wow, if you are running 50 in the rear and you are up north no wonder you needed stiffer springs! Right now we are probably at the same kind of temps. I lived in south london for 30 years but am now in Finland and the ambient temps are comparable (right now anyway!). I haven't had any problems with the motor moving on super hard landings but you know how you are jumping it so I will leave that up to you. If you go for lower weight oil you might need the stock springs again as you will probably be over sprung.

Camber - you can either buy a camber gauge or get a straight edge or set square and measure how much each wheel is away from the vertical. A couple of degrees will probably work quite nicely.

I mentioned the offset as the rear looks very narrow. It is quite common for peeps to go for the front offset when buying aftermarket rims as they make the overall width greater all round. The rear offset is larger which pulls the wheels in towards the chassis. Obviously wider is more stable in the corners but there is no reason not to run with what you have. Do swap them around though! if anything you want it wider at the back as that is where most of the weight is.
ECX Ruckus V2. HW SCT 3400KV. 60aESC. Metal gears. MIP shafts. Alloy rear hexes. Savox SC-0251MG. T-Bone Bumper+wheelie bar. Trenchers.
ECX Torment 4x4. Circuit chassis. EZRun4000kv 8T Pinion. 9kg WP Servo.
Losi SCTE 1.0 getting faster and faster.
"Regular user"
CADM0NK3Y - Yesterday, 11:21 pm Post #2283: | Reply With Quote
Cheers Boomfish, swapped the rims around last night and it looks better now.

I will get that camber sorted as well ready for some weekend action ;-)

I am a little confused over the shock oil weight, I thought the higher the weight, the better?
"^That's a good time!^"
riskyjedi - Yesterday, 11:35 pm Post #2284: | Reply With Quote
The higher the weight the stiffer the shock will be. The lighter weight flows through the piston in the shocks easier giving the shocks the ability to absorb and rebound quicker. The trade off is that they won't be able to absorb larger impacts such as huge bmx park jumps. The trick is to find out what works best for you. For me and my driving style team losi racing 40w is where I'm happy with.
hpi blitz, redcat rockslide rs10xt, ecx boost, Vaterra twin hammers, helion invictus 10mt, Vaterra kemora, Traxxas Emaxx, scx10 Jeep Rubicon kit (almost done) team associated sc10b rs
"Regular user"
CADM0NK3Y - Yesterday, 11:46 pm Post #2285: | Reply With Quote
riskyjedi said
The higher the weight the stiffer the shock will be. The lighter weight flows through the piston in the shocks easier giving the shocks the ability to absorb and rebound quicker. The trade off is that they won't be able to absorb larger impacts such as huge bmx park jumps. The trick is to find out what works best for you. For me and my driving style team losi racing 40w is where I'm happy with.
Cheers Risky, I run mostly car parks with a small ramp usually 2-3 ft drops and rare trips to the skate park. Might try dropping back to 40 with the stiff springs.
theboomfish - Today, 1:34 am Post #2286: | Reply With Quote
I found the stock oil and springs to be good enough for small jumps like you mention. I upped the weight to 45 in the summer and it was great for Tarmac but as soon as I went off road it was skipping over the bumps and was a bit of a handful.

However for Tarmac and concrete with some jumps thrown in 40 might do you. You just have to try and see if it matches your springs. If you see the car bouncing over bumps and your suspension rebounding too fast then maybe the stock springs and some preload ips are the way forward. If you are making fast turns on Tarmac with lots of grip you want the roll to be minimal which means optimising your truck for that terrain. If you haven't already move your shocks out as I mentioned before. That has a pronounced effect on how much roll you will get.
ECX Ruckus V2. HW SCT 3400KV. 60aESC. Metal gears. MIP shafts. Alloy rear hexes. Savox SC-0251MG. T-Bone Bumper+wheelie bar. Trenchers.
"Regular user"
CADM0NK3Y - Today, 2:42 am Post #2287: | Reply With Quote
theboomfish said
I found the stock oil and springs to be good enough for small jumps like you mention. I upped the weight to 45 in the summer and it was great for Tarmac but as soon as I went off road it was skipping over the bumps and was a bit of a handful.

If you haven't already move your shocks out as I mentioned before. That has a pronounced effect on how much roll you will get.
Thanks for the tips Boom, will move my shocks out and switch up the shock oil. will try 40 rear and 35 front with the stiff springs and see how that holds up.
theboomfish - Today, 3:03 am Post #2288: | Reply With Quote
CADM0NK3Y said
Thanks for the tips Boom, will move my shocks out and switch up the shock oil. will try 40 rear and 35 front with the stiff springs and see how that holds up.
Cool. I am interested in the result. Remember to post back after a few runs
"Regular user"
CADM0NK3Y - Today, 3:52 am Post #2289: | Reply With Quote
theboomfish said
Cool. I am interested in the result. Remember to post back after a few runs
Ha, will do . . . scratches and all