Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
DeathVirus - 7.16.17, 3:06 pm Post #11: | Reply With Quote
BillDeLong said
in the testing I've done, changing ESC didn't effect performance, however underrated ESC did experience higher temps and ESC's over 140°F tend to have shorter lifespans
Was I looking at the same test? You compared a 35amp ESC to a 60amp ESC and the 60amp ran faster! And I quote
"Turnigy 35A ESC + Turnigy 3300kV = 29.1 mph
HobbyWing 60A ESC + Tacon 3200kV = 29.6 mph"
Kraton V2 Street build
Traxxas Summit with Proline Mashers 3.8
Trail Rustler 2wd with Ofna "diff locker"
Latrax Alias with MMW motors
Traxxas Aton Plus
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 7.16.17, 3:22 pm Post #12: | Reply With Quote
those are different motors, the Tacon just performed better, trust me, I've swapped many ESC's out in my stock racers in an attempt to get more speed... specifically 45A Stock ESC's vs 120A ESC's and both ESC's produced the same performance when used on the same motor.
eTruggy + eBuggy + 4WD Mod SC + 4WD Mod ST + 2WD Mod ST + 4WD 13.5T Buggy + 2WD 17.5T Buggy + Spec Slash
"Experienced user"
DeathVirus - 7.16.17, 5:17 pm Post #13: | Reply With Quote
Doesn't a 2 pole have less cogging because less magnetic force which is why you can easily roll a 2 pole RC back and forth easily compared to a 4 pole? And for that same reason it also has less of a drag brake effect?
Kraton V2 Street build
Traxxas Summit with Proline Mashers 3.8
Trail Rustler 2wd with Ofna "diff locker"
Latrax Alias with MMW motors
Traxxas Aton Plus
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 7.16.17, 5:23 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
Not sure about that, I pretty much run sensored motors these days to mitigate any cogging issues... I don't think the number of poles will matter much, just some brands of motors tend to cog less than others and same goes for ESC's where HobbyWing has been my personal favorite and lately I've been having good luck with GoolRC motors too
eTruggy + eBuggy + 4WD Mod SC + 4WD Mod ST + 2WD Mod ST + 4WD 13.5T Buggy + 2WD 17.5T Buggy + Spec Slash
"Experienced user"
Pete®tje - 7.17.17, 6:43 am Post #15: | Reply With Quote
As long as the motor power stays under the ESC limits I believe an ESC swap won't make much difference. DIfferent story when one of the two ESCs is at the end of it's abilities.

A MMP can handle quite more than 65A, not only during bursts. I use one in my 4x4 Pede with a Castle 2650Kv motor in it. It never had problems feeding that. On 3S, that motor eats up to 2000W.

Motor torque is equivalent to it's power. If you have a 2 pole motor which has the same power as a 4 pole one, the torque will be the same.
Nobody is born with experience.