Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"New user"
RGunn - 8.14.17, 8:04 pm Post #341: | Reply With Quote
Billy Kelly said
Yeah, sounds strange to me still, but brushless with nimh works for these. I used to be lips only with them. Mostly cause the original stock battery was unreliable. I've kept the brushless touring car on nimh for almost a year. I did try 2s but was too much for the 1/18 layout.
I've watched your vids many times! Looks like you guys are pushing the cars to their limits as is!

Wish I lived close to you..., I would surely come join your gang at the parking lot track! Looks like a great time and good racing!

I like how you used gutters to make track markers.
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 8.14.17, 9:00 pm Post #342: | Reply With Quote
RGunn said
I've watched your vids many times! Looks like you guys are pushing the cars to their limits as is!

Wish I lived close to you..., I would surely come join your gang at the parking lot track! Looks like a great time and good racing!

I like how you used gutters to make track markers.
The gutters work great. They belong to the TC/F1 guys. Works much better then the PVC pipe we used to use.
"New user"
RGunn - 8.17.17, 4:58 pm Post #343: | Reply With Quote
Both our standard 'Brushed' SCTs are now 'Brushless'. Hopefully we'll get some trouble-free time on these motors??? Three batts. through each truck just to sort them out and program the ESC to our liking. So far they are running nice & cool to the touch.

Setup:

Motor: Hobbywing EZrun 5200KV 18A ESC.
Pinion: 11T.
Battery: Stock NIMH 7.2V 1300MAH.
Diffs: Modded with bearing tabs removed. All nylon gears running dry with no lube.
Steering Servo: Tower Pro MG90S on 6V. No servo saver.
Shocks: F/R 35wt oil, F-stock springs one-2mm preload spacer. R-'Orange' springs one 2mm preload spacer. Shock mounting is stock position. Shock sag/droop is about 30% of travel. 1/16" spacer in each shock to limit down travel of shocks.
Ride Height: 13mm F/R measured at bottom edge of chassis.
Drag Brake: 5%
Max Brake: 75%
Tires: Stock 'SCT' tires on blacktop, Stock 'Desert Truck' tires on loose dirt.

"Experienced user"
re-run - 8.19.17, 2:35 pm Post #344: | Reply With Quote
Ok, so I contacted Hobbico, and I did get a response to the question of the diff tabs. This is his reply, verbatim;
They do cause a lot of drag. I can tell you I have removed them on all my cars
ad have had no wear issues. I have never seen a cars with a shaft/diff are set
up with tabs, the bearing will keep the diff centered with no issues. As to why
It was made this way in the first place I cant say, this is a design we sourced
(then tweaked) and was not created in house. I can tell you it is very common
for manufactures to use the same parts in multiple designs so my best guess is
that this diff was used in something else that required these tabs. I have not
been able to find any good reason for these tabs when used in the Dromida kits.

Of course I do have to tell you that if you do cut them off you have voided the
warrantee that applies to these parts.

Wayne.

As you can see, the design is not a house design, and he did not say where it came from. So this kind of dead ends.

So, I guess people can cut away to their hearts content, unless of course they worry about warranty things! I'm still going to play around with mine before just cutting as I just do not have meaningful drag from mine, but I'll give it a mythbusters "plausible".

As for gears, I'm still lubing those. Sorry but my rc10 6 gear and stealth call for lube, and so does my nitro 4tec.

I'm still going to contemplate 4ws, and a way to clean up all the slop on the steering that does exist, even with mg90 w/o saver.
"New user"
RGunn - 8.19.17, 9:49 pm Post #345: | Reply With Quote
Re-run, thanks for sharing that information. I owe Hobbico/Dromida an apology for suggesting that they would not 'own' the tabs issue even if they were aware of it. Makes me feel good to own the products of a manufacturer that is honest with it's customer base.

Billy Kelly told me the Hot Racing turnbuckle/drag link did stiffen the steering on his Dromida. He felt the flex in the all plastic stock part was improved by the Hot Racing replacement. I may try the Hot Racing part if our trucks keep running well with the brushless upgrades.

Please keep us updated if you make any headway on steering improvements.

Spent yesterday making improvements to our track. Added a step-up jump and a small double. Also enlarged the overall track by 50%! Can't wait to try the brushless trucks on the new & improved track this Monday when my Grandsons are here.
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 8.19.17, 9:56 pm Post #346: | Reply With Quote
The HR bellcrank did improve the rally/TC. It's meant for the truck, should really help those.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291932555402
"Experienced user"
re-run - Yesterday, 8:51 am Post #347: | Reply With Quote
Oh I bet that helps a lot.