Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
n_d_fox - 5.09.17, 8:59 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
It's been a long time since i last posted anything on here, i've been lurking but i havent had time to even run my Slash let alone do anything with it. I moved house in 2015 and have spent a lot of the last (almost) 2 years working on the house and garden, RC took a bit of a back seat, although i will admit to focusing any RC time on modding and running a SCX10

Anyway... my good lady wife picked me up a Traxxas LCG chassis kit for Christmas and after it sat on the shelf for a little while i decided it was time to get it done and give the Slash a well earned rebuild / service.

The originally and lengthy build thread is here - http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169092

So onto the rebuild and LCG install...

Everything stripped and laid out on the table

The shocks in the top left arent Slash designed... i'll go into them later

All new bearings throughout, sealed diff checked, cleaned and refilled with 150k wt oil and everything cleaned and lubed where needed.
Traxxas Raptor / Slash - BL and a few upgrades...
Axial SCX10 Honcho - Jerp G6
"Experienced user"
n_d_fox - 5.09.17, 9:00 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Built up and working out where to put the electrics

Rolling

I had to "mod" how the electronics sat as following the designed holes for the Rx and ESC the motor wires wouldnt reach... i did entertain installing new wires but took the easy route and just swapped things around and made it work.

Blue camo lid

Those shocks... they are 110mm alu units from AsiaTees designed for the SCX10, i'd had them sat in the spares box and decided to try them on the Slash, the res is a working design and with 50wt oil and a bit of tuning they actually work really nicely, butter smooth and enough rebound to take the weight of the truck over bumps.

I also installed the Spectrum Rx with AVC which i have tuned down quite a bit but left enough active control that it actually makes the truck behave very nicely, in testing with a 3s lipo wheelies were nice and controlled and any slides were styled out nicely rather than side gripping and flipping.

Still in need of new rear boots, considering something more aligned to sand / dirt track as we've managed to secure access to a pro spec BMX track nearby and im thinking the trenchers might rip up the surface a bit too much.

Thanks for looking, any feedback or comments welcome, Nige.
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 5.09.17, 11:52 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
I like seeing when people go with offbrand stuff, too often misinformation would have us believe that these off brand parts are decades behind anything that is name brand. When in reality most of the time they are almost just as good and in some very rare cases better for certain applications.

Cool build man, it must have been very satisfying having all the parts cleaned up and ready for assembly. I've been meaning to do a full tear down, clean n lube on mine but man is it a lengthy process.
"The predator lives alone, he accepts this reality as the cost for his existence "
"Experienced user"
n_d_fox - 5.10.17, 1:05 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
riderinblack said
I like seeing when people go with offbrand stuff, too often misinformation would have us believe that these off brand parts are decades behind anything that is name brand. When in reality most of the time they are almost just as good and in some very rare cases better for certain applications.

Cool build man, it must have been very satisfying having all the parts cleaned up and ready for assembly. I've been meaning to do a full tear down, clean n lube on mine but man is it a lengthy process.
Granted all of the parts on this truck are designed for the Slash (aside from the slipper assembly, from memory thats from an Associated rig) but the only Traxxas made part is the tub, frony bulkhead and servo / steering assembly. Everything else is from RPM, Anza or somewhere else.

The shocks might explode on their first proper test but from appearance they are every bit as robust as the stock Slash units, if size is anything to go by i would say they would be quite at home on a 1/8 scale buggy or similar. Either way they were a parts bin spare so they havent cost me anything if they dont work out on this application.

I think part of the reason it had been so long since i gave this thing any love was exactly what you said, to do it properly its a full day or 2, this rebuild / upgrade was spread over about 3-4 days as i didnt have 100% time to spend on it, altogether i reckon it was about 5-6 hours work, taking my time and remembering how it all hung together again...