Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
slick2500 - 6.27.17, 11:27 pm Post #51: | Reply With Quote
My Googlefoo pulled off some good info on that boat is it a 1/10th scale replica of a 1929 Chris Craft Typhoon. So far I have found 2 different companies that made them, Imex, and Dumas. The Dumas version was called the Michigan. And Tower Hobbies still sells it. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXE364&P=8
I also found a thread on rc groups where someone built this kit, it would take me years to do it lol.
(Last edited by slick2500 : 6.28.17 at 12:15 am)
Ecx 2wd Ruckus
Traxxas Stampede XL-5
Traxxas Summit 1/10
Team Associated Apex
Team Associated RC10B2
"Experienced user"
Habanero - 6.28.17, 7:56 am Post #52: | Reply With Quote
You have no idea lol.

I messed up and at one point- I sanded through a plank so I had to go back and do that whole section over.

Crazy sanding to get it all smooth, then when you fiberglass the hull you have to do it AGAIN - sand the epoxy down smooth again.

The final part of finishing the hull was my favorite when you lay the mahogany planks down... you sometimes have to shape them to fit and when you do it - very rewarding. Guessing 300 hours into this one.
"I really don't pay attention to what anyone else says and don't care lol. I do what I like and it keeps me happy. " - Theibault
"Experienced user"
slick2500 - 6.28.17, 4:12 pm Post #53: | Reply With Quote
I had no idea it was mohogany I thought it was balsa or fake wood.
I did get a short video of the boat yesterday before it stormed, and you weren't kidding when you said that it wasn't that fast.

(watch this on YouTube for more options)

(Last edited by slick2500 : 6.28.17 at 4:19 pm)
Ecx 2wd Ruckus
Traxxas Stampede XL-5
Traxxas Summit 1/10
Team Associated Apex
Team Associated RC10B2
"Experienced user"
Habanero - 6.28.17, 4:50 pm Post #54: | Reply With Quote
The inner core of yours is fiberglass with mahogany planks on the outside.

Mine just above is a DUMAS - like the Michigan one you mentioned in your post- those are a hardwood frame with sintra over that (or balsa) then mahogany planked over all that. Then the whole shebang is fiberglassed.

"I really don't pay attention to what anyone else says and don't care lol. I do what I like and it keeps me happy. " - Theibault
"Experienced user"
Habanero - 6.28.17, 6:58 pm Post #55: | Reply With Quote
My favorite boat action pic

"Experienced user"
slick2500 - 6.28.17, 10:50 pm Post #56: | Reply With Quote
I need to get guy to drive my boat. I wonder if my mom still has my G.I. Joes in her attic.
Ecx 2wd Ruckus
Traxxas Stampede XL-5
Traxxas Summit 1/10
Team Associated Apex
Team Associated RC10B2
"Experienced user"
Habanero - 8.06.17, 1:48 pm Post #57: | Reply With Quote
Just renovated this so was a little disappointed to see a little water in there. The propshaft corroded a little and has some pits maybe that is the problem.
(Last edited by Habanero : 8.06.17 at 1:58 pm)
"Experienced user"
Habanero - 8.06.17, 2:26 pm Post #58: | Reply With Quote
"Experienced user"
Habanero - 8.16.17, 7:25 am Post #59: | Reply With Quote
I've been wanting to upgrade the esc on this so I can use lipos. It just dawned on me I have one- from a crashed plane.
"Hasa Diga Eebowai!"
lsear2905 - 8.16.17, 1:28 pm Post #60: | Reply With Quote
Habanero said
I've been wanting to upgrade the esc on this so I can use lipos. It just dawned on me I have one- from a crashed plane.
That's a beautiful boat!
from Melbourne, Australia (where Winter is Summer, and we use the metric system)

Bored? Check out and follow my Instagram feed @mycousinscrogg
Really bored? lsear2905's Garage in the General RC section
Want even more? Check out my flickr page at flickr.com/lsear