Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"New user"
asuiter77 - 7.24.17, 11:15 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Picked up a Slash 4x4 Ultimate Brushless (running 2s) that needs some TLC and currently is missing 2 wheels/tires. I am trying to build this thing back up under budget so my budget for 4 new/used wheel/tire combo is $50. Here is what I found and am torn between:

Option 1 - (4) Barely used Proline Badlands w/ Renegade wheels for $50

Option 2 - (4) Brand new Traxxas Split-6 with the S1 BFG KM2s for $36

I researched both tires and they seem to both have decent reviews. My usage is for bashing with 80% offorad (i.e. soccer fields, yard, loose dirt, maybe occasional track use)

I guess the real question here is, are the Proline's worth the extra $14.

Also, any other options for under $50 for 4 wheels/tires I am missing please feel free to chime in.

New to the hobby so my tire experience is limited.

Thanks in advance
"Experienced user"
Mxmumpwr - 8.08.17, 9:59 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
IMO, Yes, the badlands are worth the extra $$.
Another option are the Duratrax. They have many offerings for rough terrain, road, and track.

One thing I did, and some will disagree as there are pro's and con's, but I bought several sets of Pro-line bead loc rims. I have a set for street tires and a set for off road. This way, I can swap out tires for different track conditions or easily swap old tires for new. That's the positives. The cons is that they are initially more expensive and the wheels will weigh more.

So in sticking with your budget friendly, I suggest looking at Duratrax.
Although you might get a good used set of tires, depending on age and abuse, they can sometimes be drying out and cracking. So just be careful.
Slash 4x4 - HCG
Kraton - Basher (4s)
Raider Mega ('14) - strong chassis/weak electronics
Dromida Ominus - consistent and dependable.
"I'm Canadian."
MasteroFlego - 8.08.17, 10:24 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
i bought a set of beadlocks with my badlands because i didn't want to buy more wheels, i hate gluing, and then i can easily replace the tires when they wear out. i also bought the STRC alu rings, the cost of which was offset by the fact that one pair was about 50% of the price of the other. the badlands are amazing on grass, dirt, gravel and basically any loose material. i took them trailing once, and they performed very well. on road they actually do alright, but the accelerated wear is just not worth it.
Traxxas Stampede (formerly Grave Digger), Custom Solid axle Beetle
"Stay Fit"
Corrupt - 8.08.17, 10:43 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Night and day difference between the Traxxas tires and Badlands. Badlands are some of the best out there for what they are designed for. Off-road use. If you want to drive on-road at all, I'd suggest looking for a cheap set of dedicated road use tires. For those, it doesn't really matter what tires you get, as most will grip on-road.

Don't expect the badlands to do well on the track. For occasional use, they'll be okay. But don't expect to win races with them..

-Corrupt
Stay Fit.
"Experienced user"
Backyard RC - 8.08.17, 2:59 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
You can look at Dollar Hobbyz for some cheap tire options.
Tekno SCT 410.3, Arrma Kraton, Traxxas Slash 4x4, Tacon/LC Racing Rally/SCT/MT x3, Losi Mini 8ight, Carisma M10DB, Axial AX10 Deadbolt, Vaterra Ascender '72 Bronco, Thunder Tiger Kaiser XS, Sky RC SR5 Super Rider
"Experienced user"
nickandluke - 8.08.17, 6:09 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Badlands for the win. I had them on a stadium truck. They are huge and grip was amazing. Go 3s. You will have so much grip 2s will be a walk in the park
"Hasa Diga Eebowai!"
lsear2905 - 8.08.17, 7:00 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Badlands - ABSOLUTELY worth the extra $14.

(Just noticed the OP posted 25th July... this has only just shown up)
from Melbourne, Australia (where Winter is Summer, and we use the metric system)

Bored? Check out and follow my Instagram feed @mycousinscrogg
Really bored? lsear2905's Garage in the General RC section
Want even more? Check out my flickr page at flickr.com/lsear
"Experienced user"
Thumper01 - 8.08.17, 7:04 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
I've had really good success with Traxxas Kumho pre-mounted tires in their S2 compound. I'm not saying they are as good as the Badlands, but I like them on my 2wd Slash.