Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"ae fanboy"
Kingy - 6.17.17, 8:54 pm Post #121: | Reply With Quote
haha, another rwd convert!

I've still got a countersteer eagle racing drifter, but it very rarely gets used. Then again its been a very long time since I've used my rwd either, need to get it out for a run.
Associated [RC10B5M - RC10T4.1 FT - RC10B4.1 WORLD'S - RC10B44.2 - RC8T CE-E - RC8BE]
Durango [DESC210R] Ofna [NEXX10SC] Serpent [S411] RC4WD [Bully - Bully2]
Gmade [Sawback] Axial [Scx10 - Wraith - Yeti] Eagle Racing [TT-01 V.3] MST [FXX-D]
"Experienced user"
Gramps50 - 6.18.17, 8:43 pm Post #122: | Reply With Quote
Maybe if I had been further into AWD it might have been harder to convert but when I went to the local drift track the 1st time. I got to drive a couple RWD drifters and it wasn't that hard & was more realistic looking too. So right then and there I decided to go RWD & haven't looked back.

I did discover something tonight when doing so testing in the basement. I found myself steering into the slide which then defeats the gyro from totally doing it's job as I would have the wheels locked. I began forcing myself not to steer into the turn and used the throttle more to correct the slide. I had myself broke from doing this like in AWD so I'm not sure when I picked it back up. I'm thinking when we switched from carpet to polished concrete.
-- Gramps
"ae fanboy"
Kingy - 6.18.17, 9:27 pm Post #123: | Reply With Quote
Yeah, changing grip levels will change your driving style until you find the perfect tires. Good pickup though, a lot of people would start blaming the car instead of noticing a bad habit on themselves.
Associated [RC10B5M - RC10T4.1 FT - RC10B4.1 WORLD'S - RC10B44.2 - RC8T CE-E - RC8BE]
Gmade [Sawback] Axial [Scx10 - Wraith - Yeti] Eagle Racing [TT-01 V.3] MST [FXX-D]
"Experienced user"
Gramps50 - 6.20.17, 7:07 pm Post #124: | Reply With Quote
I did notice on the concrete that the tires made a much bigger difference that on the carpet of the old track. I just ordered a set of MST Golds to try. A couple of the guys are using Silver dots Falcon Hobby is out of the Silvers. I do have a pair of silver dot FR-F for the front. The guys here generally agree that the front & rear compound should be the same. Currently I running the Mukuni Hards on the front which is what we used on the carpet and some DS-Racing FXX Mark II on the rear.

Having better luck with the MST FXX-D on the concrete over the YD-2 I can;t seem to get the YD-2 tuned to the concrete. Kind of gave up on it for a while and just been working on the FXX-D
-- Gramps
"ae fanboy"
Kingy - 6.21.17, 12:26 pm Post #125: | Reply With Quote
I think we ran mst red dots on polished concrete, though I've only driven on it a couple times so could be off there.

The fxx-d is a decent platform, I've got a few ssg upgrades on mine

"Experienced user"
Gramps50 - 6.21.17, 9:51 pm Post #126: | Reply With Quote
I just ordered a set of bearing for my FXX-D I put the front ones in some alcohol and after soaking a bit it looked like rusty water. I reoiled them but they just didn't feel right so I ordered a set for Avid. Was tightening up the steering some the other night and found that it had bushings. Replaced them with bearing and it made a ton of difference.

I have a set of Golds on the way so I'll try them out Friday night, unless they get here tomorrow then I might have to go to the track tomorrow night to test them. :-)
-- Gramps
"Experienced user"
Gramps50 - 8.09.17, 8:38 pm Post #127: | Reply With Quote
Picked up another FXX-D this one had alum shocks, CF shock towers, & alum steering rack. After setting it back to factory setting for the most part I gave it a shot in the basement. Still need to take it to the track and see what it does there.

https://youtu.be/1hmmevKQaCM
-- Gramps