Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Bboy - 8.11.17, 6:05 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hey guys,

I just bought an OS 28XZ engine I need to break this in and have read that some people have had issues turning this engine over. I need a reliable and powerful starter box. What starter boxes do you guys have? What have been the pros and cons? I am currently looking at the Mugen starter box for truggy or buggy.

Appreciate the info!
"Experienced user"
Doomiedee - 8.19.17, 6:47 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
when i need a started for my nitros i use my drill and a home made hex adaptor. i never used boxes but the drill works just as well. just remove the pull start if you have one and put the oneway bearing in the hex bit and press the button. biggest downside is starters make it easy to flood the engine so be careful when trying to start it like that . i had to regularly remove the glowplug and clean it and let out the fuel cause it turned so fast. up side is if the engine is well tuned it should pop fast
"Experienced user"
Bboy - 8.19.17, 11:35 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Doomiedee said
when i need a started for my nitros i use my drill and a home made hex adaptor. i never used boxes but the drill works just as well. just remove the pull start if you have one and put the oneway bearing in the hex bit and press the button. biggest downside is starters make it easy to flood the engine so be careful when trying to start it like that . i had to regularly remove the glowplug and clean it and let out the fuel cause it turned so fast. up side is if the engine is well tuned it should pop fast
Doomidee,

Thanks for the reply.

I have bought an OS 28XZ and it is a bump start motor. I have read that it is a tight engine and people have had issues starting them with some boxes. I have two other engines that use the HPI rotor start and so far it has'nt failed me. I have no experience with starter boxes.

What engine are you running?
"Experienced user"
Doomiedee - Yesterday, 8:21 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
I had a few AE .15 stock engines and a os .15cv, the os was always the toughest one to start I used a pull start or the drill to start my os. The drill is very similar to rotor start. I noticed a few my ae engines get real tight when flooded so maybe that was their problem. I seen many people who used boxes just keep pressing the car down over n over then when they car wouldn't start they just head home.
"Experienced user"
Bboy - Today, 1:06 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Doomiedee said
I had a few AE .15 stock engines and a os .15cv, the os was always the toughest one to start I used a pull start or the drill to start my os. The drill is very similar to rotor start. I noticed a few my ae engines get real tight when flooded so maybe that was their problem. I seen many people who used boxes just keep pressing the car down over n over then when they car wouldn't start they just head home.
Yeah the pinch on those racing engines are tight!

My LRP zr.32 spec 4 engine has arrived. It is pullstart but when I get sick of it I'll use a drill to start it.

Thanks for the tip!
"ae fanboy"
Kingy - Today, 2:05 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
I ran an Ofna truggy 775 starter box that ran off 2x 7.2v nimh in series. Worked great, never had any issues starting an OS .21, Hpi .28 or a force .32
Associated [RC10B5M - RC10T4.1 FT - RC10B4.1 WORLD'S - RC10B44.2 - RC8T CE-E - RC8BE]
Durango [DESC210R] Ofna [NEXX10SC] Serpent [S411] RC4WD [Bully - Bully2]
Gmade [Sawback] Axial [Scx10 - Wraith - Yeti] Eagle Racing [TT-01 V.3] MST [FXX-D]
"Experienced user"
Bboy - Today, 3:10 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Kingy said
I ran an Ofna truggy 775 starter box that ran off 2x 7.2v nimh in series. Worked great, never had any issues starting an OS .21, Hpi .28 or a force .32
Kingy, thanks.

Will have a look around. Tower and amain have some limited choices, so far I am leaning towards the Mugen off road starter.