Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
DeathVirus - 8.10.17, 5:46 pm Post #91: | Reply With Quote
I have a Twin Hammers on order! Thinking of putting 2.8 tires on it. I'm not worried about scale, just performance
Kraton V2 Street build
Traxxas Summit with Proline Mashers 3.8
Trail Rustler 2wd with Ofna "diff locker"
Latrax Alias with MMW motors
Traxxas Aton Plus
"ae fanboy"
Kingy - 8.10.17, 5:56 pm Post #92: | Reply With Quote
Then you'll be better off sticking to 1.9" or 2.2" at most. I can't think of a single 2.8" tire that I would consider for it.
Associated [RC10B5M - RC10T4.1 FT - RC10B4.1 WORLD'S - RC10B44.2 - RC8T CE-E - RC8BE]
Durango [DESC210R] Ofna [NEXX10SC] Serpent [S411] RC4WD [Bully - Bully2]
Gmade [Sawback] Axial [Scx10 - Wraith - Yeti] Eagle Racing [TT-01 V.3] MST [FXX-D]
"Experienced user"
DeathVirus - 8.12.17, 8:31 am Post #93: | Reply With Quote
Kingy said
Then you'll be better off sticking to 1.9" or 2.2" at most. I can't think of a single 2.8" tire that I would consider for it.
Because of looks or grip? The Summit and Yeti XL seem to do well with basher 3.8 tires that aren't even made for crawling and the Yeti XL has open diffs
Kraton V2 Street build
Traxxas Aton Plus
"ae fanboy"
Kingy - 8.12.17, 8:42 am Post #94: | Reply With Quote
For the same reasons I detailed in your thread on the topic mainly.

Seem to do well at what exactly? The Yeti xl is a rock racer, and the Summit is a basher that happens to have remote locking diffs. Neither are crawlers.
Associated [RC10B5M - RC10T4.1 FT - RC10B4.1 WORLD'S - RC10B44.2 - RC8T CE-E - RC8BE]
Gmade [Sawback] Axial [Scx10 - Wraith - Yeti] Eagle Racing [TT-01 V.3] MST [FXX-D]
"ae fanboy"
Kingy - 8.12.17, 8:49 am Post #95: | Reply With Quote
To me it sounds more like a bomber or wraith would be more suitable to your needs. Same wraith in both videos, just changed body panels, added a spare in the rear for weight, and for the crawling bits turned the drag brake on.

(watch this on YouTube for more options)

"Experienced user"
DeathVirus - 8.12.17, 10:27 am Post #96: | Reply With Quote
Kingy said
To me it sounds more like a bomber or wraith would be more suitable to your needs. Same wraith in both videos, just changed body panels, added a spare in the rear for weight, and for the crawling bits turned the drag brake on.

Awesome!

What do you call this? This isn't rock crawling? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eLql66CgaB4
Kraton V2 Street build
Traxxas Aton Plus
"ae fanboy"
Kingy - 8.12.17, 11:22 am Post #97: | Reply With Quote
I wouldn't really call that crawling, more trail running up a Rocky hill. That doesn't mean that it doesn't look like great fun, but they look like they're struggling a fair bit, and it's only really the height of the tires and locked diffs that's helping them out.

Rock crawling is more about set lines with tricky gates to get through. This means you not only need to be able to go up over ledges, but down them as well, and sidehill and make tight off camber turns and other fun things like that.

You can clearly see plenty of times in the video where the suspension let's the diffs drop all the way down and hang up, or where more steering would help, or more droop would let a wheel drop down and get traction instead of floating it up in the air.

There's nothing at all wrong with trail running though, I do it all the time and do it with vehicles that are absolutely not designed to be driven in that manner (independent front and rear suspension, rear motored mf01x for example). That's also part of the reason why I love my leaf sprung Sawback too, because it isn't anywhere near as good as my scx10 so it's more of a challenge.

The crawling video I posted above is barely what I would call crawling either, it was just a video to show off how well Sensored brushless handles it. The wraith was set up for u4rc style driving so struggles a fair bit at times.
"Experienced user"
DeathVirus - 8.12.17, 12:35 pm Post #98: | Reply With Quote
Kingy said
I wouldn't really call that crawling, more trail running up a Rocky hill. That doesn't mean that it doesn't look like great fun, but they look like they're struggling a fair bit, and it's only really the height of the tires and locked diffs that's helping them out.

Rock crawling is more about set lines with tricky gates to get through. This means you not only need to be able to go up over ledges, but down them as well, and sidehill and make tight off camber turns and other fun things like that.

You can clearly see plenty of times in the video where the suspension let's the diffs drop all the way down and hang up, or where more steering would help, or more droop would let a wheel drop down and get traction instead of floating it up in the air.

There's nothing at all wrong with trail running though, I do it all the time and do it with vehicles that are absolutely not designed to be driven in that manner (independent front and rear suspension, rear motored mf01x for example). That's also part of the reason why I love my leaf sprung Sawback too, because it isn't anywhere near as good as my scx10 so it's more of a challenge.

The crawling video I posted above is barely what I would call crawling either, it was just a video to show off how well Sensored brushless handles it. The wraith was set up for u4rc style driving so struggles a fair bit at times.
I do understand the difference though. RCsparks Studio did a rock crawling thing with a TH using gates and all that and it was very technical. I can see the difference

I want to setup my TH for U4RC without actually racing in it but I can't see the pictures of people's setups. I don't want to spend much money either (for example, I wana keep the front end stock). I'm just interested in suspension setups (most important) and good all-around tires to use. I plan on switching over to the Titan 12T for sure for the extra torque. The ESC can handle it. It'll be slower but more efficient

My rear sway bars just arrived today. I plan on using the medium or hard ones. I hate rollovers.. I'll try medium first and go from there. My Gens Ace battery and TH should be in by next week I hope. I hope Gens Ace is right about the battery weight on that 2s 3500mah 60C. 144grams is crazy good for a hardcase in that size.

I too like a challenge which is another reason why I chose the TH over the Yeti and Rock Rey
(Last edited by DeathVirus : 8.12.17 at 12:39 pm)
Kraton V2 Street build
Traxxas Aton Plus
"ae fanboy"
Kingy - 8.12.17, 12:57 pm Post #99: | Reply With Quote
Have a look at u4rc or even twin hammers groups on Facebook, should find plenty there.

I'd look at at least an upright shock tower for it. That will in turn let you move your battery forward too.

I'd also skip brushed all together and go around a 13.5t brushless setup on 3s.

For tires, I'd look at 1.9 ottsix klr, probably in blue to give a nice mix of grip and life.
"Experienced user"
DeathVirus - 8.13.17, 10:27 am Post #100: | Reply With Quote
Kingy said
Have a look at u4rc or even twin hammers groups on Facebook, should find plenty there.

I'd look at at least an upright shock tower for it. That will in turn let you move your battery forward too.

I'd also skip brushed all together and go around a 13.5t brushless setup on 3s.

For tires, I'd look at 1.9 ottsix klr, probably in blue to give a nice mix of grip and life.
I wonder why the cantilever suspension in the TH gets such a bad rap. It such an amazing suspension on the summit and other traxxas trucks. They have amazing suspension travel on the traxxas trucks- even the Slayer Pro with its short arms has good articulation
Kraton V2 Street build
Traxxas Aton Plus