Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Eric1977 - 7.31.17, 8:29 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
This guy used compressed air upside down to get the coolant onto the Esc and motor prior to a speed run. It got the Temps to negative 40.

I think will try this if getting close to thermal cutoff on hot days; it could keep you going pack after pack.

https://youtu.be/iK9d-U8criY
"Experienced user"
Jim85IROC - 7.31.17, 9:04 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
The rapid cooling and repeated temperature swings will probably do more damage than just the heat. The repeated rapid heat cycles of dissimilar materials that expand and contract at different rates will likely cause premature failure.
"User Still Using"
rustyus - 7.31.17, 1:41 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
I think the OP may have taken the whole "cooling down method" the wrong way. I could see the purpose of doing it before a speed run, but not immediately after to do another speed run in quick succession.
"carpet killer"
rag6 - 8.12.17, 2:01 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
I use an ice cube to cool my motors when the temp over 160. Gets them down to 120 in about 5 seconds. I just pick up a fully iced big gulp on my way to bashing...
HERE WE GO STEELERS !!!!!
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 8.12.17, 3:00 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Yeah, this is a bad idea. First of all, cooling down the parts that much and then heating them up again so quickly will damage them; brake rotors are sometimes cyrogenically treated to harden them, but they have to be cooled and re-warmed over several days to avoid damage. Second, cooling down the surface doesn't do squat to cool down the interior, which is where heat-related damage actually occurs.

If you want to do one speed run after another and your motor can't handle it, you need a better motor for the job. Simple as that.
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.