Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Vacationing user"
nerdyrcdriver - 8.07.11, 8:49 am Post #41: | Reply With Quote
I meant like the rustler or t4.1 and similar are stadium trucks that are kind of a more modern take on the srt.
"Experienced user"
Fiero_Man_121 - 8.08.11, 2:03 am Post #42: | Reply With Quote
yeah i guess you could put it that way. there were many before and since the srt though. stadium trucks are by no means a new thing.

most modern stadium trucks and buggies can place their lineage at the rc10 and rc10t (respectively)

i took some photos last time i was at this wood shop i hang out at. the owners sold off a lot of the good and cleaner stuff but these are some of the cars that inspired this truck. (using a album link)
http://s483.photobucket.com/albums/r...T/inspiration/
Florida Oval Racer | Vintage traxxas collector | Mad Scientist
"Vacationing user"
nerdyrcdriver - 8.08.11, 12:51 pm Post #43: | Reply With Quote
Wood shop as in one of those places you can go if you dont have a garage full of tools but want to work with wood? Why are there rc cars there? Are people making wood parts? That would be awesome!
"Experienced user"
Fiero_Man_121 - 8.08.11, 4:40 pm Post #44: | Reply With Quote
no, they are wood workers and have a whole shop, they just happen to be really into rc, the younger brother is the president of the oval club i race with the other owns the wood shop.
"Vacationing user"
nerdyrcdriver - 8.08.11, 5:01 pm Post #45: | Reply With Quote
Oh, ok.
"Impervious to Perfection"
2genewb - 8.16.11, 1:10 am Post #46: | Reply With Quote
ooooooooh... progress piktars!!! almost missed them. actually, i was considering harassing you about some progress. glad i checked here.
No Cerveza, No Trabajo. Muchas Gracias.
"Experienced user"
Fiero_Man_121 - 8.16.11, 1:14 pm Post #47: | Reply With Quote
actually there's some more progress, i posted up a thread on a few of the forums i frequent so now its game time, the parts are soaking atm so they will be cleaned up by thursday. then i need to lay out the chassis.
(Last edited by Fiero_Man_121 : 8.17.11 at 6:05 am)
"Experienced user"
Fiero_Man_121 - 8.17.11, 6:19 am Post #48: | Reply With Quote
ok i have some time this morning so i did one of my favorite things in life, tranny tear down!

despite outward appearances the internals were more then satisfactory, the diff was in great shape though i rebuilt it anyway since i have a preferred lubricant and method, the top gear was the steel unit, that will be swapped out for a machined plastic trx team gear, the idler has been worn down a bit but is still totally usable. im going to try a cut down on it too. way way back in the days of brushed motors racers and mfg's would sell and make gears that were thinner to reduce driveline drag. since im running a 19dbl this ought to be totally fine and should give me a bit more gearing wiggle room.

diff all reassembled

the lubricant i use for the diff, its lithium based (and long since discontinued) grease but i dont use much of it and ive got plenty

as i said this is going to be an asphalt car so i need asphalt tires

mounting the fronts will be somewhat tricky but ive got some plans

the other issue with these is their size, they are tiny! about 2 3/4 inches in diameter. im going to need to gear way way up, probably 78/25 if not taller still. i may need to find a smaller spur like in the 65-75 range

(compared to a gladiator[1] 2.2 truck)
"Do you even race?"
indy34096 - 8.17.11, 6:37 am Post #49: | Reply With Quote
this thing is beginning to come along nicely. how much do you think youre going to gear up to make up for the smaller tires?

you know, just looking at the srt makes me wonder what traxxas couldve done with their lineup...its just amazing.
TLR 22 MM, B4.1 Factory Team, RC10 Classic, Proboat Impulse 26
Larry's Performance R/C's | RC Clubhouse
"Experienced user"
Fiero_Man_121 - 8.17.11, 8:20 am Post #50: | Reply With Quote
well it depends on a few things, wheel spin, final roll out, air temp, etc. ill just play it by ear and see where im at from my baseline. i know with buggy tires (2.2/2.15) a 19dbl in a 2.72 should be about 24/83 for long runs (which this will be geared towards) but these are a tad smaller then buggy tires so i think 24/78 should be a good base line.

also while i was mowing the lawn a few thoughts occurred to me. im going to need to break in this motor in reverse since its going to be a mid-motor car. the other was more of an observation. the HOA decided to top coat the streets in my neighborhood (dont even get me started about it) which means all my tires (rubber or foam) will have no grip at all once the road gets driven on more. i may need to buy a traction compound to treat those tires. we'll see when car meets road.

theres a few ways to look at this top coat nonsense. 1, itll mean a smoother driving surface (great for my fiero as well as this car) 2, itll be less abrasive so my foam tires will last longer but if i apply a traction compound itll mean the tires will wear faster (i think) and 3, it may still be rough enough to get grip and im simply over thinking all of it.