Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
tylerdurden455 - 1.05.12, 6:38 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hey guys, I've been stalking this forum for quite a while and I've seen a lot of good vintage Traxxas information here. About 2 or 3 years ago I set out to collect all the Traxxas vehicles that were produced and sold to the public for the first 10 years they were in business. To date I've collected mint or near mint versions of all but one- then suddenly one I've never heard of appeared.

I'm sure the vintage TRX guys here are familiar with the Monster Buggy (1:5th scale) that Traxxas produced, but I've seen little (read: no) information about the street version of this buggy which was apparently made for a very short run. It had a Mercedes racing body and (I believe) the same 2-stroke motor the monster buggy had on it. Has anyone heard of this vehicle? If so, does anyone have any documentation on it? I just purchased one, new in box but missing the wheels and tires (don't ask me what happened to them- no idea). Anyway, I'm hoping someone here might have some information about this model.. I'm not even sure of the name, just model 5601... so I dubbed it the "Monster Street" because of TRX's naming convention at the time... but that's just a guess.

Here's a link to some photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eightys...7628731175569/

Any information is much appreciated- and a set of wheels and tires could be in the works as I have found a lead on some. Still, if you know of any please let me know. Thanks!
"Experienced user"
Fiero_Man_121 - 1.05.12, 2:00 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
yes i have heard about it, there was a thread on traxxas a few months back about on on ebay i think.
Florida Oval Racer | Vintage traxxas collector | Mad Scientist
"Experienced user"
Magicmole - 1.05.12, 2:27 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Wow cool! Do you have pics with body on? I have never seen one of these and cant even find pics on google, thats a rare car you got there!
Is magic!

Yaaaaay im finally an experienced user
"Experienced user"
tylerdurden455 - 1.05.12, 2:39 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Not yet- I just made the purchase so it hasn't come in yet. Once it does I'll have to paint it (after I decide on a theme, since I don't have a "box art" to go by) but I'll snap a couple of pictures during the trim and paint process. Hopefully eventually I'll find wheels and tires and get a finished product picture set as well.
"Experienced user"
dave00beer - 1.05.12, 2:58 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Yep, Heard about them in the past, IMO you got one helluva deal on that.

Nice score!

Makes me miss my monster buggy, from years back.

Also seen your website/blog, some pretty nice pieces you got there.

EDIT:

Heres a quote from a Traxxas employee back in 2001 regarding it.

Mustang said
For a short time we sold a 1/5 scale on-road car that used similar drive components from the the Monster Buggy but had different suspension. It had an ABS sedan body on it that resembled a Mercedes. It had rubber racing slicks on it. Demand for it was low so it was dropped from the line several years ago. It's tough to find a good place to run something like that. The Monster Buggy is alot more fun!!!!!
(Last edited by dave00beer : 1.05.12 at 3:02 pm)
Koz
"Experienced user"
tylerdurden455 - 1.05.12, 3:13 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
dave00beer said
Yep, Heard about them in the past, IMO you got one helluva deal on that.

Nice score!

Makes me miss my monster buggy, from years back.

Also seen your website/blog, some pretty nice pieces you got there.

EDIT:

Heres a quote from a Traxxas employee back in 2001 regarding it.
Thanks, I feel like it was a great deal as well. I have a very good Monster Buggy it'll look great next to. Thanks for the compliment on the website, I'll be photographing and updating the blog with the other 25 or so Traxxas vehicles over the next year. I'm only missing one (unless another one I'm unaware of pops up- lol). Trying to post them all in order of year produced..
"Experienced user"
dave00beer - 1.05.12, 6:09 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Very cool!

I have your blog bookmarked, Will keep a eye on it.
(Last edited by dave00beer : 1.05.12 at 6:13 pm)
Koz
"East Bound and Down to the lhs"
Tejahas - 1.05.12, 6:25 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
good luck on finding those wheels and tires
Sorry, my tragectory looked good when I pulled the trigger...
"Experienced user"
tylerdurden455 - 1.06.12, 5:25 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Tejahas said
good luck on finding those wheels and tires
Thanks- one problem is that I'm not sure what to look for. Don't have a clear picture about what the wheels are supposed to look like, etc.. and seeing how this is the first I've heard of the vehicle, I doubt I'm going to run into original wheels and tires very often. Maybe I can find something that works, even if it's not original.
"Surprisingly Informative"
ntp - 1.06.12, 5:38 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Try vintage issues of RC car mag.
They have a digital archive of all the issues they've produced since day one.

Might be a bit of help to you.

Good Luck.
Axial AX-10 Scorpion Modified a tad.
Summit vxl the "Tink Tank"
Stampede 4x4 vxl.
Cadillac RC10 GoldTub minor mods.
Slash 2wd