Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 7.30.17, 12:25 am Post #21: | Reply With Quote
Thumper01 said
I realize that Arrma is a Hobbico brand. It just seems a bit contrite, that's all. I just don't understand the intentions. It's not as if Arrma's use of the cantilever style suspension is causing Traxxas any grief.
Sure it is. People who bought Arrma Nero's might've bought Traxxas E-Revo's and Summits instead, if only they hadn't had any other choice. Hypothetical lost profits are considered real damage in US courts.
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.
"Experienced user"
Norco kid - 7.30.17, 6:20 am Post #22: | Reply With Quote
fyrstormer said
Sure it is. People who bought Arrma Nero's might've bought Traxxas E-Revo's and Summits instead, if only they hadn't had any other choice. Hypothetical lost profits are considered real damage in US courts.
Whaaaat? Isn't that the point of every RC car EVER? To try to earn their share of the market? Doesn't the TRX-4 infringe on Axial's sales?

The irony here is that the Nero isn't even really a big hit. I wonder if Traxxas is truly scared of the competition from Arrma or if they're just being the industry bully because they can.
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 7.30.17, 6:39 am Post #23: | Reply With Quote
I'm only disagreeing with you from a strictly legal point of view.
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 7.30.17, 6:47 am Post #24: | Reply With Quote
Norco kid said
Whaaaat? Isn't that the point of every RC car EVER? To try to earn their share of the market? Doesn't the TRX-4 infringe on Axial's sales?

The irony here is that the Nero isn't even really a big hit. I wonder if Traxxas is truly scared of the competition from Arrma or if they're just being the industry bully because they can.
I'm sure Axial went through the TRX4 the minute they got their hand on one.

While it can look like them being a bully. They doing what ever major company would do. And has done.

Look at the music industry. Was it right for Marvin Gaye family to sue a young up coming singer for borrowing his music. And profiting off it.

When Vanilla Ice borrowed Queens "under pressure ".
"Experienced user"
Norco kid - 7.30.17, 6:55 am Post #25: | Reply With Quote
fyrstormer said
I think suing because of the Nero would be an open-and-shut case, honestly. Low-slung chassis with battery-boxes on either side, motor on top, long-travel cantilever suspension front and rear, remote-locking diffs...the Nero is basically what would happen if someone did an E-Revo conversion to a Summit.

Being able to sue because of one specific design feature that has existed for decades is absurd, though. In my mind, if there's been a violation of intellectual property, it's because Hobbico produced a vehicle that very closely mimics the Summit's overall design, not just one easily-recognizable feature.
Wait you think this:

Looks like this?

Aside from the suspension I can't see it.

Let's take a look at the chassis:

Nope...

I Think a much more compelling case would be the new 4tec VS the Vaterra V100s:

There's something worth suing over!
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 7.30.17, 7:28 am Post #26: | Reply With Quote
Norco kid said
Wait you think this:

Looks like this?

Aside from the suspension I can't see it.

Let's take a look at the chassis:

Nope...

I Think a much more compelling case would be the new 4tec VS the Vaterra V100s:

There's something worth suing over!
Problem is it's the suspension design.

I've got both the V100 and the 4Tec. Its almost easier to see the design difference in those pictures then in person.
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 7.30.17, 12:34 pm Post #27: | Reply With Quote
It's not so much that the Nero *looks* the same, it's that the Nero *works* the same. Take off the little integrated-rollcage-thing on the top of the Nero chassis, and then compare the design and layout of the moving parts.

As for the design of the 4-Tec 2.0: It has the same basic layout as every 1:10 touring car, which have been in existence for long enough that any original patents would've expired by now. Also, neither Traxxas nor Vaterra originated that design, so they wouldn't be able to sue anyway.
"Experienced user"
Thumper01 - 7.30.17, 1:06 pm Post #28: | Reply With Quote
Traxxas didn't originate the Revo style suspension design either. Tamiya was using horizontally mounted, lever activated suspensions for nearly 2 decades before the Revo was introduced.
"Experienced user"
chopsueykapow - 7.30.17, 4:30 pm Post #29: | Reply With Quote
Did you bother to read the complaint or did you just scroll down to look at the pictures? There are six assertions of infringement in the complaint not just the one you are harping on.

I'd venture to say that Traxxas is one of the few companies left that actually designs and innovates new products. Other companies, See: Hobbico(Including Arrma and Axial), Horizon(ECX, Vaterra) buy their designs from rip off Chinese manufactures. This is why Hobbico barely holds any RC IP. They don't design...They don't innovate.

Also, if Traxxas does not defend their IP claim then they lose the IP. This is the way IP work.

Make no mistake, Hobbico/Arrma are not the "little guys" and they compete against the same hobby shop they distribute to but turn around and sell the same product dirt cheap on Tower Hobbies.

I get it... you like Arrma but let's call this what it is... Two large RC companies going at it in court. Nothing unusual.
"Experienced user"
nickandluke - 7.30.17, 4:43 pm Post #30: | Reply With Quote
So what about hybrid cars. Toyota did it first. Im not sure who did but everyone is making the hybrids. So sue them too. I mean lots of engineering went into that. And im sure other companies looked at and said. We can make that too.

I think the patent policy needs changing in RC world. I think it makes it better for the hobby and more popular having lots of trucks with the same stuff but still different