Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 7.30.17, 5:52 pm Post #31: | Reply With Quote
Most hybrids currently available today license the design of Toyota's hybrid system or just buy pre-assembled drivetrains from Toyota.
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.
"Experienced user"
Thumper01 - 7.30.17, 6:36 pm Post #32: | Reply With Quote
The point I'm trying to make is that it is just so petty on Traxxas' part. Why waste the time and money in court over such nonsense. Our hobby isn't exactly growing by leaps and bounds, and stuff like this just hurts RC as a whole. I have a ton of Traxxas products mixed throughout my collection. I'm NOT anti-Traxxas. I am however, anti-ridiculousness. And that's how I see this claim: ridiculous petty-ness.
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 7.30.17, 7:50 pm Post #33: | Reply With Quote
Thumper01 said
The point I'm trying to make is that it is just so petty on Traxxas' part. Why waste the time and money in court over such nonsense. Our hobby isn't exactly growing by leaps and bounds, and stuff like this just hurts RC as a whole. I have a ton of Traxxas products mixed throughout my collection. I'm NOT anti-Traxxas. I am however, anti-ridiculousness. And that's how I see this claim: ridiculous petty-ness.
Depends on what one considers petty. Let's say they sold 5,000 of the Nero based vehicles over past year. At $600 each that's 3 million in sales. We not talking about a small, garage based company, Hobbico is a multimillion dollar company.

Well most will never know of this. Just as most never knew of the 2 million dollar judgment against Hpi for copying the " waterproof receiver box".

I don't see it having any effect on the growth, or lack of growth, in the hobby.
"Experienced user"
nickandluke - 7.30.17, 8:21 pm Post #34: | Reply With Quote
I got a great idea for a RC truck. But wait. Have our lawyers talk to traxxas lawyers first. Ding ding ding hello. Maybe traxxas is the problem. Trying to dictate the rc industry.
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 7.30.17, 8:40 pm Post #35: | Reply With Quote
nickandluke said
I got a great idea for a RC truck. But wait. Have our lawyers talk to traxxas lawyers first. Ding ding ding hello. Maybe traxxas is the problem. Trying to dictate the rc industry.
Every major company has a legal department. Design patents aren't hard to find. Especially if a company is already in the RC industry. If no one at Hobbico even raised a flag to question if there could be a possible issue. Then someone dropped the ball

Even the Vatican had the position of " Devils advocate ". Though that position has been changed. It's job was to point out the bad of possible " saints ".
"Welcome to you're "doom!""
Dave_S - 7.30.17, 8:51 pm Post #36: | Reply With Quote
For Norco or active anyone trying to debate with fyrtstormer, might as well save your fingers. You say the sky's blue, he says it's every color but blue. (I'm not saying he's wrong, but might as well save the calories burnt from typing)

What really puzzles me about the lawsuit is the dromida quad stuff. I read Traxxas patent in question, a bit. Seems over the top, but so is a lot of stuff Traxxas does. And for that part, many other companies.

I'm honestly surprised all the 1/8 manufacturers aren't suing each other yet.
I don't post much, but when i do i prefer Dos Eques.
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 7.30.17, 9:04 pm Post #37: | Reply With Quote
Dave_S said
For Norco or active anyone trying to debate with fyrtstormer, might as well save your fingers. You say the sky's blue, he says it's every color but blue. (I'm not saying he's wrong, but might as well save the calories burnt from typing)

What really puzzles me about the lawsuit is the dromida quad stuff. I read Traxxas patent in question, a bit. Seems over the top, but so is a lot of stuff Traxxas does. And for that part, many other companies.

I'm honestly surprised all the 1/8 manufacturers aren't suing each other yet.
Haha. Light refraction though atmosphere, reflection of the oceans. Sky is.., Yes I've been called a " Killjoy" before.

The 1/8 buggys are all similar due to fitting into race class requirements. Same with touring cars. Could line up a dozen TC, and most wouldn't be able to tell a XRay from Associated, Serpent, Team C, Sakura and so on.

I saw the Dromida part of lawsuit. Didn't read much of it. As I'm just getting into that part of hobby.
(Last edited by Billy Kelly : 7.30.17 at 9:07 pm)
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 7.31.17, 1:15 am Post #38: | Reply With Quote
It's not too surprising that Traxxas is scraping up as many complaints as they can and bundling them all into one. It makes the case look more intimidating and is more likely to result in a settlement, or if it does go to trial they're more likely to get at least one complaint to stick if they have a bunch to start with. That matters because the only reason to file a lawsuit is also the only reason to start a war -- because you're confident you can score enough loot to cover your expenses and have some profit left over.
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.
"Regular user"
onedoesnotrc - 7.31.17, 1:38 am Post #39: | Reply With Quote
'Patent a suspension style'.
Bravo Traxxas! *slow clap*
I'm just a guy who likes all kinds of RC vehicles
"Experienced user"
thorwil - 7.31.17, 2:16 am Post #40: | Reply With Quote
chopsueykapow said
I'd venture to say that Traxxas is one of the few companies left that actually designs and innovates new products. Other companies, See: Hobbico(Including Arrma and Axial), Horizon(ECX, Vaterra) buy their designs from rip off Chinese manufactures. This is why Hobbico barely holds any RC IP. They don't design...They don't innovate.
I'm rather sure that Axial, Arrma, ECX, Vaterra and also Associated, Kyosho, Losi, Mugen, Serpent, SWorkz, Tamiya do their own design. The buying designs from chinese or taiwanese OEMs is what you see in the low(ish) cost range of LRP and Graupner or the many names HSP cars appear under.

Also, if Traxxas does not defend their IP claim then they lose the IP. This is the way IP work.
IP law includes patents and trademarks, among others. A trademark might be lost, if not used and defended. Not so with a patent. A utlity patent holds for up to 20 years (14 for a design patent), as long as the yearly fees are paid. Unless it is invalidated via federal court or after re-examination by the patent and trademark office.

To understand what this is actually about (aside of business strategy), one would have to find out what is covered by the patents and how Traxxas argues they are being infringed on. Unfortunately, that requires making sense of the patent claims, as the titles, abstracts and even the drawings have no to little legal weight, ... which make my eyes glaze over rather quickly.

Better source for that litigation document.

The patents and which claims Traxxas sees infringed (in each case "at least"):No sensible hits for patent D567,886 S. This is a design patent on the "ornamental" design of the coil springs and shocks, mounted (near) horizontally, side by side. This is about the Arrma Nero, of course.
(Last edited by thorwil : 7.31.17 at 3:28 am)