Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Vacationing User"
iluvmud - 8.07.17, 1:25 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
So I had a member reach out to me asking if I would be interested in picking up his old Street Sport....... and although I have moved on from Traxxas Ive always wanted a SS after reading Jang's stuff back in the day. So..... now I have one

My plan is to make it a much better car, I think Jang said it was a basic car, but I think it is a really interesting take on how the car is designed using the single gear drive like a Tamiya Group-C car or any onroad pan car which means itll be obnoxiously fast, and that's my plan.

This guy I picked it up from seemed to have liked the car as well and also must have seen Jang's car as some of the mods where already done and while not as neatly done as I would have the parts needed are there which is a huge bonus for me.

Car as it arrived....

The car now.....
In pieces in a box
Ive found some NOS parts and have them on order and will start snapping pics showing progress...

One main thing I think I want to try....... CF chassis.. Will need to see if I can score an old Traxxas SRT batter box though or maybe cut out the one from the current chassis... we shall see.

This will be slow going as I have a lot of Tamiya projects going on as well... but thought it would be cool to post this up since it's a car not many people like/have.

MUD
17 Tamiyas 2 other cars...I have problems.

TheJANG said
I Luv Mud......
"Regular user"
onedoesnotrc - 8.07.17, 6:51 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
are those foam tires? wow the chassis looks very simple.
I'm just a guy who likes all kinds of RC vehicles
"Vacationing User"
iluvmud - 8.07.17, 7:52 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
onedoesnotrc said
are those foam tires? wow the chassis looks very simple.
Yes theyre foam, not original at all.. and it is kinda simple, but in comparison to a pan chassis it looks pretty advanced as it has way more suspension travel

TheJANG said
I Luv Mud......
"Experienced user"
jmauld - 8.07.17, 8:54 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Hope you enjoy it! The thing was ridiculously fast with a mamba system in it. There was no way I could go full throttle with it.

My first suggestion would be to get rid of the rear camber. I did that thinking it would handle turns better, but ultimately it took away too much rear grip, meaning you couldn't apply throttle or brakes without losing control.

I can't remember the mods that I did, but I think I switched to 4tec arms, and some odd combination of parts to use hex wheels in the front,

A full carbon fiber chassis should be pretty simple, with that design. Would also be a good opportunity to upgrade the front steering to a bellcrank.
"Vacationing User"
iluvmud - 8.07.17, 9:18 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
jmauld said
Hope you enjoy it! The thing was ridiculously fast with a mamba system in it. There was no way I could go full throttle with it.

My first suggestion would be to get rid of the rear camber. I did that thinking it would handle turns better, but ultimately it took away too much rear grip, meaning you couldn't apply throttle or brakes without losing control.

I can't remember the mods that I did, but I think I switched to 4tec arms, and some odd combination of parts to use hex wheels in the front,

A full carbon fiber chassis should be pretty simple, with that design. Would also be a good opportunity to upgrade the front steering to a bellcrank.
HAH glad to see youre still around!!!

And from what I can tell the 4tech arms, and right on the front end pieces too.... Im guessing theyre from the old rustler era where they used the 5X8 bearings... I'll have to find a set.

Since you're on, I found a new gearbox, chassis and front bulkhead. Im looking into prices of 2.5mm CF sheets to make a chassis and new upper brace, possibly change the shock position as Jang did on his.

What would be the benefit of using a belcrank system?

Fun build and Im really excited to see it finished................ eventually!

If you remember the parts that you used on the front, hit me up cause I plan to replace them too.

scratch that.... think I just found them!!!

Pics will come soon!
(Last edited by iluvmud : 8.07.17 at 9:22 pm)

TheJANG said
I Luv Mud......
"Regular user"
onedoesnotrc - 8.07.17, 9:22 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
huge difference between this and the 4-tec.
I'm just a guy who likes all kinds of RC vehicles
"Vacationing User"
iluvmud - 8.07.17, 9:24 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
onedoesnotrc said
huge difference between this and the 4-tec.
2WD, driven by a single spur, similar to a pan chassis so its basically direct drive but with an IMO nice 4W independent suspension.

light weight and direct drive = watch out!!

TheJANG said
I Luv Mud......
"Experienced user"
jmauld - 8.07.17, 9:32 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
I think the transmission bolt pattern is awfully close to the rustler bolt pattern.

You may be able to find a carbon fiber chassis for the rustler and just trim it to fit the dimensions of the SS.

The bellcrank system is more precise and allows for the wheels to turn at a closer rate. You'll notice that with the stock steering the inside wheel turns a lot more than the outside wheel while you're steering.

With that car being so lightweight, you could easily run one of the shorty lipo packs and free up a lot of space on the chassis. As well as being able to adjust the balance.
"Vacationing User"
iluvmud - 8.07.17, 9:37 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
jmauld said
I think the transmission bolt pattern is awfully close to the rustler bolt pattern.

You may be able to find a carbon fiber chassis for the rustler and just trim it to fit the dimensions of the SS.

The bellcrank system is more precise and allows for the wheels to turn at a closer rate. You'll notice that with the stock steering the inside wheel turns a lot more than the outside wheel while you're steering.

With that car being so lightweight, you could easily run one of the shorty lips packs and free up a lot of space on the chassis. As well as being able to adjust the balance.
Thought about it, the rear should line up but the front bulkheads are different

Im sure I can cut a chassis for this and its only 45$ for a sheet of CF that I am looking at that should cover a chassis, front brace and shock towers...

TheJANG said
I Luv Mud......
"Experienced user"
jmauld - 8.07.17, 9:44 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
i think the rustler chassis is longer too.

Here are some battery cups that I've used on a flat chassis before, they're really light weight, and easy to trim if needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-Associa...AAAOSwdzVXiVoH