Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Utrak - 5.19.17, 12:43 pm Post #31: | Reply With Quote
While my Pro Boat river jet has been sitting broken and useless, awaiting parts, I've had my Thrasher out a number of times, both in the rapids and in a large, nearby lake. Still doing great, no complaints whatsoever. It's also really fun on a lake when there are waves.
"Experienced user"
Backyard RC - 5.19.17, 5:42 pm Post #32: | Reply With Quote
Good info! Thanks Utrak.
Tekno SCT 410.3, Arrma Kraton, Traxxas Slash 4x4, Tacon/LC Racing Rally/SCT/MT x3, Losi Mini 8ight, Carisma M10DB, Axial AX10 Deadbolt, Vaterra Ascender '72 Bronco, Thunder Tiger Kaiser XS, Sky RC SR5 Super Rider
"Experienced user"
Jay-Em - 5.20.17, 3:02 am Post #33: | Reply With Quote
It's... Not very pretty. I dare even call it ugly. But apparently it works like a charm. The fact that this rather stubby contraption works very good, could also explain why my Kehrer Wave Chopper works better than any jetboat I ever tried.

It's álso fairly wide and stubby and, indeed, goes where one points it, instead of incessant spinning-out on the slightest bit of over steering. It also runs fine in high wave and windspeed weather.
The wide, stubby PBR also works fine in rougher conditions, hard to get it to spin-out. It can be done, but it doesn't seem as twitchy as the riverjet in Your vids.

It seems -as I already thought- that the long, slender build of the Proboat prefers scale-like waves and wind conditions.
"Basically, they're still toys.."
"Experienced user"
Utrak - 5.20.17, 11:55 am Post #34: | Reply With Quote
Indeed! The Thrasher is kind of ugly when you see it up close, but it looks great doing its thing in the water. Definitely a design where handling and durability came first, and cosmetics were not really a priority. It's just so enjoyable to prepare and drive, because everything is so easy. Battery installation? Easy. Defeating very rough water? Easy. Righting it when overturned? Easy (you do nothing).
It's an example of a design where all the blood, sweat and tears were shed in the design phase to make everything right, leaving just smooth sailing for the end user. I like that, and definitely not something you see very often in RC vehicles.
"Beat It Like It Owes You Money"
jumpit - 6.16.17, 8:19 am Post #35: | Reply With Quote
Utrak said
Indeed! The Thrasher is kind of ugly when you see it up close, but it looks great doing its thing in the water. Definitely a design where handling and durability came first, and cosmetics were not really a priority. It's just so enjoyable to prepare and drive, because everything is so easy. Battery installation? Easy. Defeating very rough water? Easy. Righting it when overturned? Easy (you do nothing).
It's an example of a design where all the blood, sweat and tears were shed in the design phase to make everything right, leaving just smooth sailing for the end user. I like that, and definitely not something you see very often in RC vehicles.
Utrak, any parts failures or issues with the Thrasher yet, I am looking into getting one in a month or two, just curious if their are any spares you would suggest purchasing with it, should I run 6s? 5s? or 4s? I have loads of creeks streams, rivers, lakes and ponds in my area and am really excited about the Thrasher...

One of the places I plan on running is in a park that is in a lot of my videos during the winter months it gets a lot of run off water which channels thru the middle of the park so basically its water over grass, guess I would be worried about grass getting into jet intake, have you had much issues with debris getting in with your's?....
Jump_it
Check out my youtube channel ------>>>jammer2150 <<<-----
"Experienced user"
Utrak - 6.17.17, 3:45 pm Post #36: | Reply With Quote
No issues or parts failures, zero maintenance yet. As far as I can tell, don't bother with keeping spares handy, the thing is a floating tank. Only problem I had was I had to swap two motor wires because the motor was running backwards out of the box.

I've only run 5s and 4s, both are great. I've yet to get my hands on a 6s pack of the proper size, the 6s 5000mAh graphene pack I have is too fat.

I've had the impeller get clogged with water weeds a couple times, fortunately the impeller is within easy reach with a thin tool from the intake, so you can pick out the weeds without disassembly.

So yeah, still highly recommended, go for it. It is certainly a far, FAAAAR better boat than the Pro Boat river jet.
"Beat It Like It Owes You Money"
jumpit - 6.17.17, 6:09 pm Post #37: | Reply With Quote
Utrak said
No issues or parts failures, zero maintenance yet. As far as I can tell, don't bother with keeping spares handy, the thing is a floating tank. Only problem I had was I had to swap two motor wires because the motor was running backwards out of the box.

I've only run 5s and 4s, both are great. I've yet to get my hands on a 6s pack of the proper size, the 6s 5000mAh graphene pack I have is too fat.

I've had the impeller get clogged with water weeds a couple times, fortunately the impeller is within easy reach with a thin tool from the intake, so you can pick out the weeds without disassembly.

So yeah, still highly recommended, go for it. It is certainly a far, FAAAAR better boat than the Pro Boat river jet.
Cool, sounds like this thing is designed and engineered right, really excited to get me mittens on it, like I said I have loads of places to run it, and even more when the rainy season hits, I cant wait.
Jump_it
Check out my youtube channel ------>>>jammer2150 <<<-----
"Experienced user"
KristofferR - 6.18.17, 10:30 pm Post #38: | Reply With Quote
This boat really sticks in my mind. There is something about it and reading this thread put the finger on it; engineering, durability, unusual looks etc.

The guys behind deserve success and hopefully they can find a EU distribution channel in the future. If you Trasher guys are reading this - try a few of the biggest online shops in EU, ship a batch of 50 boats and see how it goes. Lindinger in Austria would be my first choice.
Edgery on Soundcloud
2x Traxxas 1/16 MERV, 2x p4de VXL