Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"In the mirror you'll see a dog"
Rodarbal - 6.20.17, 9:24 am Post #141: | Reply With Quote
I think Bill and I had a lot more fun during our parking lot racing days. The Hobbytown that sponsored it was a lot closer to our houses, LOL. He's completely out of on-road now. He went from racing Drift Kings to buying one of our club's hot shoe's Awesomatix and he was plenty fast with it, but there are a number of reasons why he bolted. One of them is that we're having so much fun racing off-road. Haha! He may come back to on-road if people actually start racing the 4Tec Spec class. A lot of no-shows so far.

I'm on the fence about on-road, too, to be honest. They switched the 1/12 class to 13.5T from 17.5 without much notice. I wasn't too thrilled considering I just bolted in a new Team Powers Actinium V2 motor. Now they're thinking about making it a 2S class with 25.5 motors. For me it's difficult to concentrate on a class if they keep dicking with the rules. Hard on the wallet, too.

Slash soccer sounds like a blast! Our local HT is trying to revive their parking lot program, but they no longer have a timing loop (it was stolen a couple years ago and was never replaced). Their approach is similar to yours, though. They have several loaner cars for bystanders to try out.
RJ Labrador
On Road: Tamiya & XRay
Off Road 1/10: Losi & XRay
Off Road 1/8: Mugen
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 6.20.17, 9:19 pm Post #142: | Reply With Quote
Rodarbal said
The chances of someone who doesn't race regularly actually "dominating" in a club race with regulars who are competitive are slim to none. LOL. I understand competition doesn't appeal to you, but for others it's the challenge of honing one's skill in driving and tuning to get faster that keeps them coming back, not to mention the comradeship of the fellow competitors.
You must know better people than I do. The competitive types I tend to encounter are friendly as long as they're winning; present a serious challenge and they start fighting dirty. Based on my personal observations as well as the professional opinions of various psychologists I've talked to over the years, this is because competitiveness is usually a way to compensate for insecurity.
(Last edited by fyrstormer : 6.20.17 at 9:27 pm)
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.
"In the mirror you'll see a dog"
Rodarbal - 6.20.17, 10:51 pm Post #143: | Reply With Quote
Think what you will of competitive racers and I understand to a point as I do see insecurities in certain individuals (I'm quietly chuckling to myself as I think of a few). But that doesn't necessarily mean they're bad people to race against or even be friends with. I'm far from introverted so I get along with most makes and models of humans. LOL. And if things get ugly (which is a rarity) our race directors are pretty darn good about putting them in their place. Having an RD that will take a stand is always a plus. Regardless, my son and I still love racing and we have plenty of good friends who enjoy it as well. He learned a long time ago to dismiss the d-bag throwing the tantrum, or raging as he likes to put it, and get on with the race day. In the pits we all help each other out and it's a healthy, fun environment. I've been to a number of different venues in several states and can't say I've been in one that's been truly hostile. That would really suck.

I'm pretty happy for BK. Sounds like he's got a young club that he can grow with. I will warn you, Billy. You'll be tempted to try a LOT of different classes because you're interested in a lot of different types of cars. If you can, focus on only a couple classes at a time. Bill DeLong and I used to run a ton of different classes and things would get hectic pretty quickly. Race, marshal, race, marshal... then if one of your cars breaks you get screwed because you don't have time to work on it in between qualifiers.
RJ Labrador
On Road: Tamiya & XRay
Off Road 1/10: Losi & XRay
Off Road 1/8: Mugen
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 6.20.17, 11:13 pm Post #144: | Reply With Quote
Rodarbal said
Think what you will of competitive racers and I understand to a point as I do see insecurities in certain individuals (I'm quietly chuckling to myself as I think of a few). But that doesn't necessarily mean they're bad people to race against or even be friends with. I'm far from introverted so I get along with most makes and models of humans. LOL. And if things get ugly (which is a rarity) our race directors are pretty darn good about putting them in their place. Having an RD that will take a stand is always a plus. Regardless, my son and I still love racing and we have plenty of good friends who enjoy it as well. He learned a long time ago to dismiss the d-bag throwing the tantrum, or raging as he likes to put it, and get on with the race day. In the pits we all help each other out and it's a healthy, fun environment. I've been to a number of different venues in several states and can't say I've been in one that's been truly hostile. That would really suck.

I'm pretty happy for BK. Sounds like he's got a young club that he can grow with. I will warn you, Billy. You'll be tempted to try a LOT of different classes because you're interested in a lot of different types of cars. If you can, focus on only a couple classes at a time. Bill DeLong and I used to run a ton of different classes and things would get hectic pretty quickly. Race, marshal, race, marshal... then if one of your cars breaks you get screwed because you don't have time to work on it in between qualifiers.
We only have 2 classes. With possibility of adding VTA if enuff show up. Currently the space we use isn't big enuff to run anything more. There is a possible chance store owner could get use of the building next door during winter.

There are a few drivers racing with us on Saturday's, then another track on Sunday. One driver runs 3 tracks each weekend. I'd like to get up to the new place, I can't imagine what running on carpet is like. But don't see it happening anytime soon
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - Yesterday, 3:01 am Post #145: | Reply With Quote
Joining a young club does sound nice. I've never gotten in on the ground-floor of anything except my engineering program, and that wasn't exactly a social club -- more of an antisocial club, if you know what I mean.
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - Yesterday, 4:23 am Post #146: | Reply With Quote
fyrstormer said
Joining a young club does sound nice. I've never gotten in on the ground-floor of anything except my engineering program, and that wasn't exactly a social club -- more of an antisocial club, if you know what I mean.
I've never been a joiner either. Last group was in was freshman basketball. And I wasn't really friends with teammates. More just classmates.

The Sindwinderz guys have being runnng races for think almost 20 years. Mostly MiniZ think they said it was years since they ran a 1/10 program.

If I had really known that only 2 of us would be new to F1, supposed to have been 4-5. Nit 100 percent sure I would have. It was right choice now after running.
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - Yesterday, 4:30 am Post #147: | Reply With Quote
Rodarbal said
The chances of someone who doesn't race regularly actually "dominating" in a club race with regulars who are competitive are slim to none. LOL. I understand competition doesn't appeal to you, but for others it's the challenge of honing one's skill in driving and tuning to get faster that keeps them coming back, not to mention the comradeship of the fellow competitors.
I'm mostly racing my previous times then the group. But getting closer in USGT. Think now I've got good chance of getting within a lap or 2, maybe even on same lap at finish. That would be a big jump.

Not sure where target is for F1 this year. There were supposed to be 4-5 of us new guys. The one thing we don't have is the ability to really practice. Saturday's 1st I basically parked my car, plugged battery in and we were running.
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - Yesterday, 10:38 pm Post #148: | Reply With Quote
Oh, I've tried joining established groups for various interests, but I always end up feeling like the odd man out. The inner circle solidifies really fast, and the group dynamic gets set and doesn't have any flexibility to accommodate new personalities. It's the tribal nature of human psychology, unfortunately.
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - Yesterday, 10:38 pm Post #149: | Reply With Quote
So how's the car coming along?
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - Today, 3:22 am Post #150: | Reply With Quote
fyrstormer said
So how's the car coming along?
Still trying to get steering centered. I've got to pull the turnbuckles a start over, this time actually measure them to the book setttings. Now have the tool to measure them. I did ordered a pinion for it, should be in today or tomorrow.
I'm planning to get some practice laps in with it at Saturday's race.