Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Chainsaw10 - 5.19.17, 12:59 pm Post #51: | Reply With Quote
This new motor is very powerful and smooth. It's just too frigggin hot out to bash hard with huge tires. This motor will see lots of use , just not during summertime with ginormous heavy tires.
I've got Hobbypartz Fangs on now that I'm gonna no to run with the new motor later today.

I'm hoping the tp motor will allow me to run how I want.
MT4-g3, Wraith
Summit , HPI Apache SC
Vorza truggy, Tekno MT410
D8T-e, Tekno sct410.3
"Stunt Man"
Dr_T - 5.20.17, 5:12 am Post #52: | Reply With Quote
What TP motor are you going to try?

I've been running a cheap 1700kv Racerstar motor on 6S in my MT410, but I'm not completely happy with it either; getting hot and tends to cog at low RPM / high load with big Louise RC MT tires (could also be my Xerun 150 is slowly dying on me). Thinking of switching to ~1400-1500kv TP motor.
2S is for servos, 4S is for minis.
"Experienced user"
Chainsaw10 - 5.20.17, 5:39 am Post #53: | Reply With Quote
I'm trying the 4260 model 1650kv sensorless. But I'm thinking maybe I should've ordered something with even lower kv like you're thinking.
Can't believe You're running 6s on an MT410 with those giant Louise tires!! That's really gotta get hot quick!
How is that cheap motor on 4s on a hot day?
MT4-g3, Wraith
Summit , HPI Apache SC
D8T-e, Tekno sct410.3
"Experienced user"
vintage - 5.20.17, 5:51 am Post #54: | Reply With Quote
Chainsaw10 said
I'm trying the 4260 model 1650kv sensorless. But I'm thinking maybe I should've ordered something with even lower kv like you're thinking.
Can't believe You're running 6s on an MT410 with those giant Louise tires!! That's really gotta get hot quick!
How is that cheap motor on 4s on a hot day?
I'm regretting not recommending the lower kV 4260 as well with those results on 1700kV, but the 4260 is a large motor (with tppower, the 60 references the length of the rotor instead of the can) so I won't be surprised if it's fine with a 14t pinion. I would also not be surprised if tppower let you exchange it for the lower kV.
"Experienced user"
Chainsaw10 - 5.20.17, 5:59 am Post #55: | Reply With Quote
No regrets Vintage, thanks for the help. These motors will all see plenty of use in cooler seasons for sure, even if they don't work out for summer. If the 1650 gets real hot I'll probably try a lower KV
MT4-g3, Wraith
Summit , HPI Apache SC
D8T-e, Tekno sct410.3
"Experienced user"
Chainsaw10 - 5.20.17, 5:15 pm Post #56: | Reply With Quote
I just got done bashing with the hobbystar motor, 4s and fangs tires. I bashed nonstop for over 20 minutes as hard as I could run the truck. ...non stop, hard braking, stop and go, long wheelies and self righting after flipping. After all this the motor was only 144 degrees.
It's 62 degrees outside and very low humidity. ...very different temps/humidity compared to yesterday. I can't believe the motor stayed that cool after running it like a crazy person as I did.

Yesterday was ridiculously hot and humid....I think this motor will handle big tires just fine on days with reasonable temps/humidity
MT4-g3, Wraith
Summit , HPI Apache SC
D8T-e, Tekno sct410.3
"Experienced user"
RCJuice - Yesterday, 7:29 am Post #57: | Reply With Quote
And that is the beauty of a quality motor and somebody that knows how to set it up properly and monitor temps. It's refreshing to see threads where people get that you can't run 6S on whatever motor is in your truck, never check a temp and expect it to go well. The whole KV/Voltage/Temp issue is by and large the number one topic that we do our very best to educate new guys in the hobby on, at the end of the day well over 90% of all failures we see in electronics is attributed to overheating. A properly geared brushless setup can last through many years and vehicles if temps are kept in check.
"Stunt Man"
Dr_T - Yesterday, 10:10 am Post #58: | Reply With Quote
Ah, TP4260, cool! Yeah, that's 4292 size and not really comparable to my 4076 Racerstar motor, so I wouldn't worry it's too high kv, especially on 4S. You gonna put the ESC sideways or put it on the Rx position to accommodate the longer motor?

I haven't tried the 1700kv 4076 Racerstar on 4S, I only have 6-8S packs for this scale; I used a Losi spur / center diff to get 13/45 gearing, but with the massive Louise RC MT tires, that's still geared for ~50mph no-load, and the tires are over a pound each, so asking for trouble with small cheap motors.

I was looking at the TP4050/TP4250, as that might still fit without moving ESC, but I'm interested to see how you like your TP4260; might be a better motor for me too, as I never had that much luck with anything smaller than TP4070 .
2S is for servos, 4S is for minis.
"Experienced user"
Chainsaw10 - Today, 4:49 am Post #59: | Reply With Quote
I'm not sure what I'll do with the esc. I may even make an angle aluminum mount that bolts to the side of the tower brace I installed. I'll fiddle with it and figure something out when I Get the motor.
I haven't got shipment notification on the motor yet so I'm not sure when it's coming.
MT4-g3, Wraith
Summit , HPI Apache SC
D8T-e, Tekno sct410.3