Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 3.20.17, 12:08 pm Post #31: | Reply With Quote
FuriousFlip said
A duplex outlet receptacle for your home has a finite number of mating cycles before they are worn--similar to any other connector. Look at older houses from the '50s and '60s and you can see that on some, the outlets are so loose that there is some visible black marks from arcing between the plug and the outlet. Something that is subject to vibration, like a receptacle located on a ceiling joist for a garage door opener, and you won't have to look beyond units installed since the early 2000s before you see signs of wear--and those do not get plugged/unplugged all the time.
*sigh*

Yes, wall outlets do wear out, if you give them a few decades (which is much longer than any LiPo battery will last anyway). But they don't wear out so quickly that you need to replace them "every now and then", which I assume means about once a year. The fact of the matter is, Deans plugs just aren't that good compared to newer options.
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.
"Precision Basher"
fyrstormer - 3.20.17, 12:16 pm Post #32: | Reply With Quote
BillDeLong said
not sure I agree... the gold plating is what helps minimize IR... if you have too much corrosion, then the IR can drastically shoot up and consequently diminish efficiency in the form of excessive heat... it will eventually turn your ESC into a ticking time bomb where the excessive heat may cause the ESC to go up in flames.... this is more common with poor solder joints, but just can easily happen with poor connectivity on corroded connectors
The gold plating is not actually gold. Gold is not strong enough to withstand the kind of scrubbing that electrical plugs experience when repeatedly connected and disconnected. (well...maybe a very low-karat gold alloy, like 8K or lower, at which point the benefit of having gold in the alloy is purely cosmetic.) I don't know the exact composition of the coating, but I'm pretty sure the gold color comes from manganese, not actual gold -- or at least not enough actual gold to significantly improve electrical conductivity.

Once again, the parts of the plugs that actually scrub against each other when connected and disconnected will not develop a significant amount of tarnish, because the tarnish will be scrubbed off. Tarnish that isn't there can't contribute to electrical resistance -- however, dust and dirt certainly can, but that's easily fixed by wiping off the contacting surfaces with a Q-Tip soaked in your favorite cleaning agent. (I prefer Goof Off because it dissolves old oil on contact.)

If the connectors are actually corroded instead of tarnished, i.e. the surface has pits in it where so much metal has oxidized and fallen off that there are holes left behind, then yes you should replace the connectors. I've never personally seen RC power connectors that bad -- not least because the metal underneath the shiny gold-colored plating is almost always brass, and brass only corrodes like that in the presence of chlorine.
(Last edited by fyrstormer : 3.20.17 at 12:18 pm)
Check out "Fyrstormer's Garage" in the General RC forum.
"Experienced user"
iHasRc - 3.20.17, 12:35 pm Post #33: | Reply With Quote
It all comes down to level of quality IMO.

You buy a big bag of "Deans" from HobbyCity and guess what? they're made of cheap plastic instead of heat-resistant whatever the deans are, so they melt much easier if you aren't quick on the solder (happened to me before), the metal 'spring' is likely some lesser material and fatigues faster too.
I'm sure most problems people have with Deans is because they're using knockoffs, which have flooded the RC market now for everything. But not all of them are bad. The fake EC5's seem to be fine. I have yet to see the Castle connector knockoffs but i'm sure they're coming.

Considering (genuine) Deans are only rated something like 70amp, I think they perform spectacularly, but I don't use them any more because as many other folks agree they are much harder to solder than barrel-type connectors. you've gotta have the right iron, temp, tip, and technique. with barrel types, ANY soldering iron will work.
TEKNO MT410
AE RC8T3E / AE Rival / RC8.2E FT / RC8TE / DESC210 / SCT410 / Slash4x4 / RC18T2 / Wraith / Lunchbox
T-Rex 450 Pro / Nano-QX / PZ T-28 / Blade 130x
"Vacationing user"
agusorgen - 3.20.17, 12:53 pm Post #34: | Reply With Quote
iHasRc said
It all comes down to level of quality IMO.

You buy a big bag of "Deans" from HobbyCity and guess what? they're made of cheap plastic instead of heat-resistant whatever the deans are, so they melt much easier if you aren't quick on the solder (happened to me before), the metal 'spring' is likely some lesser material and fatigues faster too.
I'm sure most problems people have with Deans is because they're using knockoffs, which have flooded the RC market now for everything. But not all of them are bad. The fake EC5's seem to be fine. I have yet to see the Castle connector knockoffs but i'm sure they're coming.

Considering (genuine) Deans are only rated something like 70amp, I think they perform spectacularly, but I don't use them any more because as many other folks agree they are much harder to solder than barrel-type connectors. you've gotta have the right iron, temp, tip, and technique. with barrel types, ANY soldering iron will work.
Buuuut there is a neat little trick, you can plug it to the lother end (male or female) so it doesen't move.
"Experienced user"
KristofferR - 3.20.17, 1:01 pm Post #35: | Reply With Quote
Interesting with the various experiences. I went with a compromise.

I like the Multiplex M6 but they are expensive and takes effort to solder, plus they are really hard to pull apart on a cold slope.... the knockoffs have less good plastic but works fine.

I have used Molex enough in the past to never want to use them. Simple but wear out and get warm and they are uncomfortable to pull apart too.

The Deans did simply not come with anything I use and I find them hard to grip.

EC, never tried.

TRX are neat, easy to grip and require no shrink tube but then there is the ID and the normal version and to buy the genuine ones cost a lot.

XT60 is easy to grip, easy to solder, cheap, common and I want to avoid resoldering my LiPOs so I ended with XT60.

The ones I like the best are bullets and the Sermo (Anderson Power Pole).
(Last edited by KristofferR : 3.21.17 at 12:22 am) Reason: Spelling of Cermo/Sermo
Edgery on Soundcloud
2x Traxxas 1/16 MERV, 2x p4de VXL
"Experienced user"
slick2500 - 3.20.17, 2:30 pm Post #36: | Reply With Quote
I've heard good things about the Anderson power poles. Too bad the crimpers for them are really expensive.
Ecx 2wd Ruckus
Traxxas Stampede XL-5
Traxxas Summit 1/10
Team Associated Apex
"Experienced user"
Utrak - 3.20.17, 2:30 pm Post #37: | Reply With Quote
I've had some fake-deans-related meltdowns (male/female plugs that got welded together). I'm sure genuine deans are great - but so are trx plugs and easier to tell real from fake, so I switched to those across the board. These have been problem free.

Will switch to some kind of bullet connector when I can be bothered, because they are of course best.
"ae fanboy"
Kingy - 3.20.17, 3:15 pm Post #38: | Reply With Quote
KristofferR said
XT60 is easy to grip, easy to solder, cheap, common and I want to avoid resoldering my LiPOs so I ended with XT60.
Thats pretty much the exact reason why I chose xt60 for my crawlers. And to a degree the 4mm and 5.5mm bullet choices for my racers, bashers and drifters.
Associated [RC10B5M - RC10T4.1 FT - RC10B4.1 WORLD'S - RC10B44.2 - RC8T CE-E - RC8BE]
Durango [DESC210R] Ofna [NEXX10SC] Serpent [S411] RC4WD [Bully - Bully2]
Gmade [Sawback] Axial [Scx10 - Wraith - Yeti] Eagle Racing [TT-01 V.3] MST [FXX-D]
"Experienced user"
Stormer - 3.20.17, 10:30 pm Post #39: | Reply With Quote
Look at drone racing scene - even US based LiPo and electronics manufacturers switched to XT-60's. Current ratings on these plugs are close and both are sufficient for application, but deans just don't last long enough when you go through 10+ LiPo packs a day every other day.
Maybe it was mentioned before, but biggest issue for me is that if you use parallel board to charge packs with deans you need to put protective caps on unused connectors to prevent shortening.
Jammin X2-crt(BL), DESC210, Vaterra Ascender, CEN Colossus, Arrma Senton
"Experienced user"
KristofferR - 3.21.17, 12:40 am Post #40: | Reply With Quote
slick2500 said
I've heard good things about the Anderson power poles. Too bad the crimpers for them are really expensive.
This was mentioned on a Traxxas Slash facebook group. I soldered all of mine - there seems to be two versions of them.
Edgery on Soundcloud
2x Traxxas 1/16 MERV, 2x p4de VXL