Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Djee-M - 9.23.09, 9:53 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have a Slash 1/10 stock.

I curently use 8.4v 5000 mah nimh batteries for it, but I've been told that they may shorten the motor's life.

If I swithc to Hyperion 7.4v 5000mah 25c Lipo, will I loose/gain power on my truck?
Will the kind of power these lipo batteries offer damage my motor?

Sorry I'm a noob.

P.S. I know that I will need a low voltage cut-off device for a Lipo

Thank you
"I'm down, like 4 flat tires"
JTrowser - 9.24.09, 6:04 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Your main problem with running a lipo on that truck is that XL5 ESC does not have a low voltage cut-off. Which is a must when running lipo's. I say keep running the 8.4 and have fun till the motor goes bad. Those motors don't last forever no matter what size battery you run. Not to mention you can replace that motor for about $20 on ebay (shipped). Just my opinion.
Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old.
Jammin SCRT 10 w/Novak, Hyper 10TT w/ VXL, LCG \Backslash w/ VXL & Protrac, T4.1 Team Factory w/ VXL, 2wd Slash VXL, OFNA Ultra MBX Comp, Parkzone Night Vapor, Parkzone Sukhoi xp, E-flite 4-Site
"Experienced user"
1000rrstunna - 10.01.09, 11:54 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
i run a 8000 mah lipo in mine from maxxamps and ill tell you that ill never buy another nimh ever again.... its amazing and has as much punch as a 7 cell pack! dont worry about the lipo cutoff either i dont use one and i can tell when the battery is nearing 3.0 per cell. havent ruined anything yet and i love running it for 50 minutes at a time!
"Experienced user"
Djee-M - 10.02.09, 6:32 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Thank you for your advices.
"Portal 2: April 20"
slashmaster - 10.02.09, 11:22 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
1000rrstunna said
dont worry about the lipo cutoff either i dont use one and i can tell when the battery is nearing 3.0 per cell.

wow bad idea much? wait until it dies because you are being stupid. i mean you are gonna blow a really expensive battery. they are not much money (a LVC) GET ONE!!!
ntp said
In Taco Bell it's CICO or Crap In Crap Out.(Crappy Food equals Crappy Crapping)
"I'm down, like 4 flat tires"
JTrowser - 10.02.09, 11:46 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
WHAT!!!!! I can not agree with you more slashmaster!!!! There is a reason that they insist that a LVC is used. 1000rrstunna, you should not recommend that practice to anyone. That is simply "bad advice". Djee-M, you don't have to take our word for it, do some research on lithium polymer batteries and the do's and don'ts of them. You could also start a thread saying "I'm going to use a li-po battery without a LVC", and see how fast people will respond to you, telling you that is about the dumbest thing they have ever heard!!!
Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old.
Jammin SCRT 10 w/Novak, Hyper 10TT w/ VXL, LCG \Backslash w/ VXL & Protrac, T4.1 Team Factory w/ VXL, 2wd Slash VXL, OFNA Ultra MBX Comp, Parkzone Night Vapor, Parkzone Sukhoi xp, E-flite 4-Site
"Experienced user"
Djee-M - 10.02.09, 11:58 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
OOOKKKKK !!

Ihave aquired a Hyperion 5000mah 2S 25c batery and ordered a LVC.

I will do some races at a track nearby from time to time and for these occasions onlyI will not use the LVC as races only last 6 minutes and it only takes 45 to 55% of the batery. It gives me a good margin.
All other times I will use the LVC

I Appreciate yous hints guys
I will always in this case use a full charged batery anyway
"Portal 2: April 20"
slashmaster - 10.02.09, 7:51 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
JTrowser said
WHAT!!!!! I can not agree with you more slashmaster!!!! There is a reason that they insist that a LVC is used. 1000rrstunna, you should not recommend that practice to anyone. That is simply "bad advice". Djee-M, you don't have to take our word for it, do some research on lithium polymer batteries and the do's and don'ts of them. You could also start a thread saying "I'm going to use a li-po battery without a LVC", and see how fast people will respond to you, telling you that is about the dumbest thing they have ever heard!!!
I know like you are going to destroy an overpriced 8000 mah lipo because you can "tell" when it gets to the exact right level like what??? If ur gonna kill it give it to me!!!!!!
ntp said
In Taco Bell it's CICO or Crap In Crap Out.(Crappy Food equals Crappy Crapping)