Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
jeeplib02 - 10.25.09, 5:48 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I just got a stampede XL-5 fpr my birthday and have been doing a lot research on the forums reading about everything under the moon about this truck. But I am trying to deciede if I should go with a brush less system with a lipo battery or stay with the brush motors and go with a modified 15t motor with a 7cell 5000 hump pack. I want to gear low for torque and wheelies. I know that brush motors go out a lot and the brushes go bad. With the brush less I don't have this problem. Is there advantages to one or the other maintenance wise and durability? Remember I will gear low for bashing and keeping the motor cool. But do want to have enough power that if I did want to race I could but not to much power I cant control the truck in the back yard.

Any suggestions?
"Experienced user"
MajorPede - 10.26.09, 6:02 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
It will be lot simpler to get the brushless. 5700 KV or less, with lipo you will have wheelies on demand from half throttle. Other than a good dusting off, and oiling the bearings no maintenance will be needed.

Take it from someone who owns a Pede and have for over 3 years now. I have used 10t on up to 21t and Frankensteined alot of brushed motors in-between. 15t in a pede with seven cell NIMH is just going to run supper hot burn your brush's up supper fast and destroy the motors comm. IMO the best turn Brushed motors for a Pede is 17td and up, and if not geared correctly you will get heat issues out of the 17t.

Go brushless, I suggest MM, Sidewinder, or MMP. So you will be able to tune the brushless system to the application. You can save profiles that you like name them (Dirt, Street, Track, Bash) and with a click it will run to your liking for the situation. Go with the brushless you won't regret it.
Oldman
"Experienced user"
jeeplib02 - 10.26.09, 12:09 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help I have found a Castle Creations sidewinder 5700 KV combo for a good deal. Think I am going to stay with the 7 cell packs right now cause I have them and don't want to buy a new charger yet.
"carpet killer"
rag6 - 10.26.09, 7:49 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Make sure the nimh packs are quality packs.
"Experienced user"
jeeplib02 - 10.27.09, 9:49 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Are the traxxas series 4 7 cell stacked packs good?
wannaTRDsc - 10.27.09, 9:16 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
You will want to go with the Sidewinder with the 4700kv motor. The 5700 may present you with heat issues. Some people try to use the Castle programmability option as a reason to buy- I question how many people really do it. Personally, Id shop on eBay for the new WP Velineon system, and get some good 6-cell packs from Promatch. Dont forget the VXL bearing, carrier, linkage, and steer idler/diff gear case - if not on ours already. The Velineon runs very cool. Toss a fan on the esc, and a Traxxas Blast heat sink on it, and sometimes, it take a while to feel any warmth, and its the can soaking up your body temp. I just went BL on my Rustler, and in a week my Bandit. Both are Velineon, and I am having a ball. I only run Promatch 6 and 7-cells. Given customer service, my buddy has had a headache will all 3 of his systems from Castle - 2 sidewinder, and one MM. He cannot get Castle to call him back or return his e-mails. I have never had any problem with Traxxas customer service. There is whats on paper, then theres what you get. Stephen at Traxxas has always taken great care of me. The only elec problems I have had where a used 2050 servo, used XL-1 esc, and used TQ3 tx. All were replaced for the price of 1 repair - $15!. Ive had no XL-5 probs, and no problems in the last 2 years with any Titans, but then again I break them in, dont overheat them, let them cool down, or like some, just simply set out to destroy them.

On the brushed side, my friend has an Orion Method R 17T with an XL-5 in his Pede that he is very happy with.
"Experienced user"
jeeplib02 - 10.28.09, 3:01 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice. I am going to stay with the stock setup right now until the titan goes out. Then, I think I will try the Orion Method 17T before going brushless. At least this way I can say I tried more than one motor and have some experience with a couple different motor before making the leap. The Guy at my local hobby shop recommended that same motor to me.
wannaTRDsc - 10.28.09, 5:35 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
The thing is too, you can change the Orions timing, and replace brushes.
"Experienced user"
MajorPede - 10.28.09, 5:44 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
You can also change the timing on the Castle ESC's and forget about brushs. Or run a brushed motor on the Castle ESC's if you wan't, or need too.

If you do go the brush route get extra sets of brush's when you buy the motor. Playing with the timing will burn them up quick if not done correctly. I would not even touch the timing if your not racing, and need just a little more, or less with out having to change your gearing.
Oldman
"Experienced user"
Slash8 - 12.07.09, 2:59 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
i googled the orion method R 17T and all the pics show it without wires to hook up to the ESC. Is this just the way they took the pic without them on or would i have to solder them? I have the XL-5 ESC so will i have to change ESC's? thank you