Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
(URC Founder)
"..."
theJANG - 12.15.09, 4:25 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hi all,

Before this year comes to a close, I want to finally fulfill a desire I've had for years and put together a single true long-term runner vehicle. Here are the main attributes I will need this vehicle to fulfill:
  • Absolutely minimum maintenance
  • Waterproof or at least completely water-safe & hose-washable
  • Very terrain-capable for trail & backwoods running - 4WD only
  • 20-30mph top speed without a setup change
  • Able to handle small to medium jumps without getting out of shape
  • Reasonable scale-ish looks
  • Electric (duh)
  • Uses normal 1/10th scale sub-C sized battery packs
Vehicles on my list to consider include:
  • Traxxas Summit
  • Venom Creeper (because I have the kit)
  • Slash 4x4 (getting one no matter what, but not sure if it'll be the one to keep)
  • Axial AX10 (parts availability)
Any thoughts?

Please no suggestions of what you want to see me buy or what you'd want yourself. I'm looking for help for my decision Thanks.
(Last edited by theJANG : 12.15.09 at 7:51 pm)
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by many other fellow members. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
"Experienced user"
Razor_Racer - 12.15.09, 4:27 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Insert many rustler/pede/slash posts here

Summit looks very good... just pricey
"Experienced user"
loco_oso - 12.15.09, 4:39 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Summit sounds like the best bet to me . If not then the Venom.
"Hola Seņor"
mycrors4 - 12.15.09, 4:44 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
hmm well as a owner of a pre-xl1 rustler and it is still working very well will no internal changes and no shock oil changed, i think i would have to say a rustler, or you can always go w/ the slash 4x4 but ive never driven the 1/10th scale one so idk how durable it is, but RPM never fails at durability so id say
1st choice Rustler/Bandit/Stampede(im more towards the rustler)
2nd Slash 4x4
3rd Summit (because ive never seen anyone with one)
| Honchabalo | Insane Scale Crawler | W.I.P. |
| MST FXX-D | 1/10 Drift Machine | W.I.P. |
| M-04 | 1/10 Mini Basher | Done |
| MK6 Golf | Daily | W.I.P. |
(URC Founder)
"..."
theJANG - 12.15.09, 4:48 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Traxxas 2WDs are all but out of the question due to #3 on my list.
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by many other fellow members. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
"Hola Seņor"
mycrors4 - 12.15.09, 5:17 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
hmm in that case i say 4x4 slash or summit
my LHS is having a sale on the 2.4 rtr 4x4 slash
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/629222.asp
| Honchabalo | Insane Scale Crawler | W.I.P. |
| MST FXX-D | 1/10 Drift Machine | W.I.P. |
| M-04 | 1/10 Mini Basher | Done |
| MK6 Golf | Daily | W.I.P. |
"Experienced user"
P379XL - 12.15.09, 5:23 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
I'd have to side with the Summit or Slash for this one. In my experience solid axel trucks (stock, mind you) seem to get out of shape easy with a little speed.

The Slash 4x4 will be great if you want to use it at the track some. But I think the Summit will be more fun offroad with large tires, lockers, low range, etc. The Slash will probably have more tendency to get stuck simply because of its narrow tires and lower clearance.
"Brandon B."
stampede_dude - 12.15.09, 5:30 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Summit...P379XL is right, anything with a solid axle will be unstable at those speeds.
"I'm down, like 4 flat tires"
JTrowser - 12.15.09, 6:06 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
I would think a Summit will fit the bill better than the rest. Although it seems a little under powered. So if you know someone that can work on rc's, maybe you can have them put some more power in it for you.
Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old.
Jammin SCRT 10 w/Novak, Hyper 10TT w/ VXL, LCG \Backslash w/ VXL & Protrac, T4.1 Team Factory w/ VXL, 2wd Slash VXL, OFNA Ultra MBX Comp, Parkzone Night Vapor, Parkzone Sukhoi xp, E-flite 4-Site
(URC Founder)
"..."
theJANG - 12.15.09, 6:20 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
JTrowser said
I would think a Summit will fit the bill better than the rest. Although it seems a little under powered. So if you know someone that can work on rc's, maybe you can have them put some more power in it for you.
Maybe if I take it to a hobbie shop they can helps mee?

The Summit is definitely a very strong contender, it's just that the cost is a little up there and it definitely doesn't have a sufficiently scalish look for my tastes. I wish the wheelbase was longer, too.

I wonder if the Slash 4x4 will be able to accomodate larger wheels & tires. I like the single battery setup, ya know? I'm just not so confident in the driveshaft.
(Last edited by theJANG : 12.15.09 at 6:22 pm)