Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
autolockguy13 - 1.19.10, 8:39 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
hello everyone! i just got a redcat volcano sv for super cheap but i cant manage to get it to run. i am new to rc, but familiar with engines and how they should work, so my best guess is that its not getting fuel for some reason. if i put fuel in the carb it will start for just a second untill that fuel is gone, then shuts right down. i have tried to look at redcats website and others recomendations for general needle settings, but no go. i am also having trouble seeing/understanding where this 1mm opening is/should be in the idle setting. any recomendations for how many turns out on the idle? low speed is set at about 2 1/2 turns and high speed at around 1 turn for now. i am getting fuel to the carb, just not through it to the motor it seems. please help!
"Experienced user"
Messiah - 1.20.10, 2:26 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
1 turn on your high end is too lean, its so lean its choking your idle. Close the high and come out 3 turns, that will be rich but its a start to tune on, factory Redcat engines, (made by Vertex) dont have low end mixes, and your idle screw should be cranked in enough to give about a 1/32" opening in the carb barrel, just set the idle where its smooth but the clutch doesnt engage/truck doesnt roll away at idle.
Chicks dig welders because we know all about hot, deep penetration.
"Experienced user"
autolockguy13 - 1.20.10, 4:57 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
well i have both hsn and lsn. and of course the idle adjusting screw.
"Experienced user"
Messiah - 1.20.10, 5:45 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Generally lsn's are set to here the head is even/flush with the housing, try that, generally thats like 1 1/4 - 1 1/8 turns from closed, but carbs very.

Also, makes sure you change your glow plug once you get it running, being lean overheats them and being rich can fuel foul them, wouldnt be surprised if the one in there now isnt a bit bad by now.
Chicks dig welders because we know all about hot, deep penetration.