Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
(URC Founder)
"..."
theJANG - 1.19.10, 11:31 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote

(watch this on YouTube for more options)

Here's how you can custom-color your light-colored RC wheels and other parts using inexpensive Rit fabric dye!

Bonus: Attached are some photos of items I dyed back in 2003 using Sunshine Orange and a few drops of Scarlet, to show you how very bright colors are entirely reasonable with RIT dye. On the T4, I dyed the wheels, spring clips, rod ends, nylon nuts, and even the so-called "foam things."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 011.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	457.4 KB
ID:	17661  Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 030.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	17662  Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 006.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	17663  
(Last edited by theJANG : 1.20.10 at 12:36 am)
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by many other fellow members. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
"Don't you mean Wabaki?"
Benzo - 1.20.10, 12:07 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Wow great video Jang! I have only died rims once before, and I used the liquid form, as thats all I could find at the time. I wish I waited a little longer, because it cost about $13 Australian for the one bottle. Like you said, make sure the area around you is clear, and that you wear black clothing (I was tired and forgot that I had a white hoody on, now I got little black spots up my sleeves )

EDIT: One question, once you have mixed the dye with the boiling water and it has cooled down, can you store it in a jar for later use? or should you be disposing of it?
(Last edited by Benzo : 1.20.10 at 12:16 am)
(URC Founder)
"..."
theJANG - 1.20.10, 12:28 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Thanks! You definitely don't have to dispose of the stuff immediately, though you shouldn't keep it around for too long because microbes might start growing in it like with any water-based liquid. Imagine it's fruit juice or something It'll probably keep longer in the refrigerator.
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by many other fellow members. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
"Don't you mean Wabaki?"
Benzo - 1.20.10, 12:55 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Ahh I see, thanks for clearing that up.
"New user"
traxxas4fun - 1.21.10, 3:20 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
sweet! does it like leave a color stain in the pot? im wanting to do black, in aluminum pan
"disturb'in the peace"
Modding_out - 1.22.10, 12:03 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
traxxas4fun said
sweet! does it like leave a color stain in the pot? im wanting to do black, in aluminum pan

Don't use this stuff in a pot that you plan on cooking with at a later date.
~*~*~Your local Modder~*~*~
I specialize in metal fabrication.
To place an order for a custom masterpiece contact me at;
elliotrepko13@hotmail.com
"Vacationing user"
Rimmy - 1.22.10, 2:48 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
best way to save your pots and pans, is head to a garage sale or a flea market and pickup a nice decent sized pot for like $1 and use that. do not use your good cooking hardware to do this.
"That's what she said!"
RICKWALK80 - 1.22.10, 2:59 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Jang, on your rod ends and clips in the picture what color were they before you dyed them. Thanks.
"Experienced user"
thepaulness - 2.10.10, 4:29 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
what if the thing you where dying is already green and you want to dye it black
(URC Founder)
"..."
theJANG - 2.10.10, 5:12 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Yep, as I said in the video, literally any color can be dyed to black.