Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
drjgarage - 2.24.10, 9:47 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
What do I need to do to convert to ball bearings on my new stock Stampede?
What parts do I need?
"Experienced user"
runout_mick - 2.24.10, 9:55 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
If it's a new xl-5 it's as simple as prying off the hex hubs, removing the bushings, and putting 5x11x4 bearings in. Stampedes now come with 5x11 bushings, so conversion is easy. If it's a little older it'll have 5x8 bushings, and you'll have to upgrade the bearing carriers to 5x11s.

Nothing to it.
If it isn't broke, keep fixing it until it is.
"Vacationing User"
iluvmud - 2.24.10, 10:27 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
yeah its cake and the cool thing is now that traxxas makes the larger carriers if you actually need to buy them you can save a few buck by buying the traxxas ones and not the RPM ones(saved me 10bucks for a full set front and rears)
My Toyz:Losi 8-E, DaPede, Rustler, Mud Blaster, Midnight Pumpkin, Wild Willy1 &2
TheJANG said
And for that I am now officially a noob .
"Circa 2008; NorOR"
Cubic2.4 - 2.24.10, 10:29 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Did you just buy is brand new? If so it should already have bushings.

If not, it should have 5x11 carriers, so just purchased two 5x11 bearings for each corner (8 total). The old ones will plop out.
www.torquerctrailers.com
"Trust, but verify"
- Ronald Reagan
"Experienced user"
drjgarage - 2.25.10, 7:31 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
It is a new one. I want to put bearings in to help with battery life. Am i wrong in that thought? Do i have to change the carriers?
"Experienced user"
runout_mick - 2.25.10, 9:47 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
drjgarage said
It is a new one. I want to put bearings in to help with battery life. Am i wrong in that thought?
Nope. It's a good upgrade.

Do i have to change the carriers?
Likely not.

Look in your manual at the exploded view. If it lists 5x11 bushings, you're good to go and bearings will pop right in. If they are 5x8 you'll need carriers. Unless you got old stock, yours is probably the new 5x11 bushings.
(Last edited by runout_mick : 2.25.10 at 9:51 am)
If it isn't broke, keep fixing it until it is.
"Experienced user"
zenkifc3 - 2.25.10, 3:18 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
i just swapped over earlier this week, it is very easy and pretty straight forward... i noticed that mine gained performance pretty much all around, battery life was extended a little bit.... but my bushings were in pretty bad shape.... gains were noticeable for me but far from night and day... well worth the 10 dollar upgrade