Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
(URC Founder)
"..."
theJANG - 7.27.10, 1:17 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Full details & gallery:At last, I have nearly made it up to the present day on Tamiya chassis, before heading back into the past. This here is a "version 1" TA05 (V2 is out as of this writing) with a standard shock configuration. It's been sitting on a shelf for about 3 years now and finally emerges to hopefully take a place as the touring car representative in my intermediate- to long-term fleet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100725-tamiya-ta05-v1-mobil-1-sc-001.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	20082  
(Last edited by theJANG : 8.21.10 at 2:56 pm)
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by many other fellow members. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
(URC Founder)
"..."
theJANG - 7.27.10, 1:24 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
This is a rush build, so I will be posting fewer details than usual. The manual is available online and will be in the homage gallery soon enough as well if you want to see every detail
  1. Diffs! Ball diffs! These are hybrid metal/plastic units to cut down on costs a bit. As is the norm for modern Tamiyas, pre-assembled thrust bearing units are included, which really help speed up the assembly and reduce the chances of messing something up.
  2. Here are the identical front & rear assemblies completed. The belts are equal in length as well.
  3. Very quickly you get to see something that starts to look like it will eventually be a car. The cast motor & pulley mount is beautiful and incredibly light weight. They use a very fine sand for casting these and give them a matte anodizing coat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100726-tamiya-ta05-mobil-1-sc-001.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	20083  Click image for larger version

Name:	100726-tamiya-ta05-mobil-1-sc-003.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	20084  Click image for larger version

Name:	100726-tamiya-ta05-mobil-1-sc-004.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	20085  
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by many other fellow members. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
(URC Founder)
"..."
theJANG - 7.27.10, 1:33 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Starting the suspension...
  1. This is the rear. The arms are rigid FRP, but the mounts are a softer nylon. Surprisingly, bushings are not used on the stock suspension mounts, so inboard toe and squat adjustments require swapping in a full new mounting setup (not included).
  2. The tower allows quite a range of angle adjustments. Dogbone shafts are used at all four corners. Note that the inner hingepins are captured, but the outers are not.
  3. This is up front, and I found this stack to be intriguing. On top of the ball stud mounting tab goes this rounded triangle-shaped spacer that has two prings that key into unused holes. I think you can access any of the holes by rotating this piece. On top of that goes a more conventional spacer, then the ball stud itself, all held down by a long set screw.
  4. More progress up front. No further suprises so far.
  5. Steering installed. For a sport-level kit there's not much play in the steering rack, which I very much appreciate. What I don't appreciate is that one of the long set screws that holds down a bellcrank post was malformed. The die for some reason wasn't advancing when the rod was being manufactured, so it came out simply ridged, with no pitch to the thread. Took me quite awhile to figure this out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100726-tamiya-ta05-mobil-1-sc-005.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	20086  Click image for larger version

Name:	100726-tamiya-ta05-mobil-1-sc-006.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	20087  Click image for larger version

Name:	100726-tamiya-ta05-mobil-1-sc-007.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	20088  Click image for larger version

Name:	100726-tamiya-ta05-mobil-1-sc-008.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	20089  Click image for larger version

Name:	100726-tamiya-ta05-mobil-1-sc-009.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	20090  
(Last edited by theJANG : 8.21.10 at 3:09 am)
(URC Founder)
"..."
theJANG - 7.27.10, 1:42 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Continued...
  1. Front mini CVAs. That's oil-filled to you. Easy to assemble, plenty effective.
  2. Rears are identical except the manual specifies 0.5mm of preload per.
  3. As I installed the motor, I got to use The Longest Hex Wrench Ever Included In A Tamiya Kit. This definitely makes it easier to tighten that lower motor screw.
  4. Sigh. Once again Tamiya asks me to sacrifice a servo to make it usable exclusively in one vehicle. Just over half of the bottom right side tab (seen on the left the way this photo is oriented) of the servo has to be cut off. I again chose to sacrifice a cheap piece of crap clone "TowerPro MG995" eBay special servo for the purpose, at least for now. If it proves unbearable in performance, but the rest of the car treats me well, I'll step up.
  5. With a bunch of small details taken care of, this chassis is complete. Again +2mm wheels are used to bring the car to 190mm width, which I really don't appreciate. A set of 1mm spacers are available in an option parts pack to stack outside of the wheel hexes to adapt standard wheels, but that leaves too little contact between the hubs and the wheel hexes for my tastes. Would 2mm wider hexes really have been that difficult to include, I wonder? Oh, well.
I need to pick out an ESC obviously, but I believe I will use the Mabuchi in the car for starters, and just gear it to run nice & hot to get the most out of it until it wears out. I'll slip on Traxxas wide hex adapters to run my race wheels & tires.

I have yet to start on the body. I believe it's going to be a one-can paint job, but there are quite a number of decals included, spanning two separate sheets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100726-tamiya-ta05-mobil-1-sc-010.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	20091  Click image for larger version

Name:	100726-tamiya-ta05-mobil-1-sc-011.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	20092  Click image for larger version

Name:	100726-tamiya-ta05-mobil-1-sc-012.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	20093  Click image for larger version

Name:	100726-tamiya-ta05-mobil-1-sc-013.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	20094  Click image for larger version

Name:	100726-tamiya-ta05-mobil-1-sc-014.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	20095  
"Mr. Anderson"
WRCKing - 7.27.10, 10:15 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
A Super GT Lexus (toyota in JP), nice, very nice.
Is there going to be a video?
(_ ) ( _ ) ( _) ( _)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)>⌐╦╦═─
┌─┐
┴─┴
ಠ_ರೃ
"eheheheheh"
tamiyafier - 7.27.10, 3:08 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Awesome! Are there going to be build tips-not that I need them as I assembled mine much earlier-but it still helps with setup problems. I havent run mine yet, but im sure theres going to be a few niggles
"'You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.'- Wayne Gretzky"

-Michael Scott
(URC Founder)
"..."
theJANG - 7.30.10, 2:34 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Here it is all painted & detailed up. Before anyone points out that the body posts are not trimmed, let me just say, I am aware that the body posts are not trimmed I'm not going to trim them for this body, either. This body is never going to be run. It's going to be sold.

I had a chance to take the car out for a maiden run today, with the silver can motor and stock gearing, but scuffed & sauced tires. Slow, but oh, so predictable, and with good feedback. Excellent turn-in even with the crappolical TowerPro servo, and running underweight with a 4Ah lipo.

Definitely a good choice for my keeper.

Video? Probably eventually, once I get it set up.

Build tips? everything went together without a hitch by just following the instructions to the letter. I really had no complaints or complications. Setup will take some art and some science, but I don't expect there to be anything specifically tricky for this particular car, more just general stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100729-tamiya-ta05-mobil-1-sc-001.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	20129  
"Mr. Anderson"
WRCKing - 7.30.10, 5:45 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
perfect, just awesome Jang
(_ ) ( _ ) ( _) ( _)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)>⌐╦╦═─
┌─┐
┴─┴
ಠ_ರೃ
"Experienced user"
laferlita2007 - 7.31.10, 5:43 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
So your keeping this one Jang . Any Tamiya Hop-Ups on the way?.
"eheheheheh"
tamiyafier - 7.31.10, 6:16 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
What are you going to do with it?
"'You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.'- Wayne Gretzky"

-Michael Scott