Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 10.29.10, 8:24 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
But I can't just do it the easy way and buy the 8ight-B shock set. No no, that wouldn't require nearly enough effort. I want to use four shocks of the same size (FYI, 8ight-B rears and 8ight-T fronts are the same shock), so I get to work with the fabricatin'. First, a shock tower to hold the massive shocks.

Let's test fit that and see what we've got so far.

Pretty good. But the body post bracket has that stupid "ledge" on it, that hangs over the top of the stock shock tower. What to do. Oh, I'll flip the mount bracket upside down, and remount it an inch higher.

Excellent. Green (3.1 rate) 3.1" springs in the front, and black (3.4 rate) 3.1" springs in the rear. 20wt all around. The rear feels just about right with the #55 piston. The front feels too stiff, I have the 2.5 and 2.8 rate springs on the way to test in the front.

Also had to replace the pivot balls for the front shocks, build front and rear standoffs (PTFE impregnated delrin), and make lower spacers for the rear shocks to keep the shock springs from rubbing against the rear camber links.

They are phenomenal shocks, I must say. The build quality is fantastic, they're easy to build/tear down, and I don't think it's possible to bend one of the shafts. The truck drives so smooth now I can't even describe it. The 8ight shocks are in a completely different league in terms of performance.

Oh, and it takes half a bottle of shock oil to fill the four of them. :P
(Last edited by Dr. Isotope : 10.29.10 at 5:08 pm)
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 10.29.10, 5:10 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Oh, and lest I forget. Reppin' URC!!

There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"Stay Fit"
Corrupt - 10.29.10, 5:33 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Sick truck right there!

-Corrupt
TRX- Sla2sh, P2de, Rustler, Sl4sh Venom- Creeper TLR- 22b, 22t , Axial SCX-10, Tamiya TL01, Vaterra Twin Hammers, Losi Micro T, HeliMax 1SQ V-Cam, Syma S107G
-Corrupt
(URC Founder)
"Dory, Hunky"
theJANG - 10.29.10, 6:29 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
As George Takei once said, "Ohhh MYYyyyy!"
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by the rest of the URC community. Most questions asked of me directly can be answered sooner & better by the URC community.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I can only respond to important urgent, business-related, or security-related private messages. I cannot give personal diagnostic or product advice via PM. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
"Experienced user"
STEEL-CITY-CRWL - 10.29.10, 7:11 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
very nice shock tower. did you use a waterjet or a laser to cut that?

also, how much further up are the shock mounting holes on the new tower?

oh, yeah, and you can't go wrong with losi shocks. their crawler shocks are great. these look to be just larger versions of them.
(Last edited by STEEL-CITY-CRWL : 10.29.10 at 7:14 pm)
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 10.29.10, 10:04 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
No fancy machines here. That tower was made with a jigsaw, a drill press, and a dremel. The holes move out 1/4" on each side, and up 1 1/8". The shocks are right about 1" longer than the stock fronts, but I wanted to take some droop out of the front end, so I put the holes up a little higher.
"Experienced user"
FireFrenzy - 10.29.10, 11:01 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Hmmmm those are pretty damn shiney...

Does the massive ID give any noticable difference in normal driving or is it just to dampen the massive big air jumps?
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 10.30.10, 12:09 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
They do everything better. I was switching back and forth between an upgraded set of Traxxas shocks and a set of Associated T4 shocks, and the Losi shocks kill both of them in every performance aspect. The ability to run very light oil and springs, combined with the long travel, makes the difference in handling like night and day. The shocks respond with lightning quickness, but can easily handle the Slash coming down off of huge jumps. I mean, those are 4mm shafts on those shocks. The springs are so big, an entire Traxxas shock will fit inside of them.

As far as I'm concerned, the Slash is more 1/8th scale than 1/10th (you can just drop an SC8 body on it, after all), and it really benefits from going to a proper big-bore shock. I don't necessarily recommend going to the buggy rears all the way around (unless you have the ability to fabricate your own parts), but I do highly recommend the Losi shocks.
"Experienced user"
FireFrenzy - 10.30.10, 12:48 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
might be worth checking out if i can find some second hand ones for cheap... have to say i do like the look of those massive things quite alot (since they are also massivly external on backslashes why not show them off?)

Are the screw holes Compatible or do you need to tinker with those?
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 10.30.10, 8:24 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
The lowers are standard 3mm holes. The uppers are a goods bit bigger than 1/10th scale shocks, you'll either need to buy the losi standoffs, make some to fit, or use washers and fuel tubing. I used some 1/4" fuel line for testing when I was fabricating the standoffs.