Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
FireFrenzy - 3.26.13, 10:24 pm Post #1681: | Reply With Quote
well doc i wasnt trying to WIN... I dont have the technology availible for me to do that...
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 3.27.13, 11:02 am Post #1682: | Reply With Quote
Some more tinkering thanks to a nice box from McMaster.
  • Replaced the already new and un-run side wings, because the bodymount holes on one were about 3/16" off from the other side, a product of my own mistake of using the old wings as templates instead of just starting fresh.
  • Finished and routed all wiring for the headlights, including Techflex sleeving (on servo lead as well)
  • Will be experimenting with a prototyped Kydex front shock tower. It's got some flex (less than a typical RPM piece) but it's also one third the weight of the tower that came off.
  • Replaced rear delrin skidplate with an extended skid made from 1/8" Kydex, which extends all the way back to protect the bottom of the SC8 bumper, which hangs about 1/2" below the mounts, and was prone to hanging up on... stuff.

Weight dropped 0.2oz to 6lbs 2.4oz for the "slider," which is really the only way I'm scaling it now outside of balancing and tuning. For fab work, I ignore the "BIg 3," the three pounds I can't do anything about: tires, battery, body. I of course realize that I could have hit my 6lb slider goal by just omitting the lights and doing some more trimming on the bumpers, etc, but I'll find a way to shave that weight elsewhere. The front upper chassis is just a big plank of G10, it weighs about 2.5oz by itself.

Went through all of the turnbuckles and set them to "zero" then set the appropriate angles.

Front (droop/ride-height/compression) : -2, -1, -2
Rear (droop/ride-height/compression) : -6, -2, -4

The toe angles undergo the same gain-loss-gain as the suspension cycles. The front end is running 1/16" of cumulative toe-in, which cycles to 1/16" toe-out at both full droop and full compression. The rear is 3/8" toe-in at RH, which cycles to 3/16" toe-in at full droop and compression.

There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 3.27.13, 3:52 pm Post #1683: | Reply With Quote
New shoes. Picked up a set of Duratrax Lockups, mostly just because Tower now carries DE Trinidads. And I love me some Trinidads. But knowing what most SC tires look like with the throttle wide open, I knew that taping them would be a necessity. I wasn't going to use Gorilla Tape this time around, because it didn't do a tremendous job when I did a set of Gladiators-- the tape is just too thick, and won't conform well to the tire.

I remembered that BaldyDaniels over on the Traxxas forums has been a proponent of using carpet tape for some time now, so on my last trip to the Lowe's, I picked up a roll. In his method, he uses two layers of carpet tape, and just leaves the sticky side exposed. I don't want open faced "stickiest tape in the world" in my tires, because with my luck, the foam will bunch up and be stuck that way forever. So in the same area as the carpet tape, I noticed-- of all things-- clear duct tape. Which looked really thin-- and it is. Really thin. I did one layer of carpet tape, then an overlapping layer of clear duct tape over it. The two layers combined is less than half a millimeter thick, and adds about 10g per tire. The tires are still nice and pliable.

For a performance comparison, the trusty untaped Rodeoo at full throttle on the left, and the brand new taped Lockup on the right.

Oh, I also replaced the front bearing in the T8 (the 5x16x5) with an ABEC-7 VXB double sealed bearing-- which I found on Amazon, of all places. It's not ceramic, but neither was the bearing that came out. The truck has never been quieter. It's stealthy quiet now.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"Experienced user"
ILikeWaffles - 3.27.13, 4:05 pm Post #1684: | Reply With Quote
How is the compound on those tires? That tread looks mighty fine for some all-terrain use.
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 3.27.13, 4:17 pm Post #1685: | Reply With Quote
Duratrax says their C2 compound is similar to ProLine M3 or AKA Softs, and it feels pretty close. Somewhere between a JConcepts Blue and Green. Which is fine by me-- I would take them in even harder compound if they made them. I make so much power, I just roast softer compound tires. I was goofing around on pavement with a set of ProLine Knuckles 2.0, and I coated the entire inside of the body in rubber dust.
"Experienced user"
FireFrenzy - 3.27.13, 10:22 pm Post #1686: | Reply With Quote
Quick captain! It is sneaking up on us!

Active sonar, 1 ping, get me a firing solution!

PING

Sir, we are not getting a return!

"Well it has been an honor serving with you"

At which point the SLASH8 launches a torpedo blowing the hapless sub to bits
"Insert Witty Phrase Here."
Soulforged - 3.27.13, 10:30 pm Post #1687: | Reply With Quote
ive run the duratrax lockup's in the past, they are rather good i found. used them right up until i stripped a wheel hex. ive been lazy and haven't acetoned them off yet. not the tires fault, still, i have no complaints about the lockup's in my experiences.
You Say " I am canadian =)" Varchild says, "everyone has thier faults"
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 3.27.13, 10:31 pm Post #1688: | Reply With Quote
We didn't load the torpedoes. It's always RAMMING SPEED. Straight to the briny depths!
"Experienced user"
FireFrenzy - 3.28.13, 12:28 am Post #1689: | Reply With Quote
Yarr matie you land lubbin' sods!
"Experienced user"
jhue73 - 3.28.13, 1:52 pm Post #1690: | Reply With Quote
i got a set of lockups about a month ago for my losi, they are ok.

quick question doc, have you ever broke an strc layshaft before? i just did coming off a bad jump for some strange reason it sheared the roll pin. it is strange cause i landed upside down.