Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Slash B4"
ORANGEm0ney - 1.12.11, 10:36 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
My VXL-3S ESC blinks RED after I run it for about 1 minute on a fully charged Lipo battery, 2S.

I was running it on some snow on the road.

Why does it blink red?
(Last edited by ORANGEm0ney : 1.12.11 at 10:43 am)
Brushless
"Shabam"
gaaunapoi - 1.12.11, 10:53 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
VXL-3s LED Codes and Protection Modes
Solid Green: VXL-3s power on light. Low-Voltage Detection is ON (LiPo setting).
Solid Red: VXL-3s power on light. Low-Voltage Detection is OFF (NiCad/NiMH setting).
Fast Blinking Red: Thermal Shutdown Protection Stage 1. If the motor has lower than normal power and the
VXL-3s is hot, the VXL-3s has entered Stage 1 Thermal Shutdown Protection to guard against overheating caused
by excessive current flow. If the motor has no power and the VXL-3s is very hot, the VXL-3s has entered Stage 2
Thermal Shutdown Protection and has automatically shut down. Let the VXL-3s cool. Make sure your model is
properly geared for the conditions.
Slow Blinking Red (with Low-Voltage Detection on): The VXL-3s has entered Low-Voltage Protection. When
the battery voltage begins to reach the minimum recommended discharge voltage threshold for LiPo battery
packs, the VXL-3s will limit the power output to 50% throttle. When the battery voltage attempts to fall below the
minimum threshold, the VXL-3s will shut down all motor output. The LED on the speed control will slowly blink
red, indicating a low-voltage shutdown. The VXL-3s will stay in this mode until a fully charged battery is connected.
Alternating; Blinks Red then Green: If the motor has no power, the VXL-3s has entered Over Voltage Protection.
If a battery with too high voltage is used, the VXL-3s will go into a failsafe mode. Warning: If input voltage exceeds
approximately 20-volts, the ESC may be damaged. Do not exceed 12.6 maximum peak input voltage.
Blinking Green: The VXL-3s is indicating the transmitter Throttle Trim is incorrectly set. Adjust the Throttle Trim to
the middle 0 setting.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it.
It's not a Hobby, It's a Passion.
"Experienced user"
RcDeStRoYeR - 7.22.11, 7:47 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
gaaunapoi said
VXL-3s LED Codes and Protection Modes
Solid Green: VXL-3s power on light. Low-Voltage Detection is ON (LiPo setting).
Solid Red: VXL-3s power on light. Low-Voltage Detection is OFF (NiCad/NiMH setting).
Fast Blinking Red: Thermal Shutdown Protection Stage 1. If the motor has lower than normal power and the
VXL-3s is hot, the VXL-3s has entered Stage 1 Thermal Shutdown Protection to guard against overheating caused
by excessive current flow. If the motor has no power and the VXL-3s is very hot, the VXL-3s has entered Stage 2
Thermal Shutdown Protection and has automatically shut down. Let the VXL-3s cool. Make sure your model is
properly geared for the conditions.
Slow Blinking Red (with Low-Voltage Detection on): The VXL-3s has entered Low-Voltage Protection. When
the battery voltage begins to reach the minimum recommended discharge voltage threshold for LiPo battery
packs, the VXL-3s will limit the power output to 50% throttle. When the battery voltage attempts to fall below the
minimum threshold, the VXL-3s will shut down all motor output. The LED on the speed control will slowly blink
red, indicating a low-voltage shutdown. The VXL-3s will stay in this mode until a fully charged battery is connected.
Alternating; Blinks Red then Green: If the motor has no power, the VXL-3s has entered Over Voltage Protection.
If a battery with too high voltage is used, the VXL-3s will go into a failsafe mode. Warning: If input voltage exceeds
approximately 20-volts, the ESC may be damaged. Do not exceed 12.6 maximum peak input voltage.
Blinking Green: The VXL-3s is indicating the transmitter Throttle Trim is incorrectly set. Adjust the Throttle Trim to
the middle 0 setting.
But what if I'm running it on an 8 or 7 cell NiMH and it is doing the same thing and slowly blinkig red
"Experienced user"
IPLAYFORKEEPS - 7.23.11, 8:44 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
You may still have it in low voltage detection mode even if your using a NIMH.

Verify that Low-Voltage Detection is DISABLED:
1. Turn on the transmitter (with the throttle at neutral).
2. Connect a fully charged battery pack to the VXL-3s.
3. Press and release the EZ-Set button to turn the VXL-3s on. If the LED is solid red, then the Low-Voltage Detection is DISABLED (not safe to use LiPo
batteries). If the LED is solid green, then Low-Voltage Detection is ACTIVATED.

For more info check out your manual or this online version

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...l_100112_0.pdf
(Last edited by IPLAYFORKEEPS : 7.23.11 at 8:48 am)
Team Holy Rollers
"Experienced user"
RcDeStRoYeR - 7.23.11, 9:51 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Hey thanks man that helped alot
"Experienced user"
RC KIDD - 3.24.12, 9:08 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
I also have a problem with my traxxas esc when i turn it on it stays solid green and everthing else works fine i cant figure it out
"Experienced user"
vxlslashbasher9 - 11.07.12, 2:12 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
my vxl blinks fast green, but changing the trim does not help
Help?!?!?!?
(Last edited by vxlslashbasher9 : 11.07.12 at 2:18 pm)
my running: slash vxl, solid axle rustler, rustler xl 1
no longer have: 1/16 slash 4x4, rustler xl 5, tmaxx 1.5, summit titan 775

"Experienced Noob"
noavia73 - 11.08.12, 4:01 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
vxlslashbasher9 said
my vxl blinks fast green, but changing the trim does not help
Help?!?!?!?
I'm sure you did this but just double checking:

1. Turn off ESC
2. Turn off transmitter
3. Set throttle trim to zero
4. Turn on transmitter
5. Turn on ESC
ECX Ruckus | Blade Scout CX | Axial SCX-10 Dingo | Axial SCX-10 Honcho
"Experienced user"
vxlslashbasher9 - 11.08.12, 6:05 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
yes i did that, but i fixed the problem by unplugging the esc from receiver, then turned everything back on
my running: slash vxl, solid axle rustler, rustler xl 1
no longer have: 1/16 slash 4x4, rustler xl 5, tmaxx 1.5, summit titan 775

"Experienced user"
David Brock - 12.16.12, 2:54 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Was running my Slash 4wd in a nudding area. got blinking red light and it was cold. Got washed and let the truck dry. Now I plug a battery in the stearing works fine. No Throttle foward or reverse, The esc blinks 1 red then 2 red, then 3 red and starts over again..... Any ideas?