Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
rc_newbie - 2.09.11, 1:04 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hey guys, I just recently bought a used slash 2wd, everything is stock,I was wondering whats a good upgrade without going brushless. It doesn't have to be the fastest, I just want something reliable yet faster than stock. Thanks
(URC Founder)
"Dory, Hunky"
theJANG - 2.09.11, 1:27 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Under $100? How about $66?

Get this:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-60a-...-1-10-car.html

And this:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m24-car-3650-3500.html

Shipping is free, and just like that, you're brushless! Ten times better than any brushed motor setup. It just requires that you solder up one set of connectors, then you're golden.
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by the rest of the URC community. Most questions asked of me directly can be answered sooner & better by the URC community.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I can only respond to important urgent, business-related, or security-related private messages. I cannot give personal diagnostic or product advice via PM. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
"Big Talkin Know Nothin"
federally - 2.09.11, 1:35 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Yeah Jang nailed it for you. It's pretty affordable to go brushless nowadays, no reason not to. No brushes, no maintanence and slow degredation of motor performance. Brushless is the way to go
Electrix Ruckus EzRun 60amp esc + Vxl motor
Axial SCX10 Sidewinder Sv2 + Tacon 1200kv motor

Sparta, TN
"Experienced user"
FireFrenzy - 2.09.11, 1:45 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
/me approves of this

That is the sane way of doing it... Me i've never been one for "sane" and i run a 6000kv ezrun combo (the 5.5t set)... Goes, as they say on topgear, like the clappers and no real mainenance required...
"Experienced user"
rc_newbie - 2.09.11, 2:10 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
TheJANG said
Under $100? How about $66?

Get this:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-60a-...-1-10-car.html

And this:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m24-car-3650-3500.html

Shipping is free, and just like that, you're brushless! Ten times better than any brushed motor setup. It just requires that you solder up one set of connectors, then you're golden.
Will I need to use lipo batteries with this? Do local hobby shop sell these? I was hoping to get something soon, like this morning lol, in all seriousness though, I know nothing about brushless, more like i dont know much about this hobby. Il go to my local shop first and see what they have, if its a big price difference then il just order it online. Thanks!
"Experienced user"
AWD FTW - 2.09.11, 5:37 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
+1 to what they say. You can even get the Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT and 3800kv brushless motor combo from ebay for under $100 shipping included.

No need to waste money on a brushed system. Brushless will make you a much happier person
"Experienced user"
patrick27md - 2.09.11, 6:00 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
AWD FTW said
+1 to what they say. You can even get the Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT and 3800kv brushless motor combo from ebay for under $100 shipping included.

No need to waste money on a brushed system. Brushless will make you a much happier person
This is actually what I did. I got the Sidewinder SCT for $80.
Slash 2wd
RPM: side bumpers, front and rear A arms, front bumper w/ lights.
CC: Sidewinder SCT 3800kv
2s LiPos, AC6 charger/balancer
"Just Chillen!"
guys2nv - 2.09.11, 8:53 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
I'm gonna have to agree w/ everyone above me. Going brushless is super affordable nowadays (the only reason I finally switched from nitro was the price-but I still own a nitro revo). You could easily get acouple 2s lipo's/A lipo charger and a reliable brushless combo for about $150.
| Serpent 811T-E | Tamiya TRF 801XT-E |
| Hyper 9e | Slash 4x4 STRC LCG |
| Stampede 4x4 | Stampede | Blitz |
| Futaba 4PLS Controls 'em All |

(URC Founder)
"Dory, Hunky"
theJANG - 2.09.11, 11:03 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
rc_newbie said
Will I need to use lipo batteries with this?
You do not need LiPo to run a mild to intermediate brushless system. LiPo is better than NiMh, but not a requirement. As long as you don't gear aggressively and go crazy with extreme starts & stops on a high-traction surface or driving through thick grass, most 3000mah+ NiMHs will handle a system like this.

By now you must have visited the local hobby shop. What did you find? Did they even have any brushed motors at all? Many don't anymore.
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by the rest of the URC community. Most questions asked of me directly can be answered sooner & better by the URC community.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I can only respond to important urgent, business-related, or security-related private messages. I cannot give personal diagnostic or product advice via PM. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
"Maaaaaad"
4x4CRlSPY - 2.09.11, 3:37 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Ive actually owned both a 15 and 17 t modified motors. not sure if there faster, but they seem like there somewhat faster compared to the original 12 t. usually, you will find that the less turns, the more speed. but modified motors are beast. other than that I would say brushless