Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Sazzlefrats - 2.13.11, 7:59 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I just want to make sure I dont' smoke my brand new EVX-2. I am running an older emaxx with 2 of the 19t epic camelion II's. I put on a brand new EVX-2 esc, and I am tinkering around with two blue lipo's 2s 5000mah 20c batteries.

It's got enough power to do a standing backflip, this is with aluminum skid plates front & back. The batteries after 3 minutes were cold, the motors were still cold, but... the ESC was very hot, I couldn't hold my fingers to the heatsinks.

Is something wrong, or am I just overworrying?
"Check this out!...it broke..."
SpeadFreek - 2.13.11, 8:17 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Something IS wrong. Im not familiar with the EVX-2s, but as with ANY rc motor, wires, esc, it should NEVER be too hot to touch. Check your EVX manual and make sure its supposed to be able to handle 2s lipo @ 5000mah. Other than that info, id say dont run those lipos again until you can find out the problem. Good luck
~****~~SPEADFREEK~~****~
If you're running stock, there's something WRONG with your brain!
"Experienced user"
Sazzlefrats - 2.13.11, 8:31 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
yeah it doesn't mention lipo's. Its rated for up to 16.8v, and I'm running 7.4v x 2 or 14.8v so I was thinking I'd be okay, but maybe the ESC is looking for either 14.4 or 16.8. and if I feed it something else it'll freak out and get too hot? I was also wondering if perhaps I need higher discharge rate batteries ... mine are 20c.

Mostly I was hoping someone else tried this out before me and I can learn from that instead of making a big ooops.
SpeadFreek - 2.13.11, 8:50 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Found out your problem Sazzle. The EVX-2 is NOT rated for LIPOS at all. Youd be lucky if your esc still worked. The EVX-2 is rated for 6-14 cells (7.2 to 16.8 volts DC) NON lipo. Hope this info helps and stick to nimh with that esc
~****~~SPEADFREEK~~****~
"Crazier than Gary Busey"
Morganlea361 - 2.13.11, 9:01 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
The esc can handle lipos all day. I use lipos on my evx-2 without a problem as do a lot of people on here. Something is wrong with your gearing (too low) or you're binding somewhere. It would be a good idea to install a low voltage cut-off or alarm just to prevent over-discharge.
yeah it's got a hemi
"Experienced user"
bigdude191 - 2.13.11, 9:17 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
yup, just need low voltage protection. most people run lipo on evx2.
SpeadFreek - 2.13.11, 9:39 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Why doesnt it say so ANYWHERE on traxxas website that its supposed to accept lipos? If it works it works, but why doesnt it say so?
~****~~SPEADFREEK~~****~
"Crazier than Gary Busey"
Morganlea361 - 2.13.11, 10:01 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Any speed control can accept lipos as long as you stay within the voltage limits. Besides, the traxxas wedbsite doesn't say it can't handle lipos either.
yeah it's got a hemi
SpeadFreek - 2.13.11, 3:57 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
"Any speed control can accept lipos as long as you stay within the voltage limits" <-- That doesnt quite sound right to me...at all :\
And usually when a company that makes ESCs sell their esc, they are proud to list LIPO capable as being an option...which traxxas clearly doesnt. Once again, not saying your wrong but it just doesnt sound right to me. Id go with an esc that speficially says LIPO.
~****~~SPEADFREEK~~****~
"Experienced user"
mack29 - 2.13.11, 4:13 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
i ran 2 2s lipo 14.8 20c 5000mah on a evx-2 in a e-maxx with a novak lvc with no heat heat issues. stock gearing