Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 7.10.11, 12:17 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hi everyone.

I did a quick search, but for some reason on this computer that I am on the search doesn't seem to work very well, so I'll just throw this out here.

I know it's not good to store LiPo batteries at a full charge for long periods of time, but I was wondering how long can you safely store them at full charge without doing anything to harm the battery itself??

For instance, I work a late shift at work, and when I get home I generally only have about 45 minutes to an hour of daylight left, and that's just going to get less as the year gets older.

So, is it okay for me to charge my battery packs one night, then let them sit until the next evening when I come home to use them?? Will sitting at full charge for about 20 hours do any harm to the battery??

I have been trying to get home quicly and charge them then use them, but I'm running into the problem of it simply being too dark by the time I'm done charging to get any good driving time in.

Thanks.
In Life, Try to be the Kind of Person Your Dog Thinks You Are...
Torment, Boost, C4rcu4t, Bullhead, Summit, Telluride, Trail Trekker, Night Vapor, UM T-28, Archer, Firebird Stratos, Duet, Tidewater, DJI Phantom, Nano QX, Proto X Nano, Scout CX, Power Vee, Bristol Bay, Duck, Volere
"Unexercised Peer"
el_tonto - 7.10.11, 2:33 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
You can leave them fully charged all year, if you like. Storing a LiPo with full charge won't kill it; it will just accelerate the natural "decay" that the LiPo experiences. A properly stored LiPo will lose about 5% of its capacity per year. Not charge, but capacity: so after a year a 5000mAh pack will only take 4750mAh. If you store it fully charged it might lose 10% to 15% of it's capacity, so a 5000mAh pack might only accept 4500mAh or less after one year.

So it's not terribly tragic to store a fully-charged LiPo for days or even weeks.

Another factor is temperature: A LiPo stored in a warm environment will lose capacity faster than one stored in a cool environment. So if you live in a really warm place, it might be wise to leave a fully-charged LiPo only for a few days, else you're really going to accelerate the deterioration.
(Last edited by el_tonto : 7.10.11 at 2:36 am)
"Experienced user"
phildogg - 7.10.11, 5:02 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Storing fully charged is also supposed to raise the IR of the pack which is like lowering the c rating. The higher the IR of the pack the worse it performs.
phildogg6atyahoo.com
slash 4x4
lx-1E
TC4
castle powered
"Experienced user"
sv650touring - 7.10.11, 11:45 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
If leaving it charged for days at a time will let you run a few more packs a week, then GO FOR IT.

Unless you really need the cutting edge, the your lipos should be cheap anyways. Daylight is a lot more precious than a slightly better battery performance! And don't be stingy with the amps when you're charging either. Charging modern lipos below 2C is a waste of time, (maybe) time you could be driving. Gens Ace says 5C is cool, but that would take a serous charger.
"A little bit of everything"
User Unrelated - 7.10.11, 12:04 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
25A is a TON of amps! (I have 5000MAh's) my charger can only charge 5A anyway haha I'll try charging my 1300 mini Gens Ace LiPo's at 2 or 3C, and see how much faster they charge.

I had been wondering the same thing, because both my LiPo ready trucks are out of commision until parts come in, and that's a few days.
just wondering if it would be wise to toss them on storage mode, but it should only be about 4 days, so I'll just save myself the time.
Has almost too many RC's.
"Experienced user"
sv650touring - 7.10.11, 12:54 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Lipos have a very high charging efficiency, and basically if you charge at double the amps, it will take half the time.

My charger is also limited to 5A and the power supply I use will only give me 4.5A to use when I charge a 3S. IT saves me from doing any math. All car batteries get full power, and they never even get warm.

Unless you're storing them for months, full charge is lovely.
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 7.10.11, 6:11 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.

I'll start charging them the night before, and then driving when I get home.

That will get me a ton more trigger time, especially on days that I work.
Torment, Boost, C4rcu4t, Bullhead, Summit, Telluride, Trail Trekker, Night Vapor, UM T-28, Archer, Firebird Stratos, Duet, Tidewater, DJI Phantom, Nano QX, Proto X Nano, Scout CX, Power Vee, Bristol Bay, Duck, Volere
"Experienced user"
AMA4Life - 7.10.11, 6:45 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Store the full charged LiPos in your refrigerator....

cold (not below freezing) helps the LiPo tolerate being stored fully charged.

Its good to store any LiPo in the refrigerator.
40+ years flying FF, CL, RC
Intermittent RC car ops

My Sport Werks Chaos .050 glow still runs, needs clutch reline again.
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 7.10.11, 8:21 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
I've heard that.

I actually have a nice six pack refrigerator that my wife used to keep soda cold while she was in college. It gets about 30 degrees cooler than the room temperatures, and generally keeps things right about 38 degrees.

It's the perfect size for a couple of LiPo packs in their charging bag!!
"Experienced user"
Evilnox - 7.11.11, 10:25 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Gimpdiggity said
It's the perfect size for a couple of LiPo packs in their charging bag!!
Haha nice. But how dare you take beer out of it's home for batteries.

I plan on putting mine in my fire safe. I don't have anything in it that can't be moved. I also ordered some lipo fire safe bags for when I charge or transport the packs.

I won't be putting mine in a refrigerator though. But the basement stays pretty cool and the fire safe should keep my house from burning down.