Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"New user"
Reignsealy - 7.13.11, 11:18 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hello, I have a Traxxas Stampede XL-5WP RTR and I seem to have a constant problem with the motor burning out. I have had the motor replaced 4 times. and they have took out the 23 pinion and sent me a 5th motor with a 19 pinion. I have been told that i should be using a 11 pinion, is this right??

What is the maximum battery i can use for this electric car and can i use a Lipo battery and is this better than a series 4, 7 cell battery, 4200 mAh.

What is the main difference between the XL (which is what i have) and the VXL??

Please can someone please get back to me as i am not using the car at the mo as i am worried about burning another motor out again, cheers
"Experienced user"
Evil genius jr. - 7.13.11, 11:37 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
The VXL version has a better and faster motor that wont burn out.
Brushlesshobbies.com
DESC410
"Used User"
dglewis89 - 7.13.11, 11:38 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Are you breaking in the motors before you run them hard? Running in water/dust/mud will decrease their lifespan significantly. It also helps to clean them after a every few runs and oil the bushings. I'm not sure what the stock gearing is the Stampede, but that's what you should run.

A 2s lipo will give about the same punch as the 7 cell(a little more in my experience) But you should only run lipo if your xl5 has lipo cutoff.

The xl5 is a "brushed". ESC, it can handle down to 15T motors. The VXL is the "brushless" ESC they use with the Velineon brushless motor.
Losi: XXX-SCT, XXX-T, Jr. T, Mini-T, Micro-T. HPI: Savage X E-Conversion. Traxxas: Mid Motor Rustler, Stampede. Axial: SCX10. Blade: Nano QX.
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 7.13.11, 12:05 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
buy a temp gun, don't let your motor go above 160, check your temps every couple of minutes until you get to the 160 mark. record your settings so you know what the limitations are for surface type, tire condition and run time. If you want to extend your run time, then gear it down until you find the combination that works best for you.

A properly broken in in motor (brushes formed to the shape of the commutator) will run far more efficiently (cooler) and provide far more power than a stock motor right out of the box.

I've seen RTR's right out of the box with no mods burn up a motor in as little as 10 min at the race track

It's VERY important to break in a brushed motor
Club Racer: SCT + eBuggy + GT8e + GT18e + USGT + VTA + M12
Basher:
Monster Trucks + Crawlers + Drifters + Motorcycles

"Uninexperienced User"
seth556 - 7.14.11, 7:38 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Break it in, plus Traxxas likes to over gear their motors so they go faster which sells cars. On the flip side it makes the motor run very hot and makes them burn up pretty easily.
"Experienced user"
rupert - 7.14.11, 1:45 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
The 11 tooth gear will be a huge improvement in motor life.