Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
ITS ME DAVID - 8.05.11, 8:54 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I'm buying a losi ten-scte and was looking at a new Esc motor setup and was wondering is running a sensored motor Esc setup that much better then a sensorless brushless system?
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 8.05.11, 9:01 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
I have a sensored setup in my ST, and a sensorless setup in my MT.

The sensorless is faster, for sure, but it's not nearly as smooth.

The easiest way to explain a sensored system's "feel" on the trigger is that it feels just like a brushed motor, but faster.

It took very little time for me to adjust to the sensored system coming from the brushed system in the same truck. The feel of it was the same, it was just faster.

The sensorless system doesn't seem as refined, but it is faster.

Oh, I also don't know if it's just me...but the sensored motor runs a bit hotter. I've read that this isn't uncommon, but I'm not sure how common it actually is.
In Life, Try to be the Kind of Person Your Dog Thinks You Are...
Torment, Boost, C4rcu4t, Bullhead, Summit, Telluride, Trail Trekker, Night Vapor, UM T-28, Archer, Firebird Stratos, Duet, Tidewater, DJI Phantom, Nano QX, Proto X Nano, Scout CX, Power Vee, Bristol Bay, Duck, Volere
"Experienced user"
AMA4Life - 8.05.11, 9:02 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Sensored gives much smoother throttle control, especially in the low end.

You can prove that sensored vs sensorless doesn't have much difference in top end...

Take a modern sensored system and disconnect the sensor. It will run in sensorless mode. Since you are using the same ESC and same motor its a fair comparison.
40+ years flying FF, CL, RC
Intermittent RC car ops

My Sport Werks Chaos .050 glow still runs, needs clutch reline again.
"Experienced user"
shadoflame - 8.05.11, 9:08 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
sensored also gives more consistent braking.
"Experienced user"
ITS ME DAVID - 8.05.11, 9:30 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
How about throttle response if you barely tap the throttle does it respond more with no cogging?
"Experienced user"
DrFizz2k1 - 8.05.11, 9:32 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
the question is somewhat vague... For what purpose will you MOSTLY be using the truck/system? Strictly on a track? Bashing? IMHO both types of systems have their place. I feel like the sensored are more at home on a track where you want precise and smooth throttle and brake control and sensorless is more for bashing type uses where the fine touch doesnt matter as much. Sensorless motors tend to lean more twards the brute force rather than finesse. A nice 4 pol sensorless motor CAN feel almost as refined as a sensored motor though so quality will matter here.
AE SC10 Factory Team w/ Tekin RS Pro & Tekin 10.5
Axial SCX10 Dingo Kit w/MMP & Tekin ROC412 1800kv
Vaterra V100-C Touring Car
AE RC18T w/ Cheap Chinese Brushless
Blade 350 QX / Nano QX / CX2 / MSR, All on DX6i
"Experienced user"
ITS ME DAVID - 8.05.11, 9:35 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Only racing indoor 1/10 track.
"Experienced user"
DrFizz2k1 - 8.05.11, 9:36 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
sensored systems will let you creep and almost no throttle input at all, and barely move with no cogging... you could use a "fast" sensored system in a crawler if you wanted to.. if you had a good trigger finger.. and radio.. LOL.. it will be butter smooth from dead stop to top speed.. and very small changes in trigger will net very small changes in motor speed... there are no "surprise" moments of speed bursts woth a sensored system..
AE SC10 Factory Team w/ Tekin RS Pro & Tekin 10.5
Axial SCX10 Dingo Kit w/MMP & Tekin ROC412 1800kv
Vaterra V100-C Touring Car
AE RC18T w/ Cheap Chinese Brushless
Blade 350 QX / Nano QX / CX2 / MSR, All on DX6i
"Experienced user"
RC*PHREAK - 8.05.11, 9:39 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
here's the deal....

imo, sensored is definitely an advantage with the lighter weight 2wd vehicles. 1/10 2wd buggies, 1/10 ST's, 1/10 SC's all do very well sensored where you have to be at least a bit more precise with throttle control. in the heavier 4wd vehicle's, 1/10 4x4SC, 1/8 buggy, 1/8 truggy, the advantage of sensored becomes minimal if any at all. on those vehicle's you're always mashing on the throttle and the power can get you out of trouble as easily as get you into it. look at it this way. the RX8 is widely considered the best 1/8 ESC, but like the mmp, it does not run sensored 100% of the time. it only runs sensored at very slow speeds to avoid the initial cog on starts. honestly, who cares if it cogs at crawling speeds in any of the above mentioned vehicles (the heavier ones) where you spend .1% of the time driving it?

sensored is much more of a luxury than a necessity in 4x4SC and 1/8 scale vehicles.
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 8.05.11, 9:40 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
I have zero cogging at all with my sensored motor. I can literally drive it smoothly at a pace slower than what I walk at, and it doesn't jump or stutter at all.
In Life, Try to be the Kind of Person Your Dog Thinks You Are...
Torment, Boost, C4rcu4t, Bullhead, Summit, Telluride, Trail Trekker, Night Vapor, UM T-28, Archer, Firebird Stratos, Duet, Tidewater, DJI Phantom, Nano QX, Proto X Nano, Scout CX, Power Vee, Bristol Bay, Duck, Volere